Thread: The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Quote Originally Posted by eugene View Post
    To get more storage why not get a longer model camper that hangs out on the tailgate?
    I like the Finch because I can use the tailgate as a back porch.

Also I want to have the option of using my hitch mounted bike rack, and at some point I would like to get a swing out back bumper. And while I want form to follow function, I do not like the look of a camper hanging off the back.

So it is something I have considered, (I have a list of pros and cons) but I think a camper that is truck bed length is best for me.
    Last edited by Overland Hadley; 08-07-2010 at 02:37 AM.
    Tacoma - For Extended Overland Travels
    Four Wheel Camper - The TARDIS

Trip Reports - Travels with Hadley

-Nathanael
    Large Format Photography
    www.KuenzliPhotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by epaddler View Post
    Overland, I'm glad you began this thread, because after trying a sleeping platform inside a truck cap last summer, I've decided I want to upgrade to a 2005 or so Tacoma access cab and a 4Wheel Eagle in back.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by epaddler View Post
    I have been curious why people are choosing to go the shell route and build their own interior. As I look at the design of the completed Eagle campers, I think I would have a tough time doing better with the space. From taking several Oregon coast trips with a popup in the back of an old Nissan years ago, I really enjoyed the stove, sink and fridge options, and I don't think I could improve on their placement. You mentioned stealth camping. I assume you are talking about pulling over at rest areas, motel parking lots, etc., with the top remaining down where you can get a couple hours of shuteye where it isn't exactly legal. Can you not do that with the couch-bed setup in the finished Eagle?
    I guess it is part personal preference and part the need for storage space. Northern Explorer has talked to me about the lack of storage in his camper, and I feel that a shell will offer better storage for the way I travel.

And I have to say that I was not interested in a FWC until I found out that I could order just a shell. The factory interior just does not do it for me, not totally sure why. I am working on a small lightweight sink/counter top. I do not need a fridge. I like to have a stove that I can use outside, as nothing makes a camper hotter than a pot of boiling pasta. Additionally the shell is lighter weight, and on a small truck it is all about weight.

The roll over couch does look comfy, and I like the way it converts into a bed. Just not sure if it is what I want in my camper.

Cost also plays a big part, the shell model costs $4,300 less than the regular model.
    Last edited by Overland Hadley; 08-07-2010 at 02:44 AM.

-Nathanael
    Large Format Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Overland Hadley View Post
    I like the Finch because I can use the tailgate as a back porch.

Also I want to have the option of using my hitch mounted bike rack, and at some point I would like to get a swing out back bumper. And while I want form to follow function, I do not like the look of a camper hanging off the back.

So it is something I have considered, (I have a list of pros and cons) but I think a camper that is truck bed length is best for me.
    I'm looking at doing something like that too. I have a 2" square tube my father gave me from his scrap pile so I'm thinking one of the 1&1/4" bike racks could fit inside it using it like a hitch extension. I made and bolted on a small step but thought about getting/making one of those hitch mounted cargo carriers then I could toss all the camp chairs and such there under the tailgate.
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado ECSB z71
    1982 Palomino Bronco 186

Quote Originally Posted by eugene View Post
    I'm looking at doing something like that too. I have a 2" square tube my father gave me from his scrap pile so I'm thinking one of the 1&1/4" bike racks could fit inside it using it like a hitch extension. I made and bolted on a small step but thought about getting/making one of those hitch mounted cargo carriers then I could toss all the camp chairs and such there under the tailgate.
    Here is my Thule hitch mounted bike rack. It might sit far enough out to work with an Eagle on a Gen 2 Tacoma. But I would need to do some measurements.

It has been a few years since I have made a trip with the bikes, but I would like to keep my options open.

-Nathanael
    Large Format Photography

I'm talking about something like this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Hitch-80305-Receiver-Extension/dp/B000CO8RVS"]Amazon.com: Hidden Hitch 80305 Receiver Extension: Automotive[/ame]

so when the tailgate is down you put in an ~18" extension then your thule bike rack
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado ECSB z71
    1982 Palomino Bronco 186

Lightbulb Outside Wall Steps

I would like to have steps not only on the rear wall, but also a couple on the sides. (A rig over on Wander the West has steps on the side walls, makes sense to me.) This would make it easier to access a cargo box and also make strapping boats down easier.

This is what I have found, they are mast steps for use on a sailboat, and are made from a composite material. I like the way they lock closed when folded, and they look like they will make a nice handhold or place to hang something from.

The only thing I do not like about them is that you can't rotate your foot from one side to the other while standing on them. But I think it is an okay trade off.

Thoughts, ideas?

www.maststep.com

Last edited by Overland Hadley; 05-28-2011 at 02:15 PM.

-Nathanael
    Large Format Photography

Thoughts, ideas?
    Those are slick! I really like how they close, no chance of 'flopping' open by accident, or from some brush/branches.

Thanks.

I am working on a small lightweight sink/counter top. I do not need a fridge. I like to have a stove that I can use outside...

I have been looking at both the Flip Pac and the FWC, as I recently sold my rig, and going to build up a new adventure truck. Kinda leaning towards the FWC, since I do backcountry skiing. I found a wrecked late model Tacoma. The rear has been smashed, perfect candidate for a flat bed/camper. Flat bed would have tool boxes with either a FWC, or a Flip Pac bolted to the top of the tool boxes.

Thinking of doing a small collapsible table that hinges to the side of the inner camper wall, keep it folded up whole hauling gear. Deployed while in camp mode. I do currently have two 24X48" portable tables that work great for cooking on outside the vehicle. Small enough to fit across the front of the bed of the truck, they take up very little room when stowed. I bought them at ACE.

Last edited by RR1; 08-10-2010 at 05:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RR1 View Post
    The rear has been smashed, perfect candidate for a flat bed/camper. Flat bed would have tool boxes with either a FWC, or a Flip Pac bolted to the top of the tool boxes.
    FWC makes flat bed models for the overseas market. Best way to go in my opinion. Talk to Stan at FWC, and be sure to keep us up to date if you build a flat bed FWC!

-Nathanael
    Large Format Photography

That's a very good point !
    The photo I saw of a flatbed version (in Oz) had the door on the side, also.

FWC makes flat bed models for the overseas market. Best way to go in my opinion. Talk to Stan at FWC, and be sure to keep us up to date if you build a flat bed FWC!
    Cheers,
    Frank

"airsotts-narf"

Save a Life, Adopt !

Redline wrote: "no ring, no bling, bada-bing" ( http://roadtraveler.net/goodbye-bling-rings/ )
    2013 LivinLite Camplite 16DBS

Page 2 of 162 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast