Using the OEM Steel Spare Wheels?

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Has any one have any experience using the black steel spare tire wheels as primary wheels on a 05+ Nissan? I like the look and seem to be cheep and abundant on E-bay I think a set of these powder coated silver with 235/85s would be just plain nice on my Frontier. My only concern is that they may not be as strong as the alloy OEMs I have now. I have seen a few FJ cruisers on similar wheels but not sure what the difference if any my be. Thanks for any opinions and input on this idea.

Ruination Fan

Adventurer
I am running toyota 4runner/taco/tundra 16" black steelies on mine(1st gen xterra) and have had no problems at all. I have actually got plenty of compliments on how they look. The factory steelies are plenty strong, but also weigh much more than an alloy wheel(expect a slight decrease in MPG). The other plus of steelies over alloy is the ability to bend the lip back if you fold it over while rock crawling.

Last edited:

OzX

Adventurer
Has any one have any experience using the black steel spare tire wheels as primary wheels on a 05+ Nissan?

Yes I do and I love them. Some people prefer steelies to alloys for off roading because steel will bend and alloys will break. Alloys are lighter, but you can hammer a steelie back into shape enough to get home. There's always trade offs so choose whats more suited for you.

DSC_3310.jpg

DSC_3307.jpg

DSC_3308.jpg

DSC_3309.jpg

Last edited:

Hootowl

Observer
You mentioned powder coating the steel wheels but the expense of that really is not needed. Most folks will a rattle can or perhaps a bed liner such as LineX on the wheels. Krylon I have been told, has some rattle can paints formulated for wheels.

To me, whether to use an OEM steel wheel versus an aftermarket is a matter of two things.

1. Styling... What floats your boat! LOL!

2. Aftermarket may be needed in order to match what you want for tire size then matching this to tires manufacturer's specifications for wheel dimensions.

fishy_frontier

Adventurer
They'll be a bit heavier but probably more durable than the alloy wheels. Use duplicolor spray on bed liner to paint them. It's about $7 a can and holds up great. I sprayed my wheels with those as well as my steel spare and can't complain at all for the look and what it cost me.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Yea I was thinking of spray paint but figured that the powder coat would be longer lasting and more durable. I am going to look into the wheel specific paint though.

Dirty_Jeeper

Adventurer
Wow! Nicest X I've seen to date!:Wow1:

I'm returning to steel wheels after tearing up two sets (10) of alloy wheels. Found a set of stock XJ steel wheels for $10 each on Craigslist. They are 15 x 7, 5 on 4 1/2. A little prep and paint and I think they look pretty decent.
SnorkelandSteelRims002.jpg

winkosmosis

Explorer
Anyone ever seen steelies painted machine grey (I think the same color as battleship interiors)? I think that would look great.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
That is kind of what i am looking for, the steelies in silver or a grey color. The problem is finding them to fit the 05+ Nissans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior