Mounting ideas for Vision X Tantrum Rock Lights from Sierra Expeditions?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I bought a set from Sierra Expeditions. I've heard it suggested to mount them using pop rivets but that won't work because of the lack of clearance around the mounting holes.

I'm considering either mounting them to Aluminum plates using a 2 part epoxy then bolting those plates to the rig (a removable setup) or simply epoxying them directly to the rig.

Any ideas?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Picture of choices for mounting locations and lights?

I've used Threadcerts for some things like that; the 1/4" works the best.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Picture of choices for mounting locations and lights?

I've used Threadcerts for some things like that; the 1/4" works the best.

Thanks Bill. I'll post up pics of the intended mounting locations later today but in general it will be onto the side walls of my vehicle frame which is ~2.5wx4.5"tall rectangular tube.

Here's a picture of the entire kit (found these pics online)...

and pics of the light housings
In this first pic, it shows pretty accurate dimensions but the actual units don't have such a rough finish. The actual units are smooth on all sides just like the bottom pic.

sapper

Adventurer
First if they are exposed to the elements at all make sure to really coat the base of them in silicone as well as the wire inputs to each light. If you don't they will collect water and mud at an alarming rate and turn brown and be very dim.

I used very small sheet metal screws when I mounted mine but I used the supplied 3M tape to hold them in place so I could screw them down. I mounted mine on aluminum I would hate to use the provided hardware into steel.

I also deleted the factory control box and soldered everything in, I am using them as interior lights in my canopy.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I guess that mounting ideas would also depend on whether you wanted them to break free and dangle after a potential impact or take the full force and smash.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Mine are mounted along the body mount brackets, outside the frame. most are bolted, but 2 of them are zip tied in a relatively permentant way. Another advantage to mounting them at a 45 degree (ish) angle off of the mounts is that they spread more light outward from the truck, making night wheeling easier.

My setup has one pair forward of the front axle, and one pair rear of the rear axle, with the rest in between. Works well in conjunction with the spot lights on the front bumper, there is not much of a gap in illumination.

I have had excellent luck with mine, and I have one that still works well despite having the housing broken by a rock... probably kicked up on a gravel road... NM trip. They do glow faintly after water crossings. This is an issue I have not attempted to fix, nor do I plan to. When they dry out, they no longer glow.

My control box is mounted under the dash on the driver side. It is located high up, against the firewall so as not to be kicked or get wet.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I guess that mounting ideas would also depend on whether you wanted them to break free and dangle after a potential impact or take the full force and smash.
Bill,

The 1st option is my intension. I do expect some to get hit eventually. I'm considering mounting them with epoxy onto 'off the shelf' L brackets bent to a 45* angle and pop-riveted to the frame.

Mine are mounted along the body mount brackets, outside the frame. most are bolted, but 2 of them are zip tied in a relatively permentant way. Another advantage to mounting them at a 45 degree (ish) angle off of the mounts is that they spread more light outward from the truck, making night wheeling easier.

My setup has one pair forward of the front axle, and one pair rear of the rear axle, with the rest in between. Works well in conjunction with the spot lights on the front bumper, there is not much of a gap in illumination.

I have had excellent luck with mine, and I have one that still works well despite having the housing broken by a rock... probably kicked up on a gravel road... NM trip. They do glow faintly after water crossings. This is an issue I have not attempted to fix, nor do I plan to. When they dry out, they no longer glow.

My control box is mounted under the dash on the driver side. It is located high up, against the firewall so as not to be kicked or get wet.

I'll probably have 2 up front mounted onto a protected area of my bumper, 4, in the middle, and 2 in back and although haven't decided on the exact locations yet, i'm thinking for the ones in the middle I'll mount them on the inside of the frame using the brackets bent to a 45 illuminating the rocks on the opposite side. Not sure yet how well this illuminate things but I'll check that before finalizing the mount up spot. Has anyone had any issues with the wiring distribution box (the black one in the picture) getting wet? We do have water crossings on the trails I'm on and I have been up to the hood for those crossings so I'm concerned I'll end up shorting the box out.:Wow1:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Bill,

The 1st option is my intension. I do expect some to get hit eventually. I'm considering mounting them with epoxy onto 'off the shelf' L brackets bent to a 45* angle and pop-riveted to the frame.
I like the poprivits. I think I'd do that with some double-sided tape and carry zipties for when I bash them.
Mr. Leary's advice about angling them is smart; maybe a little shimming on the inside edge?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94