The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
SMEV Hob

SMEV 3 burner glass top hob, model number 8023US. Link

PI8063.jpg

Key Features

JetFlow
Unparalleled gas burner technology covered by worldwide patents. SMEV's ranges are 30% faster and consume 33% less gas than competitor models while delivering much higher temperatures….up to 480 degrees. JetFlow burners also hold the record for the lowest Co2 and Co emission.

Easier to Clean
Because the cooktop burners are sealed, made of stainless steel, and feature small separate grates, they are very easy to clean. This unit also has a thermocouple safety device on each burner.

This is the SMEV Hob that I bought for the camper while it was still available in North America. I went with 3 burners because sometimes I just need three, and the size seemed like it would work in the camper.

There is a SMEV glass top 2 burner model that is currently available in North America from Panther RV.

Below are noted the reasons I went with the glass top units.

SMEV glass top sink with drainer. Link

VA8306R.jpg

I went with the glass top units for the utility, not for the looks, although the clean look is a good byproduct. With the glass tops I will have a large flat surface to work on when loading film and looking at maps. A chart table of sorts.

The drainer part of the sink will be in the corner of the countertop, while I will be losing countertop space with the drainer design, I feel the drainer will be more useful when cooking, and when not cooking the glass top makes it a moot point.

Last edited:

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
I have almost that same unit. I put the exterior sensor inside the propane storage door. It is nice to be able to see hold cold it is outside and what the coldest it got last night.Jeff
The nerd in me will want a weather station on the camper. Nothing fancy, just a little unit like this.

Link

Overland Hadley

on a journey
This is quoted from another thread.

Nathanael, I know you have been doing a ton of research on this stuff. I have been picking through your thread. I am kind of on the same page with you being picky and starting with close to a shell as well. Anyway, what is your reasoning for going with the aluminum siding? Is it purely cost? Just trying to figure out what advantages there are either way other than cosmetic.

Going to sleep on it and answer it in the morning.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Aluminum V. Fiberglass

Nathanael, I know you have been doing a ton of research on this stuff. I have been picking through your thread. I am kind of on the same page with you being picky and starting with close to a shell as well. Anyway, what is your reasoning for going with the aluminum siding? Is it purely cost? Just trying to figure out what advantages there are either way other than cosmetic.

There are a few reasons I have decided to stay with the aluminum siding, even though I once swore I would never own a camper that looked like it had house siding on it.

Looks: I like the way the glass (Filon) looks when new, but there is a (small) part of me that likes the old school look of the aluminum. My girl pointed out that the smooth sides look cheap, and I can see where she is coming from, especially with plain white glass. If you color matched the camper to the truck then it is a no brainer. But I also think in the long term the aluminum will stay looking nicer, as painted glass scratches easily.

Longevity: I am sure FWC has done it's homework, but I have become skeptical about how long the glass will look good, and looks are the only reason to go with glass. Spider web cracks from flexing. Scratches from tree branches. Minor dings and damage. These things will be very obvious on the glass, but not a problem with aluminum. The aluminum siding can have sections easily replaced, but as best I can tell the glass is a one piece shell, so fixing major damage would be a problem. In the end I know that a ten to twenty year old camper with aluminum siding still looks nice, and I am not convinced that the glass will stay looking as good as it does when new. (Stan please chime in if you have any thoughts on this.)

Cost: (Edit: now listed as a $650 option.)
$400 is not a huge amount, but it is over 5% the cost of a shell and I am pinching every pinney to afford this camper. (Not sure how much having a shop color match would be, but I would guess an extra $500+.) So for myself spending the extra grand just for looks is a big consideration, a thousand dollars buys a lot of gas.

Weight: (Edit: Added weight is 37 pounds on a Hawk.)
Just as with cost, I am watching every pound on this project. Stan says there is not much of a weight difference, but on a Tacoma every extra pound makes a difference. So I would go with the aluminum solely based on a small weight savings.

So those are my thoughts. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point. :)

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
There are a few reasons I have decided to stay with the aluminum siding, even though I once swore I would never own a camper that looked like it had house siding on it.

Looks: I like the way the glass looks when new, but there is a (small) part of me that likes the old school look of the aluminum. My girl pointed out that the smooth sides look cheap, and I can see where she is coming from, especially with plain white glass. If you color matched the camper to the truck then it is a no brainer. But I also think in the long term the aluminum will stay looking nicer, as painted glass scratches easily.

Longevity: I am sure FWC has done it's homework, but I have become skeptical about how long the glass will look good, and looks are the only reason to go with glass. Spider web cracks from flexing. Scratches from tree branches. Minor dings and damage. These things will be very obvious on the glass, but not a problem with aluminum. The aluminum siding can have sections easily replaced, but as best I can tell the glass is a one piece shell, so fixing major damage would be a problem. In the end I know that a ten to twenty year old camper with aluminum siding still looks nice, and I am not convinced that the glass will stay looking as good as it does when new. (Stan please chime in if you have any thoughts on this.)

Cost: $400 is not a huge amount, but it is over 5% the cost of a shell and I am pinching every pinney to afford this camper. (Not sure how much having a shop color match would be, but I would guess an extra $500+.) So for myself spending the extra grand just for looks is a big consideration, a thousand dollars buys a lot of gas.

Weight: Just as with cost, I am watching every pound on this project. Stan says there is not much of a weight difference, but on a Tacoma every extra pound makes a difference. So I would go with the aluminum solely based on a small weight savings.

So those are my thoughts. I reserve the right to change my mind at any point. :)

Great post, thanks for the response on that. I didn't consider the longterm appearance of the composite siding and the unknown is a good point. The older aluminum siding does hold up well for sure. I am with you on both the weight and cost side of the consideration scale too. I guess that's why I begged the question since we kind of have the same objectives. Thanks!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Great post, thanks for the response on that. I didn't consider the longterm appearance of the composite siding and the unknown is a good point. The older aluminum siding does hold up well for sure. I am with you on both the weight and cost side of the consideration scale too. I guess that's why I begged the question since we kind of have the same objectives. Thanks!

Here is an interesting post on Aluminum V. Fiberglass on Travel Lite campers.

Travel Lite also offers a REALLY nice glossy fiberglass exterior wall (not filon crap), but I chose not to order it. The president told me that it would add 100-200 lbs. Any potential future problems would have to be repaired from the inside. The fiberglass sure looked easier to seal up, but the aluminum is lighter, cheaper and should be easier to repair if it needs it.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader

Like anything else, the weight and durability of fiberglass is all in the execution. Going on the assumption that it is built like a standard FWC but with a glass skin instead of aluminum, then all of your concerns are valid, though fixing damage is not that big a deal. Now, if this is thick glass over a 1" thick balsa core, possibly with a kevlar (personally I hate kevlar) outer skin bonded with an epoxy resin that can handle some flexing, you will have a very stout and durable camper.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Like anything else, the weight and durability of fiberglass is all in the execution. Going on the assumption that it is built like a standard FWC but with a glass skin instead of aluminum, then all of your concerns are valid, though fixing damage is not that big a deal. Now, if this is thick glass over a 1" thick balsa core, possibly with a kevlar (personally I hate kevlar) outer skin bonded with an epoxy resin that can handle some flexing, you will have a very stout and durable camper.

From the pictures that I have closely studied, it appears to be a thin skin.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Storage Containers v2

What happens when you read an industrial plastics catalog in the washroom?

You find a better storage solution for you camper!

Quantum Storage Systems QDC

These containers have a lot of things going for them, including the fact that there is very little wasted volume. A textured bottom so they do not slide around. They stack and nest. And they have integrated lids.

Number one reason I like them? They are available in the exact same hight as the benches in the FWC, so I can extend the bench to make a sitting area or even a place to sleep.

Betty Mills looks to be the best place to buy them.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Currently I am using a full size heavy duty shovel, it resides nicely on my roof rack. But with the camper I would like to keep things off the roof, so I am looking for another shovel.

Would going with a Gerber E Tool be to much of a compromise? (I think this shovel is used by the Army?)

Gerber-E-Tool-22-01945-350x350.gif

When I have needed to use the shovel I think an E tool would have been adequate. I am just not sure about not having a full length handle.

I could go with the Equip Combo shovel, but it is bigger than I would like to carry, and twice the cost.

Thoughts, ideas?

I carry three. Last winter was the reason why a full size is always needed. Had to shovel two stuck trucks out of three feet of snow several times over the course of 8 hours. I carry the NATO shovel in my bug out bag, a avalanch shovel in my backcountry gear (ski/winter offroad) and a full size for stated reason. The friend I was with had just the little Army shovel, he was excited to be handed a real shovel in that snow!

I also found out on a trip two days later a Macheti is a great tool for hacking ice when you need to install chains and cant get them close enough. Besides having a 14" blade is sure to impress most woman

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke