Camping with Firearm-Post Bear Mauling

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
It will make me double check my bear spray...

Not sure a firearm is gonna help nearly as much as bear spray when you are in a tent...

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Nope, I still feel the same and still load slugs into the 12ga. when I'm in bear country just in case. :victory:

Agreed on the tent issue. If I slept in a tent I would probably keep bear spray handy as my first grab item too...:Wow1:

Errant

Explorer
All of these people were asleep when attacked? In the dark, in close proximity to each other? All food was properly stored? I don't think a firearm would have done much good.

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
I don't think a firearm would have done much good.
Firearm, bear spray, anything short of sleeping in a "bear box" would have failed. Still would have had the 12ga though. Not too fond of spray in an enclosed space. On the hip while out of the tent sure, but if I blind myself I'm really stuck.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I don't remember, wheather or not they were told of increased bear action, or not--

If not, we've been sleeping in tents for 100's of years and the No. of attacks are pretty low, so their No. was up !!

If I'm in an area and there has been recent bear action, We sleep in the Jeep, was a Xterra, but I'll keep my .45 handy anyway !!

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

dzzz

US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Firearm, bear spray, anything short of sleeping in a "bear box" would have failed. Still would have had the 12ga though. Not too fond of spray in an enclosed space. On the hip while out of the tent sure, but if I blind myself I'm really stuck.

getting blinded sucks... but you can bet that bear would have nothing to do with a tent full of bear spray... it would be your best bet... grab and squeeze... nothing to it.

your never gonna outrun a bear, much less at night... and would be unlikely to get off a good shot in the dark... especially if you are half asleep and have to worry about hitting folks in the camp site next to you. Trying to make it to your truck might work... if the bear was not in close proximity meaning you harm.

An unfortunate incident, for sure. However, I believe a gun would definitely not be the right tool for the job in this case.

I'm liking the idea of sleeping in my critter bag (RTT) more and more...

Keep bear spray for bears. Keep boom sticks for crazy people...

dzzz

Just by the numbers in a campground it's more likely to need to help someone being attack rather than protecting oneself. That would be tough to do with a gun. In this attack I'm sure some people were ineffective because they were scared, and some because they were unprepared.
The bears attacked at 4am, the same time a SWAT team would storm a building. It's suppose to be the slowest time for human reaction. I would like to think I would be prepared to help, but who knows until it happens.

stolenheron

Explorer
bear spray? there was a nice 1 hour documentary on animal planet on the bison herds in yellowstone. they were darting, taking samples, and tagging the animals. When 1 bison was downed, the herd still tried to protect its fallen member. the animals backed up with the approach of the scientists, park rangers, etc, but 1 was still a little pesky. they use bear mace on the thing animal (which was not being aggressive). The bison simple snorted and kept its ground. it was agitated at that point, but a second blast of mace made it back off....

now if any of you have been around large predators whether that be big cats, bears, wolves, crocodiles, etc. When they get their sights set on something or are in a fit of rage, generally a defense as "light" as bear mace won't do jacksh**. you're lucky if a combat knife can stop them. sure, plenty of attacks get fended off with just your hands alone, but those animals were generally curious and were not acting defensively or in a "rogue" nature. from the description of the attack, it wouldn't have mattered what you carried, that bear had its blinders on and was set to kill.

example: I share my backyard and nearly every possible moment outdoors in alligator country. 2 weeks ago a 10.5ft gator attacked a teenager swimming in a canal at night about 25 minutes from my house. The gator latched on to one arm when the teen was in the water. the teen fought back with his other arm and with a few punches the gator popped the arm off and left. The teenager lived. he was lucky that the alligator didnt deem him a threat. Had that gator been acting on territorial instincts and not compulsive/curious hunger, that kid would have been drowned and ripped to pieces in a matter of minutes.

a bear will act no different. bear mace is pretty futile IMO against a grizzly acting out of aggression or protecting cubs. pepper spray will be one heck of a hail mary if you're trying to stop a mother protecting its cubs or a territorial male. If the grizzly is simply exploring a campsite, sure, it'll probably shake them up pretty damn good. My best advice is to carry a substantial firearm in a tent AS WELL AS MACE. a 12g is probably your best bet if you're gonna leave it at camp. if you have to use a pistol, something .45 or a .50 would be the only thing that could make a bear flinch. if you don't believe in firearms or are unable to carry one, bearmace and anything else you can grab is about as good as anything. Keep bear mace on you WITH a firearm as well. if the situation calls for less than lethal force, you have an option to let both you and the bear walk away...but if it turns bad, you have a better chance of making it than you would with just a less than lethal method of defense.

I would be heartbroken if i had to shoot a bear. I'm a HUGE animal lover. I am an avid hiker, herpetologist (amateur until i graduate with my degree), fisherman, and hunter. Predators are amazing animals and by far the most fun to observe in the wild. You best "defense" against an animal is to prevent them from getting close in the first place. while hiking and hunting that can be a problem, but while camping it isn't. Properly storing food and disposing of trash correctly will greatly reduce the likelihood of a bear or any other "opportunist" from entering camp.

and in all honesty. do NOT freak out just because an attack occurred. hysteria is not necessary and is a terrible thing. it gets animals killed for no reason and people in trouble. just stay alert and take necessary precautions, cant do any more than that other than to not go out in the woods at all.

Last edited:

Wiley

Adventurer
Anyone who read the article would most likely agree that neither bear spray, nor a gun would have been effective in this situation. That being said, I agree that a gun would probably be worse in this situation, between the hour of night, the other people around who could potentially get hit, and the general chaos that must have ensued...but who knows without being in that situation.

aires35

Adventurer
bear or no bear

we camp in Big Bend drive-in primitive sites along the Rio Grande. i always carry a firearm, loaded and chambered when there. we don't have grizzly's, but plenty of other threats.
if you feel it necessary to carry a firearm, for your sake and others around you, PLEASE GET TRAINING!!! get professional training, and then go to the range often.
i believe the old adage, "i'd rather have a gun and not need it, the need a gun and not have it."

S

Street Wolf

Firearm wouldn't do any good? You aren't carrying the right firearm. :sombrero:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
As I mentioned in the other thread,

A "campground" bear is completely different than the bear you might encounter in the back country.

A campground bear has an objective. And it is a simple one. Find and retrieve food. By any means necessary. They know that campers carry food, so they look for it, and take it by force if need be.

Back-country bears really want nothing to do with you. Just be sure you dont startle them, as they will respond in a matter you probably wont approve of. :Wow1:

Knowing this, VERY few hand guns will put a bear down. I carry a .40 semi-auto any time we are out in the woods. But I know my chances of actually surviving a bear attack, gun or not, are quite slim.

In order to put one down with a hand gun, you'd have to wait for the bear to show you a soft spot, to allow a clear shot at vitals. Good luck with that.:coffee: Id also recommend nothing short of a .45

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94