Mat for tent entrance?

Verbalkint99

Observer
Thanks for the ideas everyone. Gonna go check out the local home improvement stores and maybe get some out door carpet/Astroturf.

Robert Bills

Explorer
Having used both astro turf and an inexpensive Home Depot welcome mat, I prefer the latter. Astro turf holds sand and dirt which, no matter how much you shake it out, will inevitably grind its way into everything inside your rig on the return trip. As noted, the welcome mats can serve many purposes. I use mine as a tent entrance mat, the floor for my Zodi shower, and as a clean place to organize tools and parts during a trail repair. Hadn't thought of improvising one as a sand ladder until Frenchie mentioned it.,

Honu

lost on the mainland
looks like knit shadecloth ? might have to go see if they have it in stock at a store or buy some compare :)

96r50

Observer
Aren't you guys going camping in the woods, not at the Hilton? What happened to the idea of no shoes in the tent, which prevented 99% of the dirt from being tracked in? ;)

paulj

Expedition Leader
But a mat outside the tent door, or in the vestibule, provides a clean(er) space to sit when removing the shoes, or to kneel when reaching into the tent. It helps me keep the tent shoe-free.

hoser

Explorer
looks like knit shadecloth ? might have to go see if they have it in stock at a store or buy some compare :)
The material is double layered (two different colors) and is heavy, so staking down is probably unnecessary unless quite windy. The edges don't curl up either.

I am planning on placing it in the "front" room of an Oztent, which has no floor. Just gotta get an Oztent now.

96r50

Observer
But a mat outside the tent door, or in the vestibule, provides a clean(er) space to sit when removing the shoes, or to kneel when reaching into the tent. It helps me keep the tent shoe-free.

I see that, but isn't it easier to just sit/kneel in the tent and still keep the shoes outside? It just seems like a doormat for a tent is one extra thing to carry around. I guess it depends where you are on the sliding scale of critical vs convenience stuff. :D

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I just picked up a chunk of astroturf/outdoor carpet to try on the next trip. I got another piece to put the Fold-A-Privy over. The wife is afraid of bugs coming into visit. I might give the carpet a coat of something like Home Defense or something to help out too.
Careful, any mat or place you intend to take your shoes off and walk on combined with a chemical that says avoid skin contact might be a bad idea. Just thinking out loud.
Back when Fred Flintstone and I were in Scouts tents didn't have floors. We sprayed the bottom edge of the tent walls with bug juice, Deet mostly :Wow1: worked pretty well.

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I'll definitely be buying a yard or two of shade cloth to put in front of our trailer door. The indoor outdoor carpet we use now is packed with sand, burrs, and foxtails.

I think I'll add a few grommets to stake it and keep it from getting kicked up by the dog and blown away in the desert winds we have here.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Being a Glamper, I use one of those rug samples from a flooring store, they usually throw them out after the carpet is discontinued. I go mine for free when I went into a store and asked if they have any that they do not want. I get them in a neutral colour, speckled, light tan with dark brown. They do not show the dirt, much and I take it in at night when I sleep. When it does get dirt, a slap or two on the tire, or a wash in a creek and it's ready to sue again. Makes for a nice place to rest your feet with the sandals/shoes off and relax, suntan, or whatever with a cool one. costumed-smiley-007

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
I see that, but isn't it easier to just sit/kneel in the tent and still keep the shoes outside? It just seems like a doormat for a tent is one extra thing to carry around. I guess it depends where you are on the sliding scale of critical vs convenience stuff. :D

why sit in the tent ? when you have a large RTT room its easier not to sit on the ground but stand up or have chairs outside to sit and take stuff off etc...

our trailer allows us to have some comforts which are nice to have :)

I hear ya about critical vs convenience but I have done my time in a small tent ? over 3 years and longest stretch was 6 months straight out of a 2 man tent :) while I loved it I have a family now and the room and comfort are nice at this point in my life

no good pic but this gives you a idea easy to ge in and out
HUGE shade area where in AZ its nice to keep out of the sun with kids and cook and hang out etc..
but I kinda like the South African safari attitude of camping more than the primitive stuff these days :)

web.jpg

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
The material is double layered (two different colors) and is heavy, so staking down is probably unnecessary unless quite windy. The edges don't curl up either.

I am planning on placing it in the "front" room of an Oztent, which has no floor. Just gotta get an Oztent now.

did you try this ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles