Cheap interior light idea...?

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Ok,
One of you electrically minded whiz kids tell me I'm nuts please...
I had an odd idea and wonder if it is doable or not?
The inside dome lights on my full hard top no longer work (not worth a hoot anyways when they did!) so I had an idea. I have been using some el cheapo "tap" lights I bought from Wally world that are LEDs. They use 3 AAA batts (1.5V per batt) and I was wndering if there was any way to hard wire something like this into the jeeps top? Maybe use some kind of gizmo (sorry, electrical tard) to step down the voltage from the Jeeps 12V to what...4.5? Is this even possible? I think it would be nice to have some lights inside that work! And the LEDs should take the "shock and awe" of jeeping. Plus they are pretty bright, mount easy, and are cheap!
Anyone have any ideas..please share!

paulj

Expedition Leader
Is there a problem with the tap lights as they are?

I have couple in my Element for use at night when camping. I have no problems with battery life.

I did notice, though, that the adhesive on the velcro ring gave way on one of the lights. I may have to figure out another way of mounting them.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Check out superbrightleds.com or something to that effect. They make a bunch of good 12v LEDs. Reasonably priced too

-Sam

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Tap..Tap...Ta...oops

Is there a problem with the tap lights as they are?

I have couple in my Element for use at night when camping. I have no problems with battery life.

I did notice, though, that the adhesive on the velcro ring gave way on one of the lights. I may have to figure out another way of mounting them.

-No, there is really nothing "wrong" with the tap lights. Well, nothing much. But I was just thinking that if I could replace the batteries and wire it to the jeeps battery then I would allways have light? The only small issue with the lights I got from Wally world is they do like to come appart sometimes. If I could run the wiring through them I could then screw the back to the top and then glue the light together fo good....
Just kinda thinkin' out loud here..
Thanks Angel for the idea...I started this thread with the idea but without looking around at other sources first *smacks self in forehead*...My only experience with LEDs for vehicles has been those billion dollar replacement headlights I would love but will never afford! My thought was these on a budget...? I have come across these which don't seem very costly if the light is ample...? Anyone use these??

http://www.roundeyes.com/LED_Interior_Lighting-Off_Road_LED_s_Blue_Mini.html

01tundra

Explorer
Just another option to throw out there -

I just bought two fist clamps and use a rechargeable LED work/spot light, that way if I ever need a light somewhere other than in the truck, I just grab it and go.

You can rotate the light to shine where you want and mine works out really well because i can flip it to "spot" and it only shines out the end, illuminating my thermometer for my Engel so I can see what the temp is at night.......works like a champ....

I usually charge it every three months or so, not because it needs it, just because. Mine came with an AC & DC charger.

http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=90

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/National-Electric-NAT64305-Rechargeable-Flashlight/dp/B000MCY1MY"]Amazon.com: National Electric (NAT64305) "Dualite" Rechargeable Cordless Handheld 35 LED Flashlight: Home Improvement[/ame]

in1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz