The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

waynemaple

Observer
I think if you order the furnace package it comes with a CO and smoke detector. It is also a forced air unit with electric fan and thermo, already vented. With the shell model the cabinet is only about 14inches or so high, or my info could be wrong. But with that addition it should not weigh that much, maybe 50 lbs. I've been planning my Finch build for about 4 months and this is very helpful. Any thoughts on removable dinning area? Sink, stove and such that can be placed outside of camper. I've been looking at a VW/ Westfalia setup that is very light.

mtndog

I'll chime in, I have a Finch shell with factory heater, in fact, the silver taco pics in the original post is mine from the day I brought it home. After nearly 3 years use, I have never used the heater, but I do run an extension hose from propane tank to my stove outside the camper. If I ordered again, I wouldn't order the heater. I would use a little buddy if needed and carry a small 4lb or 11lb propane tank for my cooking and shower duties. In addition, if you run the heater, you will need to design/install enough battery power to run the fan however long you have it on. YMMV.
By the way, a Finch shell with full propane tank is 525lbs.

chief5

One thing about the Mr. Buddy heaters (and any other that have a low oxygen sensor) they will not operate at above 7500 ft. altitude. Took one to Colorado to ELK hunt, camped at 9,000 ft and froze my @$^ off.

The factory furnace is worth it if you plan on using it at high altitude.

Good luck, Lorn

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
One thing about the Mr. Buddy heaters (and any other that have a low oxygen sensor) they will not operate at above 7500 ft.
Lorn

Hmmm, didn't think about that.

I was going to second the idea of a Mr. Buddy heater.

I have the 'Big Buddy' and love it, it's actually overkill for my RTT, but does great in a pick up w/topper.

I believe the Big Buddy is suited for 400 SqFt.

I haven't used mine at high elevations yet, so this is good to know.

I have used a buddy heater @ 4500' no problems. Worked great in the back of my truck shell not sure above that altitude. You can purchase adaptors to hook up a buddie heater to differant sizes of bottles just be sure to purchase a filter that connects between the buddie heater and fuel feed line.

specjoe

I think if you order the furnace package it comes with a CO and smoke detector. It is also a forced air unit with electric fan and thermo, already vented. With the shell model the cabinet is only about 14inches or so high, or my info could be wrong. But with that addition it should not weigh that much, maybe 50 lbs. I've been planning my Finch build for about 4 months and this is very helpful. Any thoughts on removable dinning area? Sink, stove and such that can be placed outside of camper. I've been looking at a VW/ Westfalia setup that is very light.

Gosh! Seems like there are quite a few of us looking at ordering a Finch shell soon! I'll probably order mine later this week or early next week and was going to go with just the factory furnace and 60" yakima tracks options (been on the fence on whether to get the screen door) - now I'm questioning the factory furnace!

Thanks Overland Hadley for the thread and mtndog for getting us all geeked about a Finch on our 2005+ Tacos!

-joe D.

My vote would be yes for the furnace. If you are going to camp in early spring or late fall you will really like it. Especially where you live. I have a Mr. Buddy and have used it with my old Fleetwood Neon. It's a nice heater but my biggest complaint is that it doesn't have a thermostat. You will be either cooking or freezing. Although I have never read a single report (I've searched) about any deaths related to a catalitic heaters, it has always made me a little nervous. I like the fact that my forced air furnace is vented. As mentioned you will have to have enough battery power to run it. The new furnace that FWC is using uses less amps then the one I have.

You could always make up your mind later and put one in yourself.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
My vote would be yes for the furnace....

As mentioned you will have to have enough battery power to run it.

You could always make up your mind later and put one in yourself.

I want to have very minimal battery in my camper. Just enough to run a laptop.

And a heater that needs battery power is not ideal, as batteries do not do that well in cold weather.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Any thoughts on removable dinning area? Sink, stove and such that can be placed outside of camper. I've been looking at a VW/ Westfalia setup that is very light.

Working on it.

I have a portable stove as I like to cook outside as much as possible. And I have a very nice sink that I will be installing in the camper, will make a post about it soon.

Do you have a link to the Westy setup?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I'll chime in, I have a Finch shell with factory heater, in fact, the silver taco pics in the original post is mine from the day I brought it home. After nearly 3 years use, I have never used the heater, but I do run an extension hose from propane tank to my stove outside the camper. If I ordered again, I wouldn't order the heater. I would use a little buddy if needed and carry a small 4lb or 11lb propane tank for my cooking and shower duties. In addition, if you run the heater, you will need to design/install enough battery power to run the fan however long you have it on. YMMV.
By the way, a Finch shell with full propane tank is 525lbs.

mtndog,

Thank you for the information. Good to know the exact weight. And thank you for being one of the first to put a Finch on a Gen 2 Tacoma.

Any first hand advice for those of us wanting to put a Finch on our Tacoma? Do you still have the tailgate on?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Here is an option for you. The only thing I know about them is what's stated on their web site.

Catalitic
Vented
Low amp draw
Thermostate

All looks good but I can't find the price. Platinum Cat heaters

Looks promising. Got it bookmarked and will do further research on it. Thanks!

Edit: Emailed them to get pricing information. I will update this post when I get a price quote.

Price is $450 plus shipping.

Last edited:

mtndog

mtndog,

Thank you for the information. Good to know the exact weight. And thank you for being one of the first to put a Finch on a Gen 2 Tacoma.

Any first hand advice for those of us wanting to put a Finch on our Tacoma? Do you still have the tailgate on?

I removed the tailgate after my first trip. It is too hard to exit, you really need to step down out of the door to exit comfortably. I fab'd up a dual-swing gate in place of the tailgate....it holds extra gas, water, hi-jack, and tools in an ammo can.
smallcammagruder_lolo092Large.jpg

smallcammagruder_lolo079Large.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles