To the Arctic Ocean via the Dalton Road

geovalue

Adventurer
We enjoyed Skagway Soapy Smith, Ham Grease Jimmy, Paddy the Pig, Big Bo Peep, Gumboot Kitty, Big Bess, Guzzling Gertie, Burn-‘Em-Up Kid, these were some of the characters that roamed the streets of Skagway in 1898. Skagway was a rough and tough town during the gold rush to the Klondike. In search of dreams of gold and riches, thousands of fortune seekers made their way to Skagway on route to Dawson City. See our website for updates too much to write here.
We wanted to drive south on the Cassiar road through central BC but it was closed because of forest fires. So we are back on the Alaska Highway heading towards Alberta
IMG_0856.jpg

cellularsteve2

Adventurer
Thanks for posting about your trip. I am now subscribed. While in Skagway did you go on the White Pass and Yukon Railway? It is pretty spectacular.

steve

Billhilly

Adventurer
Thanks for posting up your pictures. Almost like another galaxy when you live as far south as me! Shame about the Cassier being closed. Maybe next time huh? If you make it to NZ give me a shout!

geovalue

Adventurer
I was woken by the alarm clock. Tom has a thing about time, it is his German heritage, in fact I think we have more clocks and watches in this camper than we do cups and plates!!! We crossed into a new time zone yesterday and Tom slammed on brakes …read more http://www.adventurouspirits.com/

We are heading south to Dawson Creek, this morning we watched 2 families pack a total of 15 people (11 children) into 2 trucks and towing campers. They were all having a blast. A reminder that even with children travel is possible

geovalue

Adventurer
Thanks for posting about your trip. I am now subscribed. While in Skagway did you go on the White Pass and Yukon Railway? It is pretty spectacular.

steve
No unfortunately we did not however we decided that this part of the world needs to be explored more so we plan to be back and spend several weeks exploring the inner passage

cellularsteve2

Adventurer
No unfortunately we did not however we decided that this part of the world needs to be explored more so we plan to be back and spend several weeks exploring the inner passage

Excellent idea. I plan to do the same in the next couple of years.

Safe travels!

geovalue

Adventurer
We went to Jasper National Park in Canada to compare the mountains to the Alaskan Mountain ranges. It is remarkable just how different they are from each other. Alaska mountains seem to have so many more trees and huge glaciers hanging from every fault. The Rocky mountains seem more dramatic and harsh.

We were treated to a wonderful sunset with rainbow.
IMG_0884.jpg

web_IMG_0888.jpg

geovalue

Adventurer
In all our overland travels we have seen some amazing "overland" vehicles, but we thought this one was particularly original. It was beautifully made and even had a little flower pot next to the back light. We saw it parked in Valdez, Alaska. It always amazes us at the variety of vehicles or modes of transport out there.

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

geovalue

Adventurer
We've been back home in Calgary now for a month after a 1 year trip down through Central America and on to Argentina and Chile.

http://mungoeatsla.ca/2009/06/01/

If you have any questions, feel free to ask :)

Kevin

PS We never had a carnet for the vehicle, and were never asked for one.

Thanks Kevin we will definitely contact you would love to get some suggestions and advice on traveling through Central and South America. We flip and flop on the whether to get a carnet as we hear most don't need it, are never asked for it etc, but we did speak to one couple who were asked for it and then this recent couple who said that believe it made their border crossings easy as they simple handed in the carnet it was stamped and they never had any issues but then they may have had no issues anyway.
It is an expensive document so don't want to get it if don't need it. It is essential in Africa but obviously not for South America.

geovalue

Adventurer
How's the road from Skagway to 1?
The road from Skagway to the Alaska highway was in excellent condition. It is a pretty drive however the drive between Haines and the Alaska highway was spectacular one of the best drives we have done. We would suggest driving the down to either and then taking the ferry between the towns to complete the loop. The ferry for both of us and the truck was $120.00. It was well worth it. Skagway is very touristy, it has been restored and looks like a Hollywood movie set but is quite quaint. Haines is not as touristy and likes like a typical Alaskan fishing village.

geovalue

Adventurer
We drove back into Calgary after completing 11,230km (6,977miles) it was time to assess how the Nissan truck and Outfitter did. First we needed to get off the plastered on fossilized bugs, caked in mud and dust off the truck and camper. We had only managed to wash the truck twice on route because most days it was raining.
The camper was subjected to harsh condition, 1000miles of bad roads and some off road and so far it has handled everything really well. We are really pleased with how the camper is working for us. We are now reviewing getting tires for the truck, and deciding what would be best.

HOMELESS HAPPY GLOBE TROTTERS
web_IMG_0839.jpg

BATH TIME FOR TRUCK AND CAMPER
IMG_0894.jpg

DOES ANYONE REALLY DRINK SALMON FLAVOURED VODKA
web_IMG_0863.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles