The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

dbolton

Observer
Question on your sleep system: back on pg 26 you mention that you will be using a Thermarest Dreamtime XL in lieu of the factory mattress.

I own one of these and think it's a fantastic product. I am also fed up with my stock mattress in my Eagle. However, with it's 77" length, and I can't figure out how to store it on the bed unrolled, unless the bed is pulled out. Have you figured out a work around? Do you plan to roll up the Dreamtime every time you stow the camper? Are you able to "fold over" a portion of the mattress to make it fit?

Seems like dumb questions, but I wanted to make this work but couldn't figure out a good way - would like to see what I haven't thought of. Thanks!

Dan

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Question on your sleep system: back on pg 26 you mention that you will be using a Thermarest Dreamtime XL in lieu of the factory mattress.

I own one of these and think it's a fantastic product. I am also fed up with my stock mattress in my Eagle. However, with it's 77" length, and I can't figure out how to store it on the bed unrolled, unless the bed is pulled out. Have you figured out a work around? Do you plan to roll up the Dreamtime every time you stow the camper? Are you able to "fold over" a portion of the mattress to make it fit?

Seems like dumb questions, but I wanted to make this work but couldn't figure out a good way - would like to see what I haven't thought of. Thanks!

Dan

No dumb questions...

The way I use it now is to just fold it in half during the day. Works fine. If there will be a major elevation change during the days driving I try and remember to open the valve so the air pressure does not unfold it.

I am not going to use the 4'' factory mattress, so the 2'' Therm-a-Rest folded in half will fit, with (hopefully) enough room for the sleeping bag to be stored in the empty area at the end of the folded pad.

The dreamtime is a fantastic product, I sleep as comfortable on it as I do on my pillow-top.

Thanks for the question, glad to be of help.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I have though of a situation where the FlipPac really shines, and that is on a quad cab truck with a short 5' bed. On that platform a FlipPac outshines a small camper.

I was at a dealership today looking at a new Tacoma and noticed what you were referring to about possible dust and water ingress though the composite bed. The back corners near the tail gate have gaps, noticeable ones really. I think that and just the nature of the gaps in a typical tailgate would be problematic with the dust and possibly mosquitoes. The gapping on the tailgate did seem a bit tighter though on my Tundra where mosquitoes could get in through the sides of the tailgate no problem.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I was at a dealership today looking at a new Tacoma and noticed what you were referring to about possible dust and water ingress though the composite bed. The back corners near the tail gate have gaps, noticeable ones really. I think that and just the nature of the gaps in a typical tailgate would be problematic with the dust and possibly mosquitoes. The gapping on the tailgate did seem a bit tighter though on my Tundra where mosquitoes could get in through the sides of the tailgate no problem.

The problem is not at the tailgate, as I have that area sealed with foam. The problem is along the track at the top of the bed, and between the track and the top plate. If the wind is right, or wrong as it is, dust can pour in along the sides.

I also went to great pains to seal between the topper and the truck bed. I went overboard with trying to seal it up and I am afraid of the damage that will occur when I take it off.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Bigger Bird

After spending a few weeks around my taped out dimensions of the Finch and Eagle, I think I will be changing my mind and going with an Eagle.

I did not realize how much extra space the 10'' longer Eagle would provide, but with it taped out on the floor it became obvious that the Eagle would have a lot more room.

The extra space will allow one side to have a bed setup (for stealth camping) that is long enough to be comfortable for me. And the other side of the camper will now have a dinette seat for the table.

Will post the updated interior blueprint soon.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Eagle Interior Blueprint

ebpx.jpg

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have a new cook set. But lets have some fun, can you guess who it is made by?

-the cook set was made in England for a Chicago-based company

-the cook set is an all aluminum design

-this company has outfitted the likes of Charles Lindbergh and Teddy Roosevelt

- once considered "the" outfitter for safari expeditions

The first person to guess wins 1,000 Portal Points!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Cabover Length

After a lot of measuring and drawing lines in the air above my Tacoma, I have decided to get the shorter cabover that FWC offers. (This is the old standard, not extended length cabover.)

I have spent the last couple weeks considering the aerodynamic factors of the camper, as that is the main factor in the decrease in MPG. The extended cabover sits in front of the line of the windshield. Not only does the thickness of the cabover plow into the wind, but it also creates a dam for the air coming up the windshield. On the other hand the shorter cabover sits behind the flow of air coming up the windshield, so the air can move freely off the windshield. The shorter cabover will also allow the use of a wind fairing, for which I have a couple of ideas floating around.

(I will not be using the factory bed mattress, so I will not have the disadvantage of the 2'' thick mattress that comes with the standard cabover versus the 4'' mattress that comes with the extended cabover. If you are going to use the factory mattress I would get the extended cabover.)

I am also going with a Thule rack system, that way on trips when the rack is not needed it can be removed. Keeping things smooth.

pods8

Explorer
Are you relying on a slide out to make a reasonable sided bed still or just going to sleep on the cabover portion? If just the cabover then roll with it if you are okay with the sleeping area size. If you are relying on a slide out I'd potentially reconsider if the extended cabover sized bed gives you the sleeping area you need/want w/o a slide out. Not having something pulled into the camper space is definitely nice from my experience.

By the way as I think about it more are the eagles even wide enough to sleep side by side or are they designed for front to back so you'd have a slide out no matter what? Even if they do minimizing its intrusion into the camper space is nice.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Are you relying on a slide out to make a reasonable sided bed still or just going to sleep on the cabover portion? If just the cabover then roll with it if you are okay with the sleeping area size. If you are relying on a slide out I'd potentially reconsider if the extended cabover sized bed gives you the sleeping area you need/want w/o a slide out. Not having something pulled into the camper space is definitely nice from my experience.

By the way as I think about it more are the eagles even wide enough to sleep side by side or are they designed for front to back so you'd have a slide out no matter what? Even if they do minimizing its intrusion into the camper space is nice.

The Eagle is 69'' wide, so unless you are short of stature you sleep north-south. I am 6'4'' so I will be sleeping north-south with my feet hanging off, not a big deal as I am used to such things.

The bed will slide out into almost half of the camper, so an extra 8'' is not a huge deal. In fact, it will work a little better with the layout of my countertops, and the cabinets along the top will be a little shorter, again working better with my layout.

Keeping a good aerodynamic profile of the camper has become a high priority. And I feel keeping the square cabover behind the wind flow is very important.

But I definitely agree, not having the slide out would be optimal. I guess it will have to wait for my full size (Fuso) build. And that is 10-20 years down the road, at least that is what I am promising.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior