FWC: Extended Bed Trade-Offs?

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I'm in one of my periodic infatuation phases with FWC. One of the things that caught my eye this time around (I've been interested in them for years) was the 48" extended cabover option.

What (if any) are the tradeoffs on this option, other than $600? Is there any downside to it? Otherwise, it seems like a no-brainer.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
What model are you considering? On the Eagle and Finch the extended cabover option is now standard, so no additional charge.

With the extended cabover you get a 4" thick bed instead of 2".

Only downside I can figure is if you want a small rack or wind fairing on your vehicle. Or if your truck is a regular cab it might look a little odd.

So best I can figure the extended cab is a great thing.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
I'd be looking at a Grandby.

I guess I was just wondering if maybe there were any concerns about rigidity, flex, or anything else. Otherwise, it would seem to be $600 well spent.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
Hello there

The Extended Cabover bed is usually the way to go these days.

I can't see any real disadvantages to getting it.

It is very strong, looks great, and it pushes the cabover bed farther out over the truck cab (so you have less slide out portion in the camper floor area at night). This helps to free up some valuable walking space at night.

Just recently we have started offering most all of our camper models with the "extended cabover bed" as standard equipment now. We are not charging the $ 575.00 any longer. But, on the bigger models we do charge $ 375.00 for additional 16" slide out with the extra cushions. If you are single (just one person in the camper) you won't need the additional 16" slide-out. But if you are a couple (2 people in the upper bed), the additional 16" slide out with the extra cushions make it roomier.

(see sample bed sketch attached at the bottom of this post)

Having so many extended cab and crew cab trucks on the market these days it just makes sense to build all of the campers with a slightly longer cabover portion on the camper.

The only thing I have noticed with having the extended cabover bed is that it can be a little more difficult to push the camper roof up. We have a very simple roof lift system that requires you to push the roof up with your muscle power (no cranks, no gears, no hydraulics, etc.). With the longer nose on the camper, your leverage to push the camper roof up decreases.

But really no big deal for most people and now that we have the gas strut lift assists available it is a non-issue. The gas strut lift assists are simple and seem to be working great.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• extended cabover bed sketch 4.jpg
    extended cabover bed sketch 4.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Ext. Cabover.jpg
    Ext. Cabover.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 83
  • std cabover.jpg
    std cabover.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 73

Forum statistics