Topless

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Well the weather seems to be nice, so I removed the top from my 1980 HJ45 today. If it gets wet again, she'll just stay in the garage. Specs; 6 cylinder Toyota Diesel 66,000 kilo. recently imported from Australia. Plans; OME 2.5" lift, 33x9.50 BFG's on vintage grey steelies w/hubcaps topped off with a Warn 8274-50.

Here's a pic of my co-pilot as we are safety wiring the injection pump/governor. It had to be adjusted for the altitude.

100_1153.jpg

100_1256.jpg

100_1253.jpg

100_1257.jpg

100_1255.jpg

This thing is just fun to drive. It amazes me how many people wave at you.

navara-au

Observer
A long time ago I had a 1970 tray back. Never did get around too taking the roof off.
How long did it take? and does the wind screen bounce around at all?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
As fas as topless goes, that's pretty hot. :jumping:

I can't help but think, your HJ45 and my 4 Wheel Camper......:chowtime:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Sweet 45!!!!!

I do miss the full topless of my 75 Jimmy. I had a soft top for it but never put the windows in all summer. Just threw a tarp over it if I wasn't driving it. Have never pulled the top on my 86 Runner but may do that today to do a repair.

I'd put at least a hoop on that in case you flop it to make sure your helper has a little protection.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
It is very cool:drool: but I would be afraid to drive it on the hwy or a technical trail without a roll bar:eek:

I would wave like a mad man:luxhello:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
SOCALFJ said:

That is a cool truck!

Thanks for the kind words everybody. I hear what you guys are saying about a cage. Honestly, I don't think this will see a technical trail any time soon. I have the Unlimited for that. The last thing I want to do is thrash this one. This is the dirt road grocery getter. And with only 90 h.p. (Non-turboed diesel) I have not had it on the freeway. I'd imagine merging would be very scary. It likes to cruise at around 90 to 100 KPH! Isn't that around 55-65 mph?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I drove my m-715 on SoCal Fwy's at 60mph with the windshield down a few time... its quite the experience!!!!

I ended up putting a cage in it too after a bit... not cause i wheeled it hard.. but if a ************** cut me off on the fwy.. i might flop it and get crushed fairly easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier