advice on 60 series

Acorn

Observer
So there's a guy in town selling a 1983 Toyota Land cruiser that's a 60 series, its supposedly in great shape, I've seen it driving around town a few times and it looks great, minor modifications including a snorkel.

The guy is asking about 15 grand ish for it (its not technically for sale, he's looking for offers, so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible)

What I want to know is what are these things like for aftermarket, what kind of performance and reliability should I be looking for. And I'm sorry, but I don't know the mileage. More info to come

Oh, and its a diesel, but I don't know what model of diesel. I also know he's recently had a complete overhaul of pretty much everything, keeping it fairly stock but in good working order

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
The LC60 is one of the best looking and certainly the first or second quintessential Cruiser ever made. With this said, prices can be $100-$24,000 depending on condition. In my very humble opinion keeping it stock is key.

Internatonally (are you US?) they could be had in diesel 4cyl B engines BJ60 or diesel 6 cyl engines HJ60s. There are numerous incarnations and years of each of them. If not a Toyota diesel then you'll want to do your research as to which engine and who did the swap and WHY the swap was done.

I've seen beautiful LC60s go above $15k, but I would venture to guess that you could buy a less-than-steller FJ60 and build yourself a very nice 60 for that price keeping near-OEM running gear.

AFTERMARKET = good. No LC has the support Jeep does, but you'll find everything you likely would want with ease.
RELIABILITY = arguably second to none (check if there was an engine conversion)
PERFORMANCE = off-highway is very good , on-highway average

Acorn

Observer
as far as I'm aware, its an FJ60, I'm going to be calling the guy tomorrow and getting as much information out of him as I can. All I have right now is a picture and a name.

its supposedly also a left hand drive... so I've been told

Klierslc

Explorer
The 60 will never be a great Highway cruiser, but they do pretty good. Finding out which diesel engine it has will be key. Some of the B diesels are pretty gutless, while other options run pretty well. Reliability should be excellent, but look for rust around the wheel wells and on the rear gate.

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
The LC60 is one of the best looking and certainly the first or second quintessential Cruiser ever made. With this said, prices can be $100-$24,000 depending on condition. In my very humble opinion keeping it stock is key.

Internatonally (are you US?) they could be had in diesel 4cyl B engines BJ60 or diesel 6 cyl engines HJ60s. There are numerous incarnations and years of each of them. If not a Toyota diesel then you'll want to do your research as to which engine and who did the swap and WHY the swap was done.

I've seen beautiful LC60s go above $15k, but I would venture to guess that you could buy a less-than-steller FJ60 and build yourself a very nice 60 for that price keeping near-OEM running gear.

AFTERMARKET = good. No LC has the support Jeep does, but you'll find everything you likely would want with ease.
RELIABILITY = arguably second to none (check if there was an engine conversion)
PERFORMANCE = off-highway is very good , on-highway average

Ditto Pskhaat,

Here is a link to a pre purchase checklist http://coolfj40.stores.yahoo.net/fjbuyguid2.html

And the FJ60/62 FAQ section at I8MUD http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/13183-fj60-fj62-faq-start-here-come-back-often.html

As well as the tech section: http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/

Also if it is a factory diesel you may be looking at an HJ60 and they are very desirable in the US, 15K seems a fair price. I have seen great looking rigs go for more and rust heaps go for way less.

Mark

BlueHZT60

Adventurer
An 83 diesel 60.

First, does it have a 5 speed in it? If not, the 83 needs drive-line modifications to add a 5 speed.

Second, does it have rust on the bottom right of the tailgate, rear fender wells, A-pillars, rear lift hatch?

Third, the diesel: HZ - great motor and power/economy balance. 2h - dog, but a great power plant, 3bt - a little small, but suitable for a non-expedition 60, 12ht - they don't make any more so you would be getting a potential parts problem, 1HDT - fantastic power plant, Chevy 6.2l - if built properly should be a really great power plant, 4bt-Cummins - loud, rattly but great mileage and this is a deep engine that requires a fairly large lift to allow the oil pan to clear the front differential.

At $15k, if it's built properly, clean and rust free it should be a good deal.

Mine is used hard and shows it, but maintained immaculately and I would not be able to let it go for any kind of reasonable price.

Enjoy

151fab

Observer
$15,000 is alot of money for a 60 in my opinion. That thing better be pretty darn pretty for that price.

I bought my 1984 FJ60, had it trucked home, threw a battery in it, pumped the peddle while turning it over and it started and ran fine after sitting for 6 plus months. It has no rust, a great interior with no rips in the seats or headliner, and I paid $1100 for it.

I realize were talking diesel, and I know that adds a bunch to the value, assuming it's a Toyota diesel and five speed trans, but I'd do alot of research before I dropped $15k on one. Also, be sure to drive and ride in one a bit first, as much as I love my 60 and many others love there's as well, they aren't for everyone and this isn't the market to be buying without trying first because you might not get as lucky as this guy and have someone just come along looking for a higher-priced classic.

Saying all that, I would love to see some pics of this thing as I'm sure we all would. Why don't you take some pics and get some more info on it and post that all here. We would all love to pick it apart for you.

Good luck with the purchase and upcoming addiction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne