Playpens, who's uses them, who doesn't?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Just curious. I was recently informed that playpens are for white trash :elkgrin: , so I'm wondering how I could have been so wrong for so long. :Wow1:

Picture041.jpg

For those who aren't white trash like me, how do you keep your toddlers corralled so that Mom can do something more productive than holding on to a squirmy, curious 9 month old, 24/7.

Last edited:

Superu

Explorer
We used one when our guys were little. Although, apparently they call them play yards now! :rolleyes: Beats having the kid climbing the curtains or pulling a hot pot off the stovetop! :ylsmoke:

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
We have one, but it's just for travelling and as a bed for him.
We never used it as a place for him to play, we never really needed to keep him coralled to be honest.
But, he also didn't really crawl, just went straight to walking about his 1st birthday.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I've heard about kids not crawling. I actually basically taught both of mine to crawl. Just kept working with their limbs and encouraging them until they figured it out. Of course, it's a double edged sword! :)

With one kid, it was easy. We didn't even have a baby gate for Phil. We had a door at the top of the stairs going to the basement. And he was never left alone on the second floor. The only risk was going up the stairs from the ground floor. But if you let a kid get high enough to fall back down, without you noticing... you've really messed up. We let him climb the stairs as he wanted, and just caught him if he fell. And everything else was babyproofed.

But camping was a whole other matter. Poisonous mushrooms, or even eating leaves and pine needles, or dirt... Or sleeping. Maybe we should be high-class and bring a hardwood knock-down crib with us.

With Elise, it's much different. Phil is 4, still needs some attention, and Elise loves to get into his toys (danger!). And it's a different house. Bungalow, no door at the top of the basement stairs. I actually made my own baby gate from scratch so it looks nice.

So, she's 9 months now, crawls all over, and is starting to pull herself up on the furniture. And of course, camping, puts anything on the ground in her mouth. Nor would I leave a baby alone in a tent to nap during the day, rooftop or not. We don't use the playpen in the house at all. It's just for camping, cottage, or the babysitter uses it as a crib.

I think the obvious answer is that the person who made the comment, has no kids. Or leaves them at home.

OffaRex

Observer
We used a playpen extensively with our older kids, camping, hotel, beach house. We could corral them and it gave them somewhere to sleep without being on the floor or falling off the bed.

I probably shouldn't admit this, but we got a doggie bed for our youngest. It takes-up a lot less room and keeps him from rolling around too much at night. We don't need a playpen-as-corral as much now because the older kids help keep the little one out of too much trouble.

Honu

lost on the mainland
we used one they are handy for nap times when we both wanted to just sit and relax at night knowing he is not going to get out fall out or do whatever is a nice piece of mind to us and helps relax more ;)

since he is about 18 months now and getting around just fine I think we wont be bringing it next trip so we got a peapod for him to sleep in and see how that goes at least he wont fall out or get out as easy of that but I think he will figure out the zippers quickly :)

James86004

Expedition Leader
Our daughter pulled herself up for the very first time in one of those when we stashed her there while setting up camp here. Funny how I can remember the campsite, the date (Labor Day Weekend 2001), everything because of that milestone in her development.

Worth every penny to use it while camping. We never used it at home.

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
I use one... More for napping/sleeping then corralling, but we only have one right now, so we can switch off.

I've been called white trash for much less...

Hard to tell, but this is a shot inside the room of the Globetrotter.

img_5814.jpg

Don

-

articulate

Expedition Leader
Worth every penny to use it while camping. We never used it at home.
So true. Great for camping.

What I was never crazy about was the size of those things even when they're packed up. Partly because it seems like all baby stuff is big; bouncers, swings, chairs, joggers.... makes a guy feel like a beast of burden lugging all of that around :)

Has anyone seen a "gocrib" before? It's a rigid air frame portable crib/playpen. I just learned about these the other day. Since they use air, they pack down super small and are half the weight of the standard Graco. Interesting take, I think.
go_crib-open.jpg

XJBANKER

Explorer
We have one that we use for a bed in the bottom of the conqueror. Nice to have a place for the baby to sleep and still off the ground.

mesha

Observer
We use the playpen for the little ones to sleep in. It makes them feel at home because they sleep in a crib. We are currently looking for a less bulky option. That gocrib might be the ticket.

matt s

Explorer
The playpen is what brings any peace while away from home. It's the crib and the sometimes the only way mom can get a free moment to use the restroom!

I would guess that the people who called it white trash don't have children, or they only have one.

Don't worry about my wife, I have the other 3 kids terrorizing me at the fishing hole. Teaching toddlers to fish.... That's a whole other subject.

5Runner

Adventurer
We used a portable crib like the first one pictured for all three of our kids during those baby years. They worked great as traveling cribs. There are definetly times when it was far safer to put the baby/toddler in there for a bit than not to. It also really depends on the kids. Besides, only the parents really know what and when they can trust their kids with things...or freedom...

You should not feel like "white trash" for that at all.

The air-frame one posted by Articulate is a great idea!! With my very limited storage space that would be perfect if my kiddos were still that small.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
I used a thing called a Pack N' Play with both my son's.

We even used a pack n play at home with my latest. It came with a diaper changing table thing, and a raised bed for when they are little, or for changing diapers. We used that as his bassinet. I didn't see the point in buying one of those when they are going to be in a real crib in no time.

We used that a few months before going into a real crib, and still take it with us for traveling. He is one now though so i think he is about outgrown. He WILL NOT stay in it for corralling. He has to be on the go constantly.:Wow1:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
You should not feel like "white trash" for that at all.

Don't worry, I'm not. I was just wondering if I missed something, as it seems everybody I know with a kid has one. It's actually our second. My wife destroyed the first one trying to pack it up. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles