The "Well isn't that Clever" Thread

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
At the right side of the page on the link, almost at the top, the is a pink bar that says "contribute now"
They won't be available for a while. This is a way for start up companies to raise capital to continue developing their ideas.
This one was especially good because if you purchase one, they will also donate one to a family in South Africa in your name and you get pictures.
Kind of makes you feel good inside, and who doesn't need that now a days.

Jeff

86tuning

Adventurer
Just a note of warning...

I bought a cheap version of that cigarette lighter flashlight. When I got it home I discovered that the instructions said it shouldn't be left in the cigarette lighter for more than two hours at a time. Not meant to be left there full time, which was my intention, so I took it back.

Pull it out 1/4" so it's not charging and you can leave it there forever. Or you can toss it into a cubby as well.

My USB charger is on a constantly powered outlet so that I can charge a phone overnite or whatever when the truck is off. So when it's not in use, it is pulled out 1/4" to turn it off. Easier than putting a power switch on it. Less complexity and lower parts count means lower chance of faulty parts.

v_man

Explorer
Voltmeter wired directly to battery for accuracy...my 'Runner didn't come with a stock voltmeter.

It's interesting to see the electrical draw of of different circuits in use .

KC lights, BIG draw
Winch BIIIIG draw
LED lights small draw

IMG_0963_zps2407f591.jpg

IMG_0964_zpsb01b7571.jpg

v_man

Explorer
There is no switch on the voltmeter itself , you will need to wire one in . I mounted a simple on/off switch and put it here:
imageedit_6_2560026552_zpse9baa0df.gif

Maybe it's me , but I don't find it too bright ... maybe because it's not directly in my field of vision

theksmith

Explorer
when i replaced all my interior lights with LED bulbs, it was suddenly so much brighter... this was great when at camp, but just getting out of the rig while on a night run would destroy my night vision for a moment. so i wired up alternate red LEDs inside the factory overhead housings on their own switch. the Grand Cherokee's factory interior dimmer switch had a setting that completely disabled all the interior lights, so i just use that setting on night runs and then switch on my red LEDs whenever i need.

normal lights on:

P1010602.JPG

red "night vision keeper" lights on:

P1010601.JPG

when i did this originally several years ago, the red LED's i used weren't that bright. i just replaced them with these from oznium.com and they are just right now (i used 2 modules per factory housing). they just stick on and have ultra thin wires, so you can easily add them inside a factory reflector while leaving the white bulbs in place too.

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG

i know a guy that took the idea to the next level and added a switch and wiring so that he could turn all the interior lights from white to red on command and still have them come on/off with the door opening. that was neat but too much wiring for me ;)

v_man

Explorer
Foot switch for lights in front ...

I wired up this foot switch down low for some bright LED lights I installed ...

IMG_1707_zpsf55c9289.jpg

It operates like an on/off switch . The LED lights are not quite , uh , legal for street use . My purpose is using them is
off road , or possibly on remote mountain highways , so I wanted to be able to quickly turn them off when
other cars approached ...

Here is the lights I got up front so far , headlights , round KC driving lites , and the LED's down lowest ...

IMG_1713_zps1891c4e5.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94