The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
By the way, thanks for posting about the foot pump. That's good food for thought.

I think a pressurized water system is good if you have a hot water system or an outside shower. But other than that, I can not think of why you would want anything other than the Whale foot pump.

By the way, my hot water system will be pouring a pot of hot water back into the water tank. Presto, hot (okay, warm) water at the tap.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Paired with the Ragasco fiberglass propane tank. (Featured in the Summer 2009 Overland Journal)
lpgastanks.com Link (OJ readers get 10% off, as of 2009)

The tank weighs 7.5 pounds empty and will be stored at the bottom front of the camper, keeping the weight of the fuel low and forward on the rig.

Received the Ragasco propane tank today.
Looks great. The wide base makes it sit stable. I ordered the larger 17 tank, and it is very close in size to the Wedco that it will sit next to.

ragasco.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Cabinetry

Ready for some cabinetry work.

½ Baltic Birch

balticbirch.jpg

At 1.7 pounds per square foot, it's not too heavy.
And I have some weight saving design plans, think Sönke's camper interior. :chef:

This is a winter project, something to putter on during long winter evenings.

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I think there are some horizontal ones out there, but likely for forklifts, etc. I think Carlyle had a set-up that had the correct valving for camper use, as well as the forklift fittings, iirc, but his is not a composite tank. (need to check that - this one might help : http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=131782&postcount=19 )

We'll probably go with a smaller diameter tank, as it will be mounted outside, near the rear door. (i.e.: this one is 9.7" OD http://www.propaneproducts.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=384 )

I want to use Baltic Birch as well and seeing that photo reminded me that a lot of German set-ups use "road case" or "flight case" construction (you know, those cases that roadies use for band equipment). That might be something to look into for the interior as it is not overly complex, there are a number of places that sell the parts (extrusions, corners, etc.), and it might work for the inside/outside kitchen idea.

just thinking... :)

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
We'll probably go with a smaller diameter tank, as it will be mounted outside, near the rear door. (i.e.: this one is 9.7" OD http://www.propaneproducts.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=384 )

Interesting, I had not found another place that is making composite propane tanks. I like the 10 lb skinny and tall tank.
Comparing the 20 lb size, I like the design of the Ragasco tank better, and it weighs a couple pounds less.

If you want a really skinny and tall tank (6" OD) check this aluminum one out. Link

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Thanks for the link. Wow ! 6.26" OD - that is skinny ! Too bad it's not composite, too ;)

Like that 10# tank, too. Not sure that we'll go with that one posted in the link - just that for us it'll need to be something similar - and 10# size might work well for us... Really like being able to see how much remains in the tank - that's a great feature.

Have links for the case building somewhere on my other computer and can try to post later, if there's interest.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Drew up a cut list for the cabinetry.

Looks like with some weight saving measures I should be at about 30 pounds of birch. That's keeping it light!

Prybry

Adventurer
Use the sun to heat water for shower...

I think a pressurized water system is good if you have a hot water system or an outside shower. But other than that, I can not think of why you would want anything other than the Whale foot pump.

By the way, my hot water system will be pouring a pot of hot water back into the water tank. Presto, hot (okay, warm) water at the tap.

I take one of my blue water jugs and place it on the sunny side of the truck... by late afternoon when you want (need) a shower the water is at a nice warm temp.... perfect shower temp.

After having the convenience of a pressurized water tap at the back of the camper, for washing dishes, filling camp coffee pots, and hand washing after using the porti-john (in the outside encloser) I would never give it up.
The pump takes up so little room and is so inexpensive, yeah it draws a little power but not so much your battery bank would notice.

The foot pump would be fine at point of use no doubt... but having water at other points such as outside, I'd question the application. I suppose gravity is also an option. Get to camp and throw the jug up on the roof... pressure for free:REExeSwimmingHL:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I take one of my blue water jugs and place it on the sunny side of the truck... by late afternoon when you want (need) a shower the water is at a nice warm temp.... perfect shower temp.

I have a Zodi shower. Most likly it will make it onto the camper.

After having the convenience of a pressurized water tap at the back of the camper, for washing dishes, filling camp coffee pots, and hand washing after using the porti-john (in the outside encloser) I would never give it up.
The pump takes up so little room and is so inexpensive, yeah it draws a little power but not so much your battery bank would notice.

(On my camper) What battery bank? :ylsmoke:

The foot pump would be fine at point of use no doubt... but having water at other points such as outside, I'd question the application. I suppose gravity is also an option. Get to camp and throw the jug up on the roof... pressure for free:REExeSwimmingHL:

An outside water tap would be nice. But after all these years of pouring water out of a water bottle, I am fine with that for now. At some point in the future I could certainly see wanting a pressurized outside water tap. But that will need to wait for a full sized rig.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Underside Insulation

Just wanted to pull this post from Northern Explorer's thread to show how to insulate the lower part of the camper.

While the upper part of a FWC is aluminum framed and insulated, the lower part is wood and uninsulated.
Of course heat rises, and there is not much R value to the pop top. But it might be something worth doing.

I did the entire bottom and sides with 1/2" rigid foam. Make sure you purchase the correct adhesive. First picture was taken before it was completed.
IMGP0032.jpg
IMGP0033.jpg

Jeff

[quote name='ntsqd' date='22 October 2010 - 11:45 AM' timestamp='1287765911' post='42269']
Another possible source?
http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1a;ft1_tekfoil_reflective_foil_insulation.html
[/quote]

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Battery Bank, or Lack There Of.

I just joked about this in a previous post, but I have concluded that I will not have a battery bank in the camper.

The GVWR is so limiting on the Tacoma, and I am at a disadvantage with the amount of heavy camera gear that I travel with. At this point I can not see that it is worth the cost of 40-70 pounds for a battery.

I do not need a battery for the heater, or for the water pump. That leaves the camper lights and the laptop.

As far as the camper lights go there is no good solution. I will have them hooked up to the truck battery for limited LED use. And I will come up with some other stand alone lighting.

For charging the laptop, I think I will go with an external battery and a DC/DC charging system from HyperMac. (Although, as I went to get the link for HyperMac I noticed that they are ceasing to make the external battery system in a couple of weeks, licensing agreement stuff. So I might end up just charging the laptop while I drive via the inverter.)

Last edited:

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Road Cases

Better late than . . . ;)

These are some links I found, especially the first one, where you can learn to make this type of case. The last link is apparently the source for many places that sell road case parts. If anyone has experience with this method of interior build-out, it would be great to hear about it.

http://www.do-it-yourselfroadcases.com/home.html

http://www.cnsenterprises.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=9

http://www.penn-elcom.com/Default.asp?MC=1100000&GC=Group

There must be a whole lot more out there, but this is a start...

Sure, links are always good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles