common 2nd gen 4runner problems?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I would take a 3rd gen with 200k+ mile over a 2nd gen. with 100k+ miles anyday. My second 3.0 for my 90 was on Toyota and my third was $4400 on me. The 4runner had 185k mile when I sold it.

Once I learned how to distinguish between 2nd and 3rd gen 4runners, I was truly astonished at how many 2nd gens there were still on the road. And most - the vast majority - are DDs, not dedicated 'wheeling rigs. The vast majority of them are also V6s (recognizable because V6s have a V6 badge on the grille.)

Of course, there's no way to know how many have had the head gaskets replaced, but still, there are sure enough of them on the streets to put to rest the notion that the 2nd gen V6 is an unreliable POS.

Regarding life expectancy, here's the thing to consider: There aren't that many people who will actuall drive a vehicle over 100,000 miles, and the number that will drive one vehicle over 200,000 miles are microscopically small. In fact, of all the vehicles I've owned in 30 years, I've only put a hundred grand on one of them, that was a 1990 Montero I bought in 1992 and sold in 1999. I owned that when I was in the Army, driving back and forth between NC and CO, and then when I moved back to CO, at a time when I was doing a LOT of driving, and when gas was historically cheap. And even then, in 7 years I only put 130,000 miles or so on it (~18,500 miles/year.)

My '99 Ranger was close, and for me it wins the 'miles per year' award: I bought it brand new in July of 99 and traded it in April of '03 with a hair over 93,000 miles (~23,000 miles/year.) However, those years of 1999 to 2003 were years when I was driving an unusually large number of miles. It wasn't uncommon for me to go 2,000 or 2,500 miles a month. That was a time when I was in college, in the National Guard and doing other things that caused me to be driving a lot.

Since I finished college, retired from the Guard, and got married, my average annual mileage has dropped off sharply. In fact, right now my average annual miles driven is probably below the national average at around 11,000 miles a year.

So, extrapolate that: I bought my '99 4runner with 117k on the clock. Even if I keep it 5 years (not likely, but possible I suppose), that still only puts me at 172,000 miles. So, even if I knew with absolute certainty that the engine would explode the instant I went over 200,000 miles, I really wouldn't have any concerns about the truck.

What I'm saying is that buying a 2nd gen 4runner with, say, 125k on it, and spending the bucks for the HG fix and maybe fixing a few other minor issues can make sense if you know you're likely to get rid of the truck before the HG fails again. And most of us will, since the HG seems to be a 100k fix.

selk78

one thing i haven't seen is someone post why only the headgasket blows on one side, i've read the the way to fix it is to put headers on the 3.0 because the stock manifold run's too close to the head on the passenger side and heats up the head gasket on that side, and from what i've read it works!
doug thorley headers are 50 states legal, a little costly but it also helps out with horespower and gas mileage, there is also some other little tricks to help out the motor but it also boils down to what you want and can afford.

Last edited:

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
one thing i haven't seen is someone post why only the headgasket blows on one side, i've read the the way to fix it is to put headers on the 3.0 because the stock manifold run's too close to the head on the passenger side and heats up the head gasket on that side
From what I understand, the 1st problem with the gaskets was no more asbestos in the material(like some kids gonna pick at it for a snack) and the second was the design of the crossover pipe putting a lot of heat to the rear of the passenger head.

selk78

the design of the crossover pipe putting a lot of heat to the rear of the passenger head.

thats what i was refering too. the header routes the exhaust down so it doesn't rap around the head and cook the head gasket, it's not a 100% that it won't blow again but it's a big help, a buddy of mine put on headers and put another 80k or so on is truck with no problems.
as soon as i can afford the headers that's the route i'm going, i have 212,xxx on my truck and i'm going to try to keep it running as long as i can, any little thing helps:safari-rig:

oh ya! gen 2 two door 4runner, looks awesome, and it's kind of a rare truck so get it if you can!

Last edited:

BIGGUY

Adventurer

I had a 1990 4Runner with the 3.0 and an auto that I bought used as the 3rd owner. I had the head gaskets changed and a burnt valve fixed and put approx 150,000 miles on it with no problems after that.

I bought a 1990 ex-cab pickup with the 3.0 and 5 speed manual brand new with 13 miles on it after a test drive. I had the head gaskets replaced and drove it for 20 years relatively problem free. I replaced a water pump and did normal tune ups and regular oil changes every 3000 miles. I got rid of it in February of this year with the original engine still in it. It had over 475,000 miles and still ran great. I averaged 19.5 mpg over the time I had it as I kept track of the mileage in a notebook, 4 of them over the years.

I used both of these as DD's, I towed, hauled, and took them off road on everything from dirt roads to trails in Moab. They were used, but not abused.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I think 2nd gen 4runners and 89-95 Hilux pickups (I call them "pre-Tacomas" :D ) have the potential to become very popular, particularly among young kids buying their first 4x4 and/or those who don't mind putting some work into a vehicle (similar to the way the popularity of the 1st gen 4runners took off when they became a favorite of the rock crawler builders.)

The reason I think they'll start becoming popular is because right now there are a lot of them out there and often times they're dirt cheap. 3rd gen 4runners are still pretty pricey unless they're thrashed or have over 200k miles on them, but I've seen 2nd gen 4runners in running, DD condition, going for $1500 - $2000 around here.

motorgroove

My 92 4Runner has 180K on the odo and no major problems yet, it has not had the head gasket recall done either. Great vehicle but mileage around town not so hot, i'm usually in the 13-14 mpg range around town and 17-19 on the hwy add that with a smallish fuel tank and range is only around 250'ish range as pointed out by dlbrunner.

mannytranny

Observer
I picked up a 2nd gen runner ($1200) and yanked out a good running 3.0L and slipped in a 1KZ diesel.

Wish I could have kept the 5 speed, b/c its an auto now. Oh well.

The 4runner itself has about 200k on it. Once the drivetrain is replaced, there isn't much to go wrong. It seems stout.

dms1

Explorer
It is rather funny how the internet is rife with tales of the horrid 3.slow

If you have never driven a third gen 4Runner with a 3.4L, you will never know what your are missing power wise, they are called 3.slow for a reason, no tales here.

My 93 2nd gen ran fine, unfortunately It got rear ended while stopped at a light and was totaled. When I test drove a 3rd Gen with the 3.4L I couldn't beleve the behind the wheel power diffrence.

cerealjoe

Hi AYIAPhoto. I think that we have the same problem. I hope that we can find the common areas that has a fair price for the parts. :D

AYIAPhoto

Adventurer
If you have never driven a third gen 4Runner with a 3.4L, you will never know what your are missing power wise, they are called 3.slow for a reason, no tales here.
I've driven (but never owned) both 3.0 and 3.4 T4Rs, even a 3.4 with the TRD supercharger. I know the 3.0 is slow, but I don't believe all the horror stories of reliability.
I'm sure there are millions of 3.0 owners(T4R & pickup) who view their truck as a mode of transport and nothing else. It is those of us who use trucks for more than daily driving that spend time on forums looking for ways to improve them. That leaves us much more critical of issues possibly caused by harder use. If there were perhaps a forum somewhere populated by pavement pounding stock daily drivers, it may be full of praise for some cars others complain about.

Unfortunately I was going to check the truck out today, but find myself laid up in bed after a fall at work yesterday(ALWAYS use two hands while climbing out of a dump truck).

Castoudt

Hi, obviously late to the party but want to add my experience to the 1993 2nd generation 4runner forums. Original owner, we're almost to 280k...as everybody has mentioned at least a head gasket replacement and a transmission rebuild. Driven it into the ground but kept up on the maintenance. Live in Fairbanks, AK it's been winterized and still pushing strong

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Adventurer
I sold my last 4runner (1993) with over 260k on it and it was running better than ever. My current pickup only has 180k on and going strong also. Who knows if either had the headgaskets done. I've become a 3.slow believer. My original plan for my pickup was to start accumulating parts for a 3.4 swap but the 3vze continues to treat me so well I just can't pull it out of there. Yes the gas mileage isn't the greatest, but 3.4 won't realistically do any better.

Regearing these trucks helps immensely, obviously more so if you're running bigger than stock tires. The 4.10s that are in most of the trucks and 4runners is just way too tall for the poor 3.0 to push. Most of my driving is above 8,000 feet elevation and 5th gear is practically useless on anything but perfectly flat ground with stock gearing. I'm currently running 4.88s and 31s and it's so much better. The next set of tires will be 33s and hopefully it won't kill the power too badly. I've never driven one of these at sea level but I'm sure it's a different story.

I had fj80 springs and BJ spacers on the runner, it was a perfect mild lift/saggy rear setup. BJ spacers and bastard leaf pack on the pickup.

P1020688_zps2a077cea.jpg

NCM_0172_zps1958f0c9.jpg

Last edited:

Arktikos

Explorer
I've driven (but never owned) both 3.0 and 3.4 T4Rs, even a 3.4 with the TRD supercharger. I know the 3.0 is slow, but I don't believe all the horror stories of reliability.
I'm sure there are millions of 3.0 owners(T4R & pickup) who view their truck as a mode of transport and nothing else./QUOTE]

Yes, and many of them (like me) probably don't care how long it takes to get up to 60 MPH, or that they may not be able to reach the speed limit on steep grades.

Wildcat

Adventurer
theres just something disturbing about a school bus out running me off the line.... all while getting better mpg's :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles