Homemade Snorkel Build for an XJ

Dirty_Jeeper

Adventurer
I hit a lot of brush, heavy brush at times, so I kept it as close to the body as possible. It's also very secure where it exits the engine compartment and on the windshield pillar. I wanted cooler and cleaner air for running around the hot dry deserts here, as well as engine protection from inhaling mud and water. Next will be louvered vents to let heat escape the engine compartment. It's not a rock crawler so I think it will last as long as the rig.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Next will be louvered vents to let heat escape the engine compartment.

Be careful when designing the location for the vents. I many situations people have actually made things worse by adding in a vent in the wrong spot and allowing the cool air to escape instead of cool other areas of the engine bay. It's been said (on another forum) that a properly maintained and functioning cooling system should be more than adequate to cool a stock engine setup.

On the other hand if you're running an aftermarket turbo with intercooler, etc. then vents may be a good idea so long as you design it properly.

Dirty_Jeeper

Adventurer
I wasn't content with the grate I installed on my snorkel to protect it from objects entering it. So here is the change. I removed all the ribs but the X to keep large things out, like birds! Behind it I installed a nylon mesh screen with approximately quarter in openings in the mesh.
XJSnorkel001-3.jpg

The nylon mesh I used is the mesh that pool safety fences are made from. It's made to withstand the elements and to safely keep children from getting passed it and into the pool. It's very strong material.
XJSnorkel008-2.jpg

bigcat

inside

could someone take some pictures and maybe explain how your homemade snorkle is set up to the filter and how you made it air tight, im planning on making one for my trooper. Thanks

Dirty_Jeeper

Adventurer
Here you go Bigcat.... This is the stock XJ air box. I took a square of like plastic which I cut out of a Stanley plastic shelf tray and pop riveted ot in the factory opening. Then I sealed it twice with Permatex High Temp Gasket Sealant. Twice in the outside and twice on the inside. Next I made a 3" hole in the opposite end of the air box, closest to where I wanted to exit the engine compartment.
XJ%20Snorkel%20DIY

Next step was to install the 3" fitting and again seal it twice on both sides. Then I filled the two drain holes in the bottom of the box and sealed the rubber mounting bolt bushings as well.
XJ%20Snorkel%20DIY

Next I used a rubber 3" 90 degree hose with hose clamps to connect from the air box fitting to the PVC from the snorkel which entered through my fender.
XJSnorkel004-2.jpg

The other thing to do is waterproof all of your electrical connections. Distributor, computer etc. Snorkel is just step one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior