Thread: The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Overland Hadley View Post
    FWC makes flat bed models for the overseas market. Best way to go in my opinion. Talk to Stan at FWC, and be sure to keep us up to date if you build a flat bed FWC!
    Would be nice to get a popup version of this, would be perfect.

    http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=28099



    or this would be even better. I might have to build my own.


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    54
    Will you be able to close or remove your tailgate while the camper is attached? In the open position, you can not access the mechanism to raise and lower the spare tire. You can probably make something with a swivel in it to get around this, but should be aware of it before you find out the hard way.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    19
    Just don't go camping where there are bugs... Mosquito's would kill you in that thing.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by joelweb View Post
    Just don't go camping where there are bugs... Mosquito's would kill you in that thing.
    That is why they make screens.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    573
    Quote Originally Posted by tnt View Post
    Will you be able to close or remove your tailgate while the camper is attached? In the open position, you can not access the mechanism to raise and lower the spare tire. You can probably make something with a swivel in it to get around this, but should be aware of it before you find out the hard way.
    Where is the spare winch crank if the camper blocks it, mine is in the bumper. Two of the three sections of the handle work it when the tailgate it up but if the gate is down you add the third to get the handle out past the tailgate.
    2004 Chevrolet Silverado ECSB z71
    1982 Palomino Bronco 186

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by RR1 View Post
    That is why they make screens.
    Fair enough, but given the mounting placement of the gas struts, it doesn't look easy to mount screens over the big side wing openings. They would most likely have to be on the little sliding windows. I'm sure you could put something up, but that thing wouldn't be as practical as it looks for camping in my country. Head to a dryer place and I'm sure it would be great...

  7. #27
    kcowyo's Avatar
    kcowyo is offline Expedition Portal Moderator ExPo Original
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lander, Wyoming
    Posts
    5,199
    Quote Originally Posted by tnt View Post
    Will you be able to close or remove your tailgate while the camper is attached? In the open position, you can not access the mechanism to raise and lower the spare tire. You can probably make something with a swivel in it to get around this, but should be aware of it before you find out the hard way.

    Good point. Don't know about the new body-style Tacomas like Overland Hadley's, but I wouldn't be able to access the hole to thread the crank through to drop the spare tire, if I left my tailgate on and in the 'open position'...

    I couldn't remove the tailgate without raising the rear of the camper several inches. It's been a long time since I've had my tailgate on, but IIRC, I think I need about a 45* angle to install or remove the tailgate. Not much of an issue I guess if you have the jack stands attached to the camper full-time, but if one doesn't travel with their jackstands attached (like me), this could be a small problem if you have a flat and need your spare tire.

    I do like the idea of leaving the tailgate on & down (can't close mine with the camper on) as a platform to carry water and/or gas cans outside of the camper, rather than hanging them off the rear wall or stored up on the roof. I've struggled for years with a solution for carrying an extra fuel can with a FWC. I've taken to storing it inside the camper but I don't really like doing it. That said, I've yet to have an issue or any leaks with the Scepter fuel can stored inside while bouncing around on rough trails in places like Death Valley and the Maze in Utah.



    .
    '97 Toyota T100 - some stuff and some stories....
    '89 Toyota FJ62 - fractal cruising

    currently listening to - Michael Kiwanuka "Home Again"
    recommended reading - Dead Run by Dan Schultz

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    North of Superior
    Posts
    4,960
    The tailgate can be closed with the Finch and a Gen 2 Tacoma.

    (The tailgate will be closed while traveling.)
    Tacoma - For Extended Overland Travels
    Four Wheel Camper - The TARDIS

    Trip Reports - Travels with Hadley


    -Nathanael
    Large Format Photography
    www.KuenzliPhotography.com

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by joelweb View Post
    Fair enough, but given the mounting placement of the gas struts, it doesn't look easy to mount screens over the big side wing openings. They would most likely have to be on the little sliding windows. I'm sure you could put something up, but that thing wouldn't be as practical as it looks for camping in my country. Head to a dryer place and I'm sure it would be great...
    I like the big doors to get gear in and out, most likely only screen the back opening. Wouldn't sleep with the side doors open anyway.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    North of Superior
    Posts
    4,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Overland Hadley View Post
    The tailgate can be closed with the Finch and a Gen 2 Tacoma.

    (The tailgate will be closed while traveling.)
    I have a photo of the tailgate closed at home, will post it up when I get back. If I remember correctly there is very little clearance, less than 1/4".
    Tacoma - For Extended Overland Travels
    Four Wheel Camper - The TARDIS

    Trip Reports - Travels with Hadley


    -Nathanael
    Large Format Photography
    www.KuenzliPhotography.com

Page 3 of 161 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •