2nd Monongahela WV, 8/24 - 8/27/07

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Well, he saved himself alot of trouble since he was quite bald to begin with. OOhhh....we could get a smiley-on-fire for Al!

BigAl

Expedition Leader
jim65wagon said:
Well, he saved himself alot of trouble since he was quite bald to begin with. OOhhh....we could get a smiley-on-fire for Al!

Like this,
fuel.gif

Thanks for the pics Chris, they turned out great. I can't wait to show Nicole and Kayley the water fall pics, they will be jealous!

As far as the pyrotechnics go, they were very safe and controled, and with time my doctor thinks everything will heal quite nicely, ...what is that smell?...:)

Last edited:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Where are we goin' next gents? It's been 4 days since we were in the woods, and I already feel the need to get lost again. Andironacks, maybe, for some backroad running and canoeing? Potter County, PA for hiking and trout fishing? Coopers Rock, WV? Labrador? Tau Ceti V? Like Chris said around the campfire "Let's step up, Expo East, and get it going!"

A curse on dial-up,it takes to long to load Chris's slide show, I'll have to wait to I get to my ma's house to use her computer. I really want to see the rest of those pictures!

Here's a couple of ours. The Line-Up. Our Motto. Beth caught by the papparazzi.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Haggis said:
Where are we goin' next gents? It's been 4 days since we were in the woods, and I already feel the need to get lost again. Andironacks, maybe, for some backroad running and canoeing? Potter County, PA for hiking and trout fishing? Coopers Rock, WV? Labrador? Tau Ceti V? Like Chris said around the campfire "Let's step up, Expo East, and get it going!"

I'm in ,those all sound good, I've not camped on the ocean either. There is awesome canoeing on the Susquehanna b/t Shawville and karthus, and plenty of State Forest and strip mine wheel'n. There is a alot of info regarding Shawville/Karthus on the web. It will be extemely tough to out do the Mon trip

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Camping on the ocean sounds real good, Al. Now to work around the Kid's school schedule and the fact I have to get some wood cut for winter, maybe we can get something going for early Oct. if anybody is interested. I know the missus won't let me go anywhere until I get cordage stacked up, but I can make a good dent in it in a weekend.

Here's a few more photos; Moose steaks, brie and escargo on the grill; one of the ridgline windmills

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Really looks like it was a good time. I hate that I couldn't make it. Ended up a little tight on money and then Friday I stated coming down with a awfull cold. I was absolutly miserable by Saturday night and Sunday. I am still not fully over it so I guess it worked out for a reason.

For the next one what's the back woods near OBX like?

I have a weeks vacation unscheduled I planed to take in Oct maybe to coincide to Dixie run but I could easily ber persuaded to do womthing else. Dixie run is just a parking lot for the trail rides.

I'm actually on vacation again this coming week. 14 year at the same company with a week rolled over gave me 38 PTO days this year. Feb is 15 years and I get 38 days without the rolled week. :wings:

Schedule this one starting mid week like Wednesday or Thursday as the first day with Sunday as a drive day. Doesn't eat my OT like splitting weeks.

toyotechwv

Observer
I really enjoyed meeting all of you. I hate that I couldn't be there for the whole weekend, the pictures from Saturday look awesome. Next trip I'm going to make sure I don't miss anything.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
We were following back roads back to our campsite. The Delorme map showed a road through, but it dead-ended at a hunting club. Then my GPS showed an alternative road ... or should I say former road through private property, although we didn't know it at the time - some visual cues aside.

We had gone less than a quarter of a mile, and I was like, "Okay, this is bad. This was a bad idea." A property owner saw us, jumped in his vehicle (a late model Grand Cherokee), and chased us down. He was cool, explained that it used to be a county road, and politely asked us to leave.

His name was Vance, according to a novelty license plate on the front of his Jeep. No harm, no foul ... but we were all just thankful that he wasn't Hollywood's portrayal of a WV backwoods resident.

What did we learn? ... that GPS information could not possibly be inaccurate, and if a route cannot be completed due to some political obstruction, it will tear a hole in the universe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles