Abandoning the RTT for a ground tent...

Viggen

Just here...
Was doing research into a RTT and the more I thought about it, the more Im thinking that a really nice, year round capable ground tent. Trails are a little tight around here and the ability to set up camp at a spot and then venture out is a huge plus too. Not to mention that for between 1/3 and 1/2 the price of a good RTT, a kick *** ground tent can be had. Also, not having an additional 130 lbs on the roof is attractive. So, Im looking for guidance as this will be my first ground tent.

Must be:
- Durable but not too crazy complicated
- 3 or so person capable, although it will be mostly used for two people
- 3 seasons capable with modification for winter use if I want

So, recommendations?

Superu

Explorer
I would suggest checking out the reviews from these two sites on a variety of 4 season tents. If you think you may use it in winter, you'll be much happier with a 4 season to start with rather than trying to make a 3 season comfortable in the winter.

Backcountry.com

Backpacker.com

Lichen

Explorer
I came to the same conclusions that you did concerning a RTT and ended up buying an OZ tent. They are a bit expensive and you'll probably need a roof rack to carry it, but it takes less than a minute to set up.

pangaea

Adventurer
Personally, I prefer to use a ground tent sometimes in place of a RTT, for alot of the reasons you mention. However, sometimes, I LOVE sleeping on a proper mattress and sleeping in until mid-morning.

I won't give a specific recommendation, since I haven't been tent shopping in almost 10 years, but here's my tent and what I love about it (aka features to look for):

http://www.outdoorreview.com/cat/ou...g/tents/the-north-face/PRD_77717_2955crx.aspx

1. Light enough for backpacking
2. Full-length sleeves for the tent poles (I think that makes it much easier to construct than the hooks that a lot of tents use) Seems to be more of a expedition/4season design
3. Good-sized outdoor vestibules (keep boots, etc out of rain, keep sand out of tent, etc)
4. Can take the rain-fly off for hot desert camping.
5. Don't need tent steaks
6. taped bucket floor wraps up the wall so you don't NEED a ground tarp.

Sadly, the Peregrine doesn't seem to be made anymore, but those are some of the features that I really love about this tent and would require in my next one. But since the tent looks practically new after 10 years of use, I don't think that'll come anytime soon.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
My wife and I use a Big Agnes Big House 6 with the full vestibule for camps where we'll be staying a couple nights or more. I really love the tent for it's unbelievable ease of set-up. It's absolutely massive, has two doors, a vestibule big enough to spend time in, and a host of other perks. On the down side, while it's survived a few storms well enough I have a feeling anything more than 30mph winds, or 6" of snow would be a crisis. I'm also not sure Big Agnes tents are made to last the years. I'm extremely tent particular and I have some quality nit-picks with that brand. i'm also luck to be a buyer for an outdoor store and see which tents hold up and which get complaints. If you're good to your gear it'll be fine. The Big House is available in a 4 person as well. For car camping....great size.

Mineral Creek.jpg

I'm 6'1" and I can not only stand in that tent, I can walk around in it. I think our fastest set up was still under 5 minutes.

dzzz

REI reviews are helpful.
I definitely suggest a car camping tent in which you can stand up. Space is a luxury. Later if you want to backpack you can buy an inexpensive small tent. I suggest three season. Do some fall camping and see if you really want to do winter camping.

A heavy ~$300 mid-priced tent is a good choice. No benefit in paying more for light weight.

Last edited:

Viggen

Just here...
Im glad that there are a number of you that agree. The RTT is the quintessential expedition look equipment but the weight way up high, the addition of an aerodynamic brick onto an already aero challenged truck, lack of storage after use (thinking about leaving it mounted full time but decided against that due to parking garages then not being an option) and the fact that it will be snagged, rubbed and hit by branches, etc... This leaves me with a ground tent. If the sleeping arrangement gets tough, theres always the ability to air up the mattress :)

Never looked at the OzTent and it looks pretty cool but it is also a pretty huge. Im not looking for a backpacker light tent but not something as big as the Oz. I get the going for a 4 seasons tent too but I am concerned about the possible lack of ventilation in a 4 season tent. Are they still going to be cool in the summer time? I dont know as I havent actually bought a tent before. Ive always borrowed a friends and have no idea what it was.

The Big Agnes looks good but I am a big quality guy. If you dont think that it will last, Ill have to pass on it. Im good on equipment but not that careful. Sometimes in a rush, or lack of sleep, I have a habit of just throwing things around, especially when packing, so it has got to last.

Never heard of Nemo tents, just familiar with the main brands like North Face, REI, Marmot, etc... The Moki is seriously nice along with the Losi 3P but then again, Ive never heard of the company so I know nothing about them. Looking at a budget of around $500 for a nice, 3 person, quality tent.

dzzz

This is a big "four man tent" with a single cot. I like how this guy car camps.

7881177_67116_full.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
+1 for Dzzz

I think if you're going to car camp, you might as well take a big roomy tent. It's not as much fun to car camp with a cramped backpacking tent, so you've already committed to a little bit of excess. Go big.

My critical criteria for a big tent is ease of set-up. The convenience of a big tent can be thwarted by an aggrivating and lengthy set up.

I helped BajaTaco with the Overland Journal family camping tent review and the Snowpeak tent was not only a slow pitch, it took two attempts on two days with four people walking in circles around it scratching our heads.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
The Big Agnes looks good but I am a big quality guy. If you dont think that it will last, Ill have to pass on it. Im good on equipment but not that careful. Sometimes in a rush, or lack of sleep, I have a habit of just throwing things around, especially when packing, so it has got to last.

Never heard of Nemo tents, just familiar with the main brands like North Face, REI, Marmot, etc... .
Nemo is arguably the most forward thinking tent manufacturer in the world right now. At a time when most companies are reinventing the same stuff for the fifth time, Cam and his team are creating revolutionary tents with a level of quality that I would certainly trust my life with. As someone who spent several years on Mountain Hardwear's tent testing team, Cam is waaaaaay out front. It'll take years for people to match his level of product sophistication.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94