Durango Expo Build

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Been creaping on here for a few years, and with my Explorer gone, now have decided to do a build on my 2000 Dodge Durango.

Started off as stock as they come.

Started off with a Westin push bar I picked up for a deal i couldn't resist, FREE!

Next with the issue of clearance I did it the cheap man's way with the classic torsion/shackle lift, giving me almost 2.5" :( (this needs to change soon).

Out of mdf I have built a useful storage system for the back of the truck to hold recovery gear, (me being an EMR) the medic bag, and tools and other **** like that. And the 70 Coleman Cooler on top. (I'm to cheap to fork out over a grand for a Engel or ARB of the same size).

At this point the stock tires were getting a little bald from my brake stands, in an effort to wear them out so I would have an excuse to buy new tires, so an early birthday present for my self was in store. I headed down to the local offroad store and ordered ******** Cepek Mud Country 33x12.5 15's.

Also from adaptitusa.com purchased 1.75" wheel spacers that have yet to even come out of the box.

I'm ready to fab my bumpers up with a buddy of mine that is a j-man welder. Only unfortunate thing is that I have no idea what Grade of steel im looking for and my buddy is on holidays for the next week and I need to get the material for when he gets back.

Obviously the bumpers need to hold up to the abuse of wheeling and recovery, I'm cuntfused as a monkey looking at the steel supply online.

What is the difference between hot or cold pressed steel? Do I want Alloy, Galvanized, Stainless, Cold Rolled or Hot Rolled?

Just for extra information I'm planning to do something very similar to Safari Pacific's Ranger, with the swing out tire carrier rear bumper and simple front.

Thanks,

Guy

rickc

Adventurer
I'll be watching this post with interest. I find it surprising that there are so few aftermarket parts for Ds. The stock suspension sucks BIG TIME - I changed ball joints 3 times on warranty and the fourth time I did it myself using serviceable (zerkel) Moogs. I've also changed the tie rods and the intermediate steering column. Other than this the truck is a great driver - I've had my 99 since 2000 and it's got about 160k km on it now. They have no resale value at all so I've also been thinking about modding mine a little.

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Rick- I agree. It is quite difficult to find any kind of part for D's whether it be aftermarket or OEM. BUT THAT'S WHAT I LOVE ABOUT IT!

Most places I look, I don't find any useful information. I'm also on dakota-durango.com and about the only thing I could really find out from there is about my lift, and even then it seemed I had to pry for it. There are so many things about doing things custom or your own way that intrigue me about building an expo rango.

Many, many plans for this rig, I'll list them.

Dana 44's front and rear
Air Lockers
Custom Bumpers front and rear
Custom roof rack (I want one that will fit the length of the truck but don't know how to mount it on the front portion with no rail to attach to)
RTT
Lighting
Better GPS than my Clarion N.I.C.E. 430 (which isn't bad but horrible offroad)
Hi-Lift Jack
Winch
On board air
Engel fridge
Awning
On board water, with pump
Drawers need to be carpeted
Basically everything that would make this an ideal expo rig

Bumpers and being started next week, just picked up a brand new 600w invertor for 60$. Roof rack should hopefully start next week aswell or as soon as the bumpers are finished. Still dont know if I want to powdercoat the bumpers or Rhinoline them. Will do the same to the roof rack. Drawers will be completely done soon.

Been interested in the Viair on board air systems, mostly because of their prices. Havn't heared either or if they are quick and realible systems, but all in all so far I think that is the route I will take with on board air.

RTT should be by christmas I hope. Don't know quite yet which brand i'm going to choose. Any recommendations are always appreciated.

Otherwise things are just going to happen when they happen. I guess what I mean to say is when the money comes in. Having a 16 month old doesn't help, but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Thanks,

Guy

rango4.jpg
On the way to SASK.

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
Nice Durango ! I love the second pic... with mud on it. :victory:

Here's a bit of reading. From what I understand, the difference is just the fabrication process. I also noticed that some types of steel pieces(?), tubing, sheet metal, etc... aren't available in one type or the other so I just purchase what I need regardless of the rolling process.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_rolled#Hot_rolling

Anyway, I think most people go with regular steel for bumpers, not galvanized or stainless. I hope this helps, it's getting late and I'm having trouble being coherent here lol. :eek:

jgpoirier

Adventurer
J-S- Yes I talked to a few guys at work and they said my best bet is hot or cold rolled, not stainless or galvanized, and if I have the option use hot rolled. I think I'm just going to go down to the metal supplier and let them know what sizes I need and have them inform me of best choices.

I purchased the carpet for my mdf drawers today, so tonight probably tomorrow I will carpet the box. I'll post pictures.

Thanks,

Guy

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Any noticeable changes in handling after the lift?

About the only thing that I noticed that was different was a slightly stiffer ride and I mean slightly. The big difference for me was the tires. You can feel the Rango working to move the tires. But very happy with the outcome.

Guy

jgpoirier

Adventurer
Went to put my 1.8" wheel spacers on today. Had quite some frustrations with finding the proper lug nuts. But after two trips to the local Canadian Tire, I was set. Got the rear passanger side on, looked great. Moved forward and torqued the front passanger side on, looked great. Everything looked fine until I went to do the turn test.

NOT SO GREAT. The rears obviously are okay, but I have made rubbing issues and need to cut more off the fender than I already have. So made the decision to wait for my bodylift to arrive and then put everything on.

Tonight wasn't to great but hey I have photos.

Thanks,

Guy

rango6.JPG

rango7.JPG

rango8.jpg

rango10.jpg

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
Thanks for posting this. I'll need to do that on mine if I want to keep my stock wheels when "upsizing" the tires. Does it look like they're very strong ?

jgpoirier

Adventurer
J-S- They do look and feel quite strong, the only thing I somewhat am worried about is the studs but even they to seem quite strong. I didn't really NEED mine I just WANTED them, plus its nice to have a bit wider stance once a roof rack and RTT are installed. Do you have any recommendations for mounting a roof rack onto a Durango? I can post a few pictures to show the roof of mine. I figure you might have a hint or two as your roof rack came out so nicely. Congrats!

Thanks,

Guy

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
Thanks for the info, I'll look into those probably this winter. :) And thanks for the compliment. :victory:

For the roof rack, the way I mounted mine isn't the right way to do it (I'll be changing that soon :eek: ). The stock bars are way too flimsy to hold all that extra weight. The best way I think, is to take the original roof rack off and mount yours in it's place. I don't know how the Durango rack is mounted though, hard to tell from the pics.

You might need to take the headliner out so you can bolt it through the roof (again, it depends on how your factory rack is mounted). :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior