To the Arctic Ocean via the Dalton Road

geovalue

Adventurer
We made up the Dalton road in Alaska to Prudhoe Bay and finally to the Arctic Ocean. One has to take a guided tour from Prudhoe Bay to actually get to the ocean but we felt as we had traveled over 4500km from Calgary to get to Prudhoe Bay we might as well pay the $45.00 each to actually get a tour of the oil facility and get wet in the ocean. The road was a pleasant drive not at all difficult although a bit slippery when wet and lots of loose gravel. We managed to get 2 window chips on the way up. But the scenery was spectacular. We are now heading south for Argentina
Before the Dalton Road
IMG_0528.jpg

After the Dalton Road
IMG_0533.jpg

Before Atigun Pass
IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

Celebrating at the Arctic Ocean before heading south for Argentina
IMG_0559.jpg

We are now in Anchorage, and leaving for Valdez today. We are enjoying the luxury of a truck camper especially as we have had so much rain. We traveled for 16 months overlanding across Africa with a Land Cruiser and roof top tent.
Our camper which was specially made for us by Outfitters Camper is working out great the design we wanted is perfect for our needs.
Safe travels all

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
thanks for your first update! Please keep them coming.

If you are passing through San Francisco please do call/email so we can catch up for dinner or something.

Scott Brady

Founder
Excellent start to your journey. Please let me know if you have any questions concerning Mexico or Central America, as I completed that journey last Spring.

My #1 recommendation- Avoid Mexico City (trust me, and a growing group of others who have been extorted there recently). The rest of the trip will be wonderful no doubt.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Looks like a wonderful start to what will become a pretty epic adventure!

Please take lots of photos and update the thread as often as you can, so those of us stuck in one spot can enjoy your journey!!

Safe Travels!

geovalue

Adventurer
It is a small world, as we stood in awe of the Worthington Glacier on route to Valdez and motor cyclist stopped and asked if us we had heard of "Overland Expo". He had noted our number plate Ovlandr. As it turns out we had camped almost next to each other at Expo. We treated him to fresh baked apple pie and he treated us to halibut tacos as we shared overland and travel stories in the following evenings together in Valdez. We also went on a cruise to see the Columbia Glacier and the calving of the Meares glaciers. It was magnificent watching large chunks of ice fall into the sea, and humpback whales breaching.
Happy Overlanders sharing stories
IMG_0752.jpg

Columbia glacier
IMG_0759.jpg

Meares Glacier
IMG_0764.jpg

SafariPacific

Adventurer
Great to see you guys on the road. Have fun!

My #1 recommendation- Avoid Mexico City (trust me, and a growing group of others who have been extorted there recently). The rest of the trip will be wonderful no doubt.

Ditto! Shook down for $5000 pesos few weeks ago. Take the time and drive the the long way around.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Happy Overlanders sharing stories
IMG_0752.jpg

Hey, after one of my presentations at this years EXPO I sat talking with this guy for awhile. He was telling me he was planning an extended motorcycle trip but he told me he was wanting to head down into South America.

I brought him over to where Travis was set-up because I had remembered reading where Travis was looking for someone to ride with him for sections of the adventure.

What a very small world it is!! Glad to see he's on his journey and meeting up with fellow Overlanders!! Cheers and I'll toast one to all of you!

geovalue

Adventurer
Thanks for all the good wishes. We are now in Haines, it was Tom's decision to come here, and it was great decision as we were treated to a mother grizzly and 3 cubs playing on the banks of the river side.
web_IMG_6907.jpg

We drove from Haines Junction to Haines and past through some spectacular scenery.
web_MG_7330.jpg

We also heard from Shawn on the motor bike and he is doing great we are hoping to meet up with him again today. We met some fellow overlanders in Haines who have just spent 2 years traveling up from South America and they advised us to get a carnet. Still an ongoing debate about what to do about that I guess.
We are enjoying sunshine and warm weather and are taking the ferry to Skagway tonight
Travel safe everyone

geovalue

Adventurer
Excellent start to your journey. Please let me know if you have any questions concerning Mexico or Central America, as I completed that journey last Spring.

Thanks Scott we will contact you the closer we get to Mexico and Central America.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles