Does anyone have a clue

revor

Explorer
If it's illegal to drive through Arizona on UK plates?

Shouldn't be if it's properly registered in the UK and has insurance.. Right?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
If you're talking personal non-commercial, I've never heard of any state where it's illegal to drive a foreign registered vehicle. A Carnet de Passage isn't required in the US.

Toyotero

Explorer
Be sure to bring papers showing that you are in the country legally. UK plates might be "reasonable suspicion" to suspect you are illegal and throw you in the clink if you don't have your papers in order.

:-/

If it's illegal to drive through Arizona on UK plates?

Shouldn't be if it's properly registered in the UK and has insurance.. Right?

Viggen

Just here...
Keep the registration handy. When I was into Audis and VW's I used to roll around with Holland plates and I was nicked once and issued a $60 ticket. Each state has its own laws on its license plates. Just be prepared to be pulled over.

JEFFSGTP

Observer
Acording to this you should be Legal:

28-2322. License plate requirement for nonresident's foreign vehicle
A person shall not operate a foreign vehicle owned by a nonresident on a highway and a nonresident owner shall not knowingly permit the foreign vehicle to be operated on a highway unless there is displayed on the vehicle the license plates assigned to the vehicle for the current registration year by the state or country of which the owner is a resident.

Taken directly from AZ statute site:
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/02322.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

I would print it out and take it with you if your worried about it. :)

Scott Brady

Founder
I drive around with Guatemalan plates. . .

Just make sure the docs are in order. If your name is not on the docs, have a power of attorney or letter of authorization from the owner to drive it.

Easy

glr

Observer
It was me that it happened to, when Keith found out the statute I relayed it to the officer and he told me that i was wasteing his time and as he was a highway patrol office i was not to question his judgement. He effectivly told us to leave the state asap or be fined for no licenceplates. we had all relevent data. effictivly i believe the guy was a tosser!

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
That's about the time that I would have asked to speak to his superior. Obviously, being a foreigner your approach might have different given your location (Arizona) and their current attitudes towards people not from Arizona (for instance, Texans). Still, this guy took a very wrong track in dealing with a law-abiding visitor to this country and should be called on it- even if from a safe distance.

High Center

Adventurer
It was me that it happened to, when Keith found out the statute I relayed it to the officer and he told me that i was wasteing his time and as he was a highway patrol office i was not to question his judgement. He effectivly told us to leave the state asap or be fined for no licenceplates. we had all relevent data. effictivly i believe the guy was a tosser!

Horrible welcome committee-
Don't let that Rozzer speak for all of us.

Cheers!
DB

glr

Observer
DB,
my gf is a yank, and her father is a retired cop so ho probs there. What pissed me off most is we didn't get to complete the final day of the 'Bullrun' rally.

lwg

Wow, that's really unfortunate. Some Arizona officers are really set on giving that state a bad name. I guess it falls into the old saying, "One bad apple..."

JEFFSGTP

Observer
wow...sounds like he would fit right in with T.P.W.D. officers here in Texas. just for curiosity's sake, how old was this guy...did he look young or like a 15+yr seasoned cop...I am betting on the young side. Anyway...I say to the O.P. print the webpage out and keep it with you...he can't refute statutes shown to him...and if he tries...politely ask for his supervisor to respond or offer to follow him to a location they can meet up with his supervisor...if he refuses, once your released locate either the department he works for or nearest state police/highway patrol post and report the incident...Law Enforcement Officers have a lot of power (I would know), BUT that DOES NOT give them the right to act as Judge, Jury and Executioner (so to speak)...I am not so big of a man that I wouldn't admit when I was wrong, especially if it was shown to me. I would politely apologize and press on with my day having learned something new...and if I am in the right...well my signature says enough on my tenacity to fight being wronged.:victory:

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
I thought ignorance of the law was no excuse, I guess the cop that stopped you was unaware of that.;)

James86004

Expedition Leader
I had a complaint about DPS (Arizona's highway patrol) and wrote the director a good old fashioned letter. I got a quick and satisfactory response. Perhaps you should do the same.

Robert Halliday
Director
Arizona Department of Public Safety
PO BOX 6638
PHOENIX AZ 85005-6638

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles