? for FWC owners

Desert Drifter

Observer
Been seriously considering a FWC Hawk. With the tie down system accessed through the camper instead of outside, how hard is it to load/unload? Is it too much of a PITA to unload at camp? Thanks in advance. :)

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Unloading is very easy IMO. Unscrew 4 turnbuckles, then jack it up so there is a few inches of clearance between the camper & truck, unplug the power cord and drive out from under it. I find putting it back on to be a bigger hassle then taking it off, because the turnbuckles can be a bit of a pain to work with when tightening them back up and I'm laying on my back/side.

The thing with unloading it in camp is you need to have something (besides the jacks) to support the floor like sawhorses or something similar. I never unload mine in camp, kinda defeats the purpose of having a lightweight but very durable camper that can "go anywhere". But some do unload theirs, just make sure to have something to support the floor and to keep the jack stands from splaying out.

davidshourd

Adventurer
probably 15 minutes to load, you will get quicker each time. only 5 to unload assuming you have even ground to work with. I take mine off in camper every so often, and like kcowyo said, make sure you have some support under it if you plan on getting in it with it off your truck. but I would just keep out if its not in your truck, IMO.

Desert Drifter

Observer
Thanks so much!!! Yes, I like to unload at camp when I need the truck to launch the boat and not break camp or lose my spot!!! :)

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer

here are some sample pictures of FWC's when off the truck (base camping)

Attachments

• base camping at beach.JPG
    base camping at beach.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 309
  • Campground2.jpg
    Campground2.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 258
  • 00036.JPG
    00036.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 308

bmwrider75

base camping

Can you use the upper bed when the FWC is on jacks/supports? I was worried that climbing up there might cause the whole thing to tip forward.

dc

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
I think it should be OK for most of our models.

I don't think they will "tip" forward.

If you have a small camper, with a really long cabover, like our Falcon Model (5' camper body with a 4' cabover, then YES, the camper will probably tip over forward if you were up in the bed area with a couple of people).

But with a larger camper like a Hawk, Grandby, or Keystone Model, there should be no worry of the camper tipping forward if you are base camping out of it on the ground.

It might be a little more of a concern if you just have an "empty" shell model, but if you have a loaded camper with the sink, stove, refrigerator, furnace, couch, and all of your gear, the camper has enough weight not to want to tip forward.

Some of the cabover bed in the FWC's is over the front wall of the camper as well, so that people sleeping there won't be adding any weight forward.

We set our campers here in the showroom, and campers we take to trade shows on wood platforms. Then open the campers up and let people get in and out of them all day long.

As long as you are cautious not to have a big party of people in the cabover bed, the camper should stay put for our normal camper models.

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles