common 2nd gen 4runner problems?

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
I plan to go check out a '90 4runner as a replacement for my YJ one day this week. I know most will say to find a 3rd gen for the 3.4, but I'm fine with the 3.0 and the '90 is a 2 door adding a certain cool factor. I know what to look for as far as engine/trans/suspension but was wondering if there were any common areas to look at closely for rot or other problems.

dms1

Explorer
The 3.0 liter engine had a head gasket recall, so you might want to make sure this has been done by a Toyota dealer. If you have family, I would highly recommend a four door, it makes getting in and out much easier, and if you don't have family I still recommend the 4 door as it makes getting to your gear much easier.

Having owned a 93 4 Runnner and curently owning a 85 and 99 4 Runner - I recommend getting a 3rd gen.

Applejack

Explorer
X'2 on the head gasket. Even if it has been re-done, you're not likely to get another 100k before it will blow again.
Ask me how I know.:sombrero:

07 Elephant

Adventurer
3x on the head gasket. I drove my '90 for 14 years and had the engine rebuilt twice. It was free the first time due to the recall and then on me the second time. I wouldn't deal with it again. Look at a 3rd gen instead.

ldivinag

Adventurer
while cool... the 2 doors are treated by the US gov when imported as trucks. and hence the higher tariffs.

4 doors were cars... lower taxes.

anyways, have you tried to get to the back seats in the 2 doors?

also, getting stuff in and out is much much better with 2 additional doors.

if it were me? i'd go with the 3.4 and 3rd gen.

tacollie

Glamper
I would take a 3rd gen with 200k+ mile over a 2nd gen. with 100k+ miles anyday. My second 3.0 for my 90 was on Toyota and my third was $4400 on me. The 4runner had 185k mile when I sold it.

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
The 3.0 liter engine had a head gasket recall, so you might want to make sure this has been done by a Toyota dealer.
Already on the trail of checking to be sure the gaskets were done(waiting for the vin# to have it run). With 160k on it I'll probably take the heads from my buddy's old motor(he's going to a 3.4) and have them rebuilt. I can do the heads/gaskets, timing belt and maybe a new oil pump over a weekend. I know a few people with 3.0s with over 300k so I'm not too worried about the motor holding up. If I put a grand into it and it lasts two years I'll be happy. Maybe then I'll look into a 3.4 swap.
If you have family, I would highly recommend a four door, it makes getting in and out much easier, and if you don't have family I still recommend the 4 door as it makes getting to your gear much easier.
have you tried to get to the back seats in the 2 doors?
also, getting stuff in and out is much much better with 2 additional doors.
The two doors are fine(back seat would come out anyway). As far as ease of gear access, it couldn't be any worse than my old 2 door explorer or my YJ with the roof on.
while cool... the 2 doors are treated by the US gov when imported as trucks. and hence the higher tariffs.
4 doors were cars... lower taxes.
Title fees here are only affected by the sale price(an F550 is the same to title as a Civic if the sales price is the same), and any passenger vehicle(car/pickup/suv/van) costs the same to register so I'm not worried about 20yo tariffs.
The main reason for a 2nd gen is the tailgate(and price), I HATE:mad: lift gates. Plus I'm not too fond of R&P steering on trucks(95 was the last year for a true steering box).
Someone did mention a problem with the passenger side e-brake cable freezing up(said there was a piece of linkage that was the problem but no details), does anyone know about it. My main concern is problem areas of the frame(like the early Taco rust/rot troubles) or ill-designed components.

Toyotero

Explorer
The 3VZE was problematic, but I had an 88 4Runner that hit 235K without a rebuild before it started leaking exhaust gas into the cooling system (which probably actually started at 225K or before).

The 4Runners never have the same frame rust problem as the Tacomas, even the 95+ 4Runners. From what I read, it was an error regarding the anti-corrosion treatment made by Dana who was contracted to manufacture the frames for assembly at NUMMI.

Those two door second gens are kinda cool...

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Don't let the naysayers sway you, the 1990-1992 2-door 4Runners are pretty unique.

You know about the 3VZ-FE gotchas. It wouldn't deter me either. The engine suffers from a lot of Internet folklore. Toyota sold millions of them and there are still millions of them bouncing around with owners oblivious to the fact that their engine is a supposed pile of poo.

Check the ball joints, or probably replace them on principle. I would run it into Toyota, this truck should be included in the relay rod recall, which is the long rod that runs between the tie rods and to which the steering box and idler connect. If it is covered (they had some fractured, so AFAIK all 1989-1995 trucks get new ones, my 1991 pickup did at least), you get a new relay rod and a free alignment. They will check the ball joints and tie rods and probably want you to replace them. The lower ball joints do wear out pretty quick.

The idler arm is probably the weakest link of any on the truck. New ones will wear out with wheeling, the Total Chaos ones are major bucks (but the last one you'll ever buy). Going the route of bronze bushings and a truss is probably the best option for value.

Otherwise not much to look at other standard stuff (wheel bearings, clutch, brakes).

I don't remember if the 2 door 4Runner has a two piece rear driveshaft, but if so the carrier bearing on them generally is worn out when they drove off the lot new. So you might have the DS given the once over. New u-joints are never a bad idea and they'll rebalance it.

This vintage truck still had a mechanical speedometer, so you probably will have a bouncy speed needle. That cable is a pain to replace and not cheap, but really pretty minor.

I'd give the power steering pump a good look, open the cap, smell the fluid. Mine has about 250K miles on it and is starting to leak for real. That will be not much fun. But a fluid R&R a couple of years ago helped tremendously to quiet it and slow the leak.

Last edited:

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
Don't let the naysayers sway you, the 1990-1992 2-door 4Runners are pretty unique.
Toyota sold millions of them and there are still millions of them bouncing around with owners oblivious to the fact that their engine is a supposed pile of poo.
It is rather funny how the internet is rife with tales of the horrid 3.slow, while I see these things running around with the 1/4s and fenders rotted off still being driven daily by people with no mechanical knowledge what so ever. Living only a mile from work I'll not be putting too much mileage on it while I get things sorted out. The real test will be some time next spring as I'm planning a trip to the western Carolinas.
Check the ball joints, or probably replace them on principle. I would run it into Toyota, this truck should be included in the relay rod recall,
If I do a set of BJ spacers(or probably just while I can over winter down time) the ball joints would be done anyway as cheap insurance. This is the first I've heard of the relay rod recall however, so thanks for that.
The idler arm is probably the weakest link of any on the truck. Going the route of bronze bushings and a truss is probably the best option for value.
Any brand you'd recommend? Is the truss bolt or weld on(weld on's not a problem as I got a great welding shop)?
I don't remember if the 2 door 4Runner has a two piece rear driveshaft, but if so the carrier bearing on them generally is worn out when they drove off the lot new.
I'll look into it, but being the same wheel base as a 4door, one would think it's the same shaft. If all else fails my local driveline shop could do a 1 piece for about $300.
the 1990-1992 2-door 4Runners are pretty unique.
I'd love a first gen, but have no need for the pop top nor the rust issues with any that can be found in this area. A clean second gen, with a cushier interior would be hard to beat.

Attachments

• 4d4r7.jpg
    4d4r7.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 34

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
I have a 93 2dr V6 5spd. Great truck, its been reliable and the engine is still strong (320k kms on the ODO). Its surprising how many people do a double take at a 2nd gen 2 door runner. I get lots of thumbs up's.

Getting to stuff in the back really is not that bad, yes having a 4dr would be easier but its easy to make due.

A pic for inspiration.......

032.jpg

Since this picture it has been lowered 2" and has an ARB front bumper and customer rear bumper.

On my trip last week I still got 19.78 MPG on the hwy stretch. So the 3.0 is not as bad as everyone says just live with its weaknesses.

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
Getting to stuff in the back really is not that bad, yes having a 4dr would be easier but its easy to make due.
If I pick it up(gonna check the truck out saturday) the rear seats will be replaced with a "bed" level sleeping platform section. Under that I would mount a compressor and two 10 gallon fresh water tanks. Any tools or recovery gear would go elsewhere. I don't need the back seats or extra doors for passengers as this would be a travel/camping rig for me and maybe +1.
On my trip last week I still got 19.78 MPG on the hwy stretch.
MPG or KPG? That high with 33s is damn impressive.
A pic for inspiration...
A few years ago I would be asking for details on the SAS, but with one over built toy sitting in the driveway('87 YJ/ford5.0/t-18/4:1 t-case/4.10s and more) I want to keep this one simple. I'm too tired and beat up to be fixing stuff in the mud on the side of the trail.
Proper recovery points, 1" of lift, well mannered but grippy 32's and enough gear to camp unsupported a week at a time should do me just fine. I might not even lift it and just squeeze a set of 265/75/16's on.

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
If I pick it up(gonna check the truck out saturday) the rear seats will be replaced with a "bed" level sleeping platform section. Under that I would mount a compressor and two 10 gallon fresh water tanks. Any tools or recovery gear would go elsewhere. I don't need the back seats or extra doors for passengers as this would be a travel/camping rig for me and maybe +1.MPG or KPG? That high with 33s is damn impressive.A few years ago I would be asking for details on the SAS, but with one over built toy sitting in the driveway('87 YJ/ford5.0/t-18/4:1 t-case/4.10s and more) I want to keep this one simple. I'm too tired and beat up to be fixing stuff in the mud on the side of the trail.
Proper recovery points, 1" of lift, well mannered but grippy 32's and enough gear to camp unsupported a week at a time should do me just fine. I might not even lift it and just squeeze a set of 265/75/16's on.

Yeah I look at like this, people say how hard it must be to get stuff out of the back and so on well its quite a bit easier to get stuff out of it than a pick up with a topper.

That was MPG, and yes with the mods and the weight of the truck its fantastic fuel economy. I averaged about 17.5MPG over the whole trip of 15 tanks of gas (3 tanks were on Sand dunes and beaches netting 11-12MPG).

Sounds like your plan will work out well, I do not need the SAS any more its just what I have to work with now.

Last edited:

dlbrunner

Adventurer
I have a 2nd gen. I like it quite a bit. my only complaints are economy (15 mpg in town and wheeling, 18 on the highway if I am lucky), and range..

16.5 gallons at 15 mpg = 250 mile range. no bueno.

bottom end tourque is good on the trail, truck likes to grunt over stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles