Edgestar fridge, outside on the trailer?

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
So i'm finishing up my trailer build and am putting my edgestar 43qt fridge on front. Does it need a cover? Is in remotely water/weather proof/resistant? I can build a box for it, but I'm not gonna bother if it can handle the elements. Anyone know or have an idea on this?

Think fully exposed to rain/weather/cold/etc....

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
So i'm finishing up my trailer build and am putting my edgestar 43qt fridge on front. Does it need a cover? Is in remotely water/weather proof/resistant? I can build a box for it, but I'm not gonna bother if it can handle the elements. Anyone know or have an idea on this?

Think fully exposed to rain/weather/cold/etc....

My recommendation would be to not do this.

At the very least the cooling coils are going to get coated in grim and won't work efficiently. A fridge freezer is an important piece of kit and a badly functioning or broken fridge can ruin a trip.

More importantly, if you drink American beer at room temperature it's disgusting.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If you were to enclose the fridge in a box, how much extra space would be required to properly run it?

The box only needs to be a few inches larger all the way around for clearance, but the problem would be air circulation. The box would need to be vented. Vents are a problematic as they allow dust and moisture in. The solutions to this such as Goretex barriers don't work well when they are covered in dust.

If the box doesn't have enough air circulation the temperatures in the box increase and the fridge doesn't work efficiently.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I know at least one person who carries his National Luna fridge on the open flat bed of his pick-up truck. In thousands of miles, he has had no problems.

Mounted on the tongue (front) of the trailer may be more problematic. You might consider a box with filtered vents and a cabinet (or computer) fan with a filter element to move air.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Maybe construct a box with the backside cut open and a feature to hold a furnace filter? Might keep out the dust but allow air exchange.

/crazy idea.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
ok, so it looks like I'm gonna run out of time to build a box for the fridge before my trip (on Sunday)...So gonna put the fridge in the trailer (m416) and run a lead from my battery box to the fridge and hope it doesn't come loose. I'll make the platform for the fridge/battery box but just won't put the fridge there now (I'll throw on a cooler). Once I get to our cabin, I'll switch out the fridge and the cooler so the fridge/battery can be wheeled around (did I mention the battery box/fridge platform will be removable from the trailer and can be wheeled around?). Thanks for all the feedback, and before you ask, I'll get around to pics once it's actually finished (not enough time to stop and take pictures).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior