To Tint or Not To Tint

• Tint

Votes: 102 88.7%
  • No Tint

Votes: 13 11.3%

• Total voters

Toyotero

Explorer
I vote tint. Get quality tint installed to block some UV and infrared to make it more comfortable inside. It will also give some privacy to curious eyes at night.

I had dark tint in an 88 4Runner. At night, I just rolled down the windows when I was backing up if there was not enough light. Alternatively, installing brighter backup lights might be a better solution.

Cheers,

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Definitely go with tint. I even added tint to the factory tinted windows on my Tahoe to make it a bit darker in the cargo area. Helps with the efficiency of the A/C and gives you privacy for sleeping in your rig.

Another benefit is that in a collision (forbid the thought it ever happen to any of us) it will hold the glass in position and prevent it from flying around inside.

debo75

I've seen retractable sun shades on vehicles, usually deployed on the rear window, but also the rear side windows. Perhaps that's a solution for you.

Personally, I don't care for tinting. Too hard to see out at night. If I lived in a hotter climate or did extended visits to Hell, I could see the value in tinting.

I think South Florida might qualify. I have 5% on everything but the windshield. It serves three purposes: it keeps the interior cooler on hot days, it keeps prying eyes out, and reduces solar damage to the interior. Leather interiors definitely last longer when they're not exposed to UV.

I have strong feelings on the legality of limo tint, I think its a crock of **** the police can tint their cruisers, but us lowly civilians have use a neutered version. I know officer safety can be an issue, but the few times I've been stopped the officer asked me to roll my back window down so he could have a clear view of the interior of my truck. I should add, in FL its perfectly ok to put 5% tint on the side windows behind the B pillar. This goes to show there are procedures the police could use to circumvent the danger tint creates for officers. Washington state has different laws than the rest of the nation regarding headlights, due to their rainy conditions, so I don't see why we couldn't have something similar in the southern states.

Just an FYI, there is now a transparent tint that blocks almost all UV light. That might be useful for people who don't want to go any darker than their factory tint.

SpencerFitch

Observer
Im not worried about people looking in, I dont have anything to steal, if I have something expensive ill be there with it.

I am worried about heat, having 37 windows in a land rover sure makes it hot.

wADVr

Adventurer
I believe tint in moderation to be the best option. 20-30% seems to be a good balance for me, but I'm in Washington.

JohnMcD348

Observer
I would say, depending on the capability of your A/C unit, go with what you feel comfortable driving with. My wife hates tinted windows but every vehicle I own has it. I always go with the legal limit just because I'm more interested in the UV Protection more than the absolute heat protection. Every vehicle I've owned has gotten tinted and I'm about to get my Bronco done in the next few weeks.

If you're worried about being able to see out at night, go with a lighter tint(higher %). Some is better than nothing and you'll still notice a difference in teh amount of heat you feel when driving with the A/C on.

TopTom

I have tinted every vehicle I have owned, mostly for the reasons already stated here and have been very happy.

Although I don’t advise anyone to break the law I almost always go darker that the legal limit and have had no problems in traffic stops when I roll down the windows, turn on the interior lights, and put my hands on top of the steering wheal before the officer approaches. Every time I have done that I was thanked by the officer and sent on my way with a verbal warning to slow down.

ryguy

Adventurer
If your on a muddy or dusty trail and cant see through the tint things tend to get a lil dirty with the windows down. Mud is hard to get out af a headliner btw

overlander

Expedition Leader
I am definitely interested in tinting my rig to help with the AC and security, but givent that I'm planning on traveling all over domestically, and in other countries, does anyone know of a good online source that will list out legal limits for tinting in different states, countries? I want to go as dark as possible while still being legal everywhere.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
This is something I keep thinking about, but night-time visibility is a big deal for me. I have tint on one of my cars which I love during the day. And I love it at night because headlights in the rearview mirror are less bright. But it also makes it so hard to turn corners in dimly lit areas. I can't even imagine being on a trail at night with tint. The option to roll down the windows is there, but then rain or bugs... I'm so conflicted.

S

Street Wolf

The front two windows (Driver and Passenger) on my Disco are tintless. The rest of them are somewhere along the lines of 10%. Works great.

021-5.jpg

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I have tinted every vehicle I have owned, mostly for the reasons already stated here and have been very happy.

Although I don't advise anyone to break the law I almost always go darker that the legal limit and have had no problems in traffic stops when I roll down the windows, turn on the interior lights, and put my hands on top of the steering wheal before the officer approaches. Every time I have done that I was thanked by the officer and sent on my way with a verbal warning to slow down.

Yes Sir! That is the smart approach. I have always done that. For one reason I have a permit to conceal and it shows up when the officer plugs my plate # in.....I want him or her to be very comfortable w/ that....meaning visibility and hands where they can be seen. I usually roll the passenger side down too, so if there is a second officer they can see also. The only time I have ever been stopped for tint was 20 years ago in a clients car w/ factory tint and I got out of that by just reasoning that not only was it not mine but it came that way ( got a written warning tho):smiley_drive:.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Another vote for tint

I used to be totally against it because I thought it limited visibility. My first vehicle with tinted windows took a while to get used to. I really hated it at first especially at night.
The current rig I've had for around ten years now and I am totally used to the tint and like having it for the security reasons stated by others here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior