WTB: Semi-cheap ready to roll Expo Rig

hyperboarder

Adventurer
So I had a little freak out last night after perusing some of the completed and in progress expedition threads and realizing that I need to get my act together. There's a kid in my future (luckily not in progress yet, but I can only delay so long) and I have not had a proper chance to enjoy my fleeting youth. I've got an FJ60 in the driveway but it's in need of too much work to make it what I want right now.

On the up side, I just sold my Excursion and have around $10k to play with. My thoughts are to buy something that's not in this state (or time zone for that matter), fly out to buy it, and take my sweet time getting home, all of which needs to be included in that budget. I'd be flying out of Denver, so flights aren't bad, and I have no problem going anywhere from Maine to Florida, Cali to Canada. I'm pretty open as to what I get, I'd rather not have another 60 or 62, but otherwise I'm open to suggestion. I like the Chinook campers, but would be ok with something that would do a bit better offroad as I might make a stop at Moab on the way home. I do have my motorcycle license, so I'm not opposed to that either, I just need to take care of this quarter life crisis before I lose my mind. I'm ok with needing a little work eventually, but I want something ready to go when I hand over the cash.

Please post on here or PM with any offers. Thanks in advance for helping my sanity.

speedtre

Explorer
So I had a little freak out last night after perusing some of the completed and in progress expedition threads and realizing that I need to get my act together. There's a kid in my future (luckily not in progress yet, but I can only delay so long) and I have not had a proper chance to enjoy my fleeting youth. I've got an FJ60 in the driveway but it's in need of too much work to make it what I want right now.

On the up side, I just sold my Excursion and have around $10k to play with. My thoughts are to buy something that's not in this state (or time zone for that matter), fly out to buy it, and take my sweet time getting home, all of which needs to be included in that budget. I'd be flying out of Denver, so flights aren't bad, and I have no problem going anywhere from Maine to Florida, Cali to Canada. I'm pretty open as to what I get, I'd rather not have another 60 or 62, but otherwise I'm open to suggestion. I like the Chinook campers, but would be ok with something that would do a bit better offroad as I might make a stop at Moab on the way home. I do have my motorcycle license, so I'm not opposed to that either, I just need to take care of this quarter life crisis before I lose my mind. I'm ok with needing a little work eventually, but I want something ready to go when I hand over the cash.

Please post on here or PM with any offers. Thanks in advance for helping my sanity.

Well, I'm sure you've seen this, but maybe it's too similar to your current rig?

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45257

South Central VA is a great place to start your drive from as you will spend some time in the Appalachian Mountains on your way back and there is alot to see and some great camping in that area (I'm from Northern VA). Anyway, good luck your trip sounds like fun. Unfortunately I didn't get the wanderlust bug until AFTER my kids were born and let me tell you, it's a HELL of alot more planning when you have 2 kids under 5! :)

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Thanks for the offer, a bit worried about Land Rovers and their reliability. I wouldn't mind something similar to my rig (possibly even another cruiser, just probably not a 60), but I think if I get a rover I want a diesel.

Also, bonus points for anyone in Alaska, I'd love to make that drive home.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Well, I'm sure you've seen this, but maybe it's too similar to your current rig?

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45257

South Central VA is a great place to start your drive from as you will spend some time in the Appalachian Mountains on your way back and there is alot to see and some great camping in that area (I'm from Northern VA). Anyway, good luck your trip sounds like fun. Unfortunately I didn't get the wanderlust bug until AFTER my kids were born and let me tell you, it's a HELL of alot more planning when you have 2 kids under 5! :)

Yeah once you have kids what once used to be a simple three day weekend trip with just your pickup turns into a major expedition with a big vehicle, trailer, supplies, and equipment. Don't plan on driving very far either and the more kids you have in diapers the worse it is. The plus side is once they are older you have captive campers/helpers to help you on your rig and trips, no more trying to get you and your buddies schedules to coincide.

Do the Alaska trip now while you have the $$ and not the responibilities. Once you have kids and a career you won't have the time to do it for years. Save the lower 48 trips for later when you have all of the above.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Yeah once you have kids what once used to be a simple three day weekend trip with just your pickup turns into a major expedition with a big vehicle, trailer, supplies, and equipment. Don't plan on driving very far either and the more kids you have in diapers the worse it is. The plus side is once they are older you have captive campers/helpers to help you on your rig and trips, no more trying to get you and your buddies schedules to coincide.

Do the Alaska trip now while you have the $$ and not the responibilities. Once you have kids and a career you won't have the time to do it for years. Save the lower 48 trips for later when you have all of the above.

That's the plan, knock this out while I can. I've got a career, but luckily it can be "paused" if you will. The 2500 mile drive home from AK might be just what the doctor ordered for now.

speedtre

Explorer

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I was just looking at craigs list in Anchorage, there are a few diesel suburbans and other trucks up there in the 3-5k price range, a surburban is perfect for a family expedition vehicle. My preference is a 87-91 with a diesel or TBI, 3/4 ton 4x4. Do it, do it do it do it. Post some pictures of your adventure for us guys who are stuck with the 8-5 and can't get away.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Ford E350 diesel 4x4 1991 - $4500 (Palmer)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-07-06, 8:54PM AKDT
Reply to: see below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1991 Ford E350 4x4 diesel, $ 4,500.00 OBO Good condition, everything works. Winch, summer & winter tires on rims, tow hitch & more. Call 354-8911 for more info.

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1829523187

No contact info? if the poster didn't include a phone number, email, or
other contact info, craigslist can notify them via email.

This one was on the anchorage craigslist. It had a picture but didn't transfer over. I need to learn more on using my computer to I can attach a link. Maybe that will be tonights project.

KirkL

I just got a new to me 80 series about a month ago. It took me a long time to find a "low" mileage FZJ at a decent price without any issues. I ended up tracking one down in Atlanta with only 123,000 miles on it. It cost me about $10,500 with taxes to take her home but I love the old steed and I feel like it was a bargain.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Post some pictures of your adventure for us guys who are stuck with the 8-5 and can't get away.

?

You're the one with the awesome custom Tiger Chevy and pics 'o plenty of it in all the awesome spots of North America...right?::smiley_drive:

Or are all those pics photo shopped from your office cubicle like mine are?:ylsmoke:

Point well taken, of course, I'm just giving you a hard time. :sombrero:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles