Mat for tent entrance?

Verbalkint99

Observer
Hello, normally when I go camping I throw a small tarp on the ground at the entrance to the tent. After a day or so it starts filling up with dirt and if it rains, water.

Just wondering what you guys use as an alternative, if anything.

Thanks

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Try shade cloth.

It allows you to keep your feet clean and all the dirt falls through back on to the ground.

SilverBullet

Explorer
On ou ttent trailer (I know, not a tent, but you will see the idea) we have a large indoor/outdoor piece of astroturf. It folds up small and lets water through. If you got a smaller one for the tent, this could roll into the tent sack and not even be an extra storage issue.

dms1

Explorer
I use a piece of cheap outdoor carpet \ astroturf - you can get it a home depot cheap.

Honu

lost on the mainland
shade cloth is a good one for sure

at this point we are also using a outdoor carpet roll we got at costco
fits nice and also lets our little one crawl around etc... and is nice for him to play on our last camp trip the ground was pretty rocky so the thick of the carpet was a nice break on the little ones

while it can gather stuff on it water runs through it and it drys very quick

once he gets a bit older and is not on his knees as much go back to shade cloth with grommets and stakes that hold it down tight and flush if the ground allows

paulj

Expedition Leader
another endorsement for shade cloth. I usually use it doubled. This the coarsely knit plastic fabric sold in garden centers, to provide shade over plants and people.

4xdog

Explorer
In front of my tent I use a doormat made from strips of cut-up tires strung together with wire. These used to be quite common, but aren't seen so much anymore (at least by me).

This mat has the advantages of (1) allowing stuff to fall through it, so material like sand is not tracked into the tent so much, (2) staying off the ground, thereby giving some protection from wet ground, and (3) rolling up for convenient stowing. It fits under the rainfly when needed.

Don

rambrush

Adventurer
I also use shade cloth, under the tent over the tent and for the door mat. Plus we use it as the flooring when we are setting up the kitchen for extended stays.
I buy mine from Gemplers they carry it in all weights and sizes.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
We use a small swatch of outdoor carpet. It serves double duty, I wrap it around the tent stake hammer and stow it all in the tent bag (so it doesn't poke the tent)

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I just picked up a chunk of astroturf/outdoor carpet to try on the next trip. I got another piece to put the Fold-A-Privy over. The wife is afraid of bugs coming into visit. I might give the carpet a coat of something like Home Defense or something to help out too.

SilverBullet

Explorer
I might give the carpet a coat of something like Home Defense or something to help out too.

Careful, any mat or place you intend to take your shoes off and walk on combined with a chemical that says avoid skin contact might be a bad idea. Just thinking out loud.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Careful, any mat or place you intend to take your shoes off and walk on combined with a chemical that says avoid skin contact might be a bad idea. Just thinking out loud.

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I will just spray it with some Off.

bluejeep

just a guy
(not argueing with the posters who have first hand experience - just adding my few cents (sense?) to the thread)

For the 'welcome' mat, I'm trying the rubber anti-fatique mat (about 1/2" thick rubber, with big holes) first. My thinking is -

- depending on the smoothness of the ground underneath, it will be easier to walk/stand on without shoes,
- probably last longer than shade cloth (which may rip on stuff),
- won't be 'squishy' if the ground is wet, (unless there's a fair bit of mud underneath)
- will let me wipe/scrap off the bottom of my boots/shoes a bit
- doubles as a shower mat

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste