Actual temp decrease of tints

Topgun514

Adventurer
I was planning on painting my jeep this week white because the black is killing me in the summer. I want it done right and its looking like a bit more than I want to spend right now...I am still waiting on a friend to help but it looks like a bit more than 300.

I was wondering though, Instead if I got my windows tinted, would this cut down on the interior heat of my jeep? If not I can wait for my next pay check but I have no tint now, would tinting help a bit to keep temps down?

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
Black is black, absorbs more radiant heat than any other color

tints would make little or no diference, and a cheap paint job will only detract from the value of your truck.

>50oC here everyday...............park under tree's-use the white sun blinds
park in the shade.............

try adding gas to your AC !

Topgun514

Adventurer
Unfortunately, my 88 XJ has no AC.

I have read a ton that its been keeping it cooler and there is even a thread below this one talking about tinting expo vehicles.

Damn it, Now I am confused more about this.

SpencerFitch

Observer
I almost wouldn't bother with either if you dont have a/c.

Tint would cost about half of the paint job.

If your dont have a/c your probably driving with the windows down anyway, in which either would just help when your vehicle is parked with windows up.

Do you not have a/c or is your a/c broke?

Id save the money and FIX the a/c if its broke. Its usually not very hard.

Topgun514

Adventurer
My Jeep didnt come with AC

And I have been in a car that was white and windows up with no AC, its a big difference, and I read your thread about tinted windows and most people say it helps with safety as well as keeping temps down.

Direct sunlight is warmer than shade. That was my thought

SpencerFitch

Observer
My Jeep didnt come with AC

And I have been in a car that was white and windows up with no AC, its a big difference, and I read your thread about tinted windows and most people say it helps with safety as well as keeping temps down.

Direct sunlight is warmer than shade. That was my thought

Hmm well your all the way up there in utah, so maybe we have a different kind of heat, but I know friends with blacked out windows and their vehicles are still VERY hot if left parked. They MAY be cooler than without tint, but its not a huge difference, not enough to drive with the windows down vs windows up.

As for the color. I like to THINK that my white landrover stays cooler, maybe a little bit but agian I guess for where I live, hot is hot and its everywhere.

On a side note, with a/c the tint does seem to help alot, from what I have seen. I guess to me its just, if you park the car its going to eventually get as hot as it would without tint, just might take a little bit longer.

Topgun514

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply,

The tinting I was looking at is UV blocking and with overlanding and camping in the Jeep as well as blocking sunlight in the trunk. Also, I dont open all the windows, I typically open only the front windows anyways too. But driving through the canyons having the wind blow the hot air out and then closing the windows on the highway to keep this slow jeep moving would be nice.

I was in the mohave the other day...an accurate thermometer (government specs) read 112 at 7 pm at night...My jeep has no ac, nor was it ever in my jeep, anything I can do will help. I am hoping more people have some insight because my butt sticks to the seat like syrup.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Tinting makes a bigger difference than you think to the interior heat of a vehicle. Why do you think some trucks come tinted direct from the factory, why to office towers tint their windows, why are the high end windows for homes tinted. YES it cuts down heat a lot! besides, you get the privacy as well as the kool factor most posers really like.

My truck cost only $200 to have 8 separate glass sections tinted included an additional 6 inch strip across the wind screen. Much less than having the rig painted white! And...it made quite the difference in heat inside. Any vehicle left in teh sun say like a parking lot in Phoenix in the summer is going to get hot no matter what you do! Park in the shade instead, use a sun visor, leave the windows cracked, etc.:costumed-smiley-007

Last edited:

SpencerFitch

Observer
Hell, in your case I would try ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING..

However I still feel, that without a/c your going to be baking even with tint. Im going to look into this or maybe do some tests, but I have a feeling with tint it will only TAKE longer to get hot, but they will both reach about the same temperature [from the outside]

BUT since you dont have a/c does that mean you dont have a blower either? I could NOT imagine, driving around with the windows up and NO breeze or anything, I guess you could Crack" the window.

SpencerFitch

Observer
I hear that anything below 15% will heat the vehicle up.... ?!?

Who knows, either way I would never go below 30%

Also
note: ALL window glass (not specially treated or tinted) blocks MOST ALL UVB (so called "redness rays"), but NOT UVA, or the "wrinkling rays".

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Dunno where you are hearing the rumors about tint increasing heat, here is my personal practical experience:

I have been driving an assortment of cars and trucks for 10 years to transport a working K9. When I first started, we would only tint the area of the car that contained the kennel. Then we started adding tint to the front side windows as well. Now, I know you dont have A/C but when we added the tint to the front, the car got, on average, 10 degrees cooler inside when running the air. I know this because all our cars have interior heat alarms to protect the K9 and it shows real time temps. My current vehicle is an Expedition which we added limo tint to the already factory tinted windows and the A/C can get the interior down to 60 degrees or less on a summer day. Does tint help? Absolutely.

Now, when I park my truck I crack the windows (I have VentShades on all four windows) and then put a reflective screen up inside the windshield. On a summer day I can get in the truck and have an interior temp between 90 and 105. Which, considering my truck sits exposed to full sunlight all day, is not bad in my book. I am sure if I didnt have the tint and shield up it would be considerably hotter.

So, I would have to say that adding tint = increasing your vehicle's temp to be dubious.

Just my $.02.

L

LeoLR

If your Jeep is a bare bones model with no a/c than painting it on the cheap may not make a huge difference in resale. I would suggest using Interlux Brightside boat paint. Last longer, more UV resistent, and waxes up better than a cheap automotive paint job. Check out this guys Series that he painted with topside boat paint.

http://www.pbase.com/g4joel/73_series_iii_88

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Every vehicle interior will get hot with high ambient temps. Tint can't help that. When you put a turkey in the oven, does the inside stay cooler if you tint the turkey??

Tint helps with keeping out UV and direct sunlight. I find it very helpful and it also saves the interior and your skin from UV damage.
The safety issue with tint is also great for offroaders, I know someone that tinted just for that reason alone.
I would highly recommend film on all glass in your car.

JohnMcD348

Observer
As was stated in a previous post, Tint alone will not keep an interior cool. I live in Central Florida and have the legal limit tint on my primary vehicle, 08 Ram MegaCab 4x4, and it gets hot inside. I also religiously place a window shade in the front when I am not in there to help block addition heat from coming through. Even then, my steering wheel will be warm to touch and on a really bright day with no cloud cover, it gets hot. When my wife drives the vehicle and doesn't use the shade it gets (&*^%#@*&%#ing Hot. Nearly to the point of being too hot to touch. So, tinting will help to decrease the temps but it will still get hot. The best thing that Tint does is help the A/C cool better than without. It does cut down on the amount of heat transmitted through teh glass but it still gets hot.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I am just south of you, and I notice no differnce in my White WJ and my tan CJ.

If you are seriously going to go do it, consider 'bus kote' (and then tell me how it worked) They are an insulative paint product. Made for insulating the roof of school busses. Anyhow it lays on REALLY thick (like a CM or so) and thus you get some insulation out of the white paint.

I have thought about putting it on the roof of my WJ someday, but no idea if it would really help or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior