More Suburban work

wilson_

HAH! Chasing Vegas to Reno about 4-5 years ago or so my Sub started running worse and worse and worse. Of course this was in the middle of the night, in the middle of Nevada.....

When we did finally get to Reno none of the three of us felt confident that it could make it up the hill to Tahoe, much less back to Upper So-CA. So my two friend made a parts store run. Wires, plugs, filters, cap & rotor. Found the exact same thing that you did, coil wire arcing on the bottom of the air filter can.

Nice!!

Ya we just Rerouted the coil wire so it would not rub.

ccarley

Adventurer
Updates!

It's been a while, but there are some updates!

wilson helped me quite a bit with this rig. Thanks buddy!

We tried a futon mattress in the back, but it wasn't as comfy as my wife wanted, so she picked up some eggcrate foam for the rear. Queen size fits, with a little folding at the wheel wells (since we don't have a platform).

wilson also helped me swap the rear axle. Found a cheap 12-bolt locally to replace the clunky 10-bolt. The 10-bolt, for as clunky as it was, had a working Gov-Lock. The 12-bolt, however, has a Gov-Lock that locks up on the street going around an easy corner. I've "fixed" that for now, but am looking for either a Detroit Locker or Detroit True Track for the rear, and I'm considering using the old 10-bolt Gov-Lock for the front. Something for more traction in sand, mild mud, and snow/ice.

Found this aluminum finned cover for it pretty cheap:
DSC_0254.sized.jpg

But, it looks like it has a load in it's pants from the side! It takes 3 quarts of gear oil now. That ought to do me ok!

I ended up replacing the front springs as well. My wife was pregnant at this point, so I wanted a smooth comfy ride for her & our baby (daughter). I ordered a set of Tuff Country H.D. springs, which are way softer than the old Pro-Comp front springs. Tuff Country has some softer springs too, but being a Suburban, I felt the H.D. versions would be better.

DSC_0171.sized.jpg

Foreground, old Pro-Comp spring, background, new Tuff Country spring.

Now, the ride still wasn't where I wanted it! I feel that the stock shock mounting might just have the wrong geometry. The 5100, although sized correctly, seemed short too; allowing only a couple of inches of downward travel. I spoke with Kevin Foote at Bilstein (Turner Motorsports?), and after a few emails back & forth about valving, I ordered a set of 12" travel, short body 7100 shocks.

DSC_0304.sized.jpg

I went slightly soft on the valving for off-road use. We don't rock crawl, so the soft valving will be nice on washboard roads. I used the upper "quad" factory mount:

DSC_0316.sized.jpg

And now, the ride is soooo nice. Train tracks are soaked up Cadillac style. We haven't had a chance to try them off-road yet though :( we've been getting ready for our baby daughter!

To be continued...

ccarley

Adventurer
With my wife being pregnant, we didn't do any more camping. We were able to make it to Tahoe though for my birthday this year, with wilson & his family too. My first time taking hwy 80 to North Tahoe, where we rented a cabin. Hoping for snow... it was pretty nice weather, although we had 3 feet of old snow on the deck. Of course, it snowed the day we left!

DSC_0584.sized.jpg

I had chains to try out on the 35's, which apparently needed deeper snow. Much deeper snow. It's good to know how they work though. The Suburban did great in the snow with the BFG A/T's.

DSC_0691.sized.jpg

wilson in his 4-Runner, and us in the Suburban, were able to drive down a road near the top of Donner Pass which hadn't been plowed. Quite fun blasting through upwards of a foot of snow!

My next project, recently, was in the back-seat:
DSC_0066.sized.jpg

Our baby daughter was born April 29th, this year! But before she could ride in the Suburban, I had to fix the headliner which was blowing foam dust everywhere. I picked up some "speaker box" fabric from Jo-Ann fabrics, which was not what you are thinking. This was thin, gray material that was a good match. Probably a full day of work, but I took it easy & did one section per day.

DSC_0087.sized.jpg

The bummer about that fabric, though, is that it's so thin that the factory crease lines near the edges of the "cardboard" show through.

After doing all that headliner work, though, I'm super stoked to take the Suburban out again. I'm already trying to plan a trip to Death Valley next spring. Maybe even the Overland Expo in October in Hollister.... Or perhaps a guy's trip sooner!

Clay

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
The pics look great Clay, as does your headliner in my oppinion. Congratz on your little back seat project you have. Both you and the misses must be proud. I am glad to hear about your experience with the all terrains in the snow as I am running the same tire and have never tried them in winter conditions. Have fun with the `Burb´ and keep those pics coming....:)

Little Red

Adventurer
That is a very nice looking suburban you have there!

Have you had any problems running 35" tires on your half ton truck.
Mine is a half ton also and I have been debating if I should get 3/4 ton axels for it.
I want to get it lifted 3" and run 35" tires. (I have 33" tires and no lift on it right now).

ccarley

Adventurer
Thanks Chilliwak! The A/T's from BFG come highly recommended as snow tires, and I can't agree more.

Little Red: Thanks as well! I have enjoyed checking out your build thread too. So far, no issues with the 35's on the 1/2 ton axles, but I don't drive it hard. Still have the original 3.73 gearing, and I must say something a little deeper might help, but being at sea level most of the time, I usually have enough power to hit hills in 3rd. High altitude, however, OD is useless. Good luck with your lift! Looking forward to seeing it :)

I'll try to keep the pics coming as we do more!
Clay

That is a very nice looking suburban you have there!

Have you had any problems running 35" tires on your half ton truck.
Mine is a half ton also and I have been debating if I should get 3/4 ton axels for it.
I want to get it lifted 3" and run 35" tires. (I have 33" tires and no lift on it right now).

FYI, the only difference between a 3/4 ton front axle is the wheel bolt pattern. Otherwise they are the same. If you don't plan on changing gear rations in the axles, just go to the junk yard, and get the backing plates out from a 3/4 ton. Then unbolt your six lug and bolt on the 8 lug.

southpaws3

Observer
nice burb man, congradulations to you and your w/ the baby . Rooster cruiser and my self both have subs they are great one day i'll post the sub and trailer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz