common 2nd gen 4runner problems?

AxleIke

Adventurer
Lots of good info there. They can have rot in the seam between the door and the rear fender, check it out if its coming from a rusty area. Also at the back of the rear fenders (can hold mud/water).

I cannot stress enough the idler arm issue ESPECIALLY with ball joint spacers. I had an 87 with a 22re, so, a bit lighter in the front. I would wreck a BRAND NEW idler in 2 wheeling trips with 33x9.50's. Total chaos is the best way to fix the issue, and it is cheaper than a new one from toyota, but more than the aftermarket.

People have already mentioned the centerlink recall.

One other area of rust/concern is the passenger side frame end lower control arm mount in the rear. It sits next to the gas tank and it can get very rusty on the inside, where you cannot see it. A buddy of mine with a 93 had is just peal off the truck. Not too fun.

If you plan to do more difficult trails/ or high speed running, I recommend a brace welded or bolted between the rear mounts of the lower A-arms in the front. The suspension, if bottomed out, can put a lot of leverage on those brackets and they will spread, causing alignment issues. If you are just running dirt roads, this is overkill and not needed. It does provide a nice place to mount a lower skid to, however.

Check the bottom of the tail gate for rust. If the seals on the rear window go bad, a lot of water can pool in the bottom (drains usually get plugged with dirt and dust, which turns to mud and hardens up after wet/dry cycles.

Thats all I can think of. Great trucks, you'll love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior