The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

slooowr6

Explorer
I removed the tailgate after my first trip. It is too hard to exit, you really need to step down out of the door to exit comfortably. I fab'd up a dual-swing gate in place of the tailgate....it holds extra gas, water, hi-jack, and tools in an ammo can.
smallcammagruder_lolo092Large.jpg

smallcammagruder_lolo079Large.jpg

[hijack]
That's a very nice setup on the rear. Exactly what I wanted. Too bad I've no fab skill at all. :drool:
[/hijack]

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I removed the tailgate after my first trip. It is too hard to exit, you really need to step down out of the door to exit comfortably. I fab'd up a dual-swing gate in place of the tailgate....it holds extra gas, water, hi-jack, and tools in an ammo can.

If I remember correctly the door is about 44" tall. It will be hard to get in and out with the tailgate in place.

The swing out tailgate is a great idea. Do you have some photos showing how it is mounted to the truck?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
One more reason to remove the tailgate. My tailgate weights in at 47 pounds. That's 47 pounds of extra gear you can take.

Hmmmm. Never thought of that. 47 pounds eh? 47 pounds removed from behind the rear axel. Interesting.

I have thought about removing the trailer hitch to save weight. But removing the trailer hitch from a truck sounds like a dumb idea.

waynemaple

Observer
MTN very functional "Barn doors" on truck/camper.
HADLEY:
I have a portable stove as I like to cook outside as much as possible. And I have a very nice sink that I will be installing in the camper, will make a post about it soon.

Do you have a link to the Westy setup?[/QUOTE]

Searching for a good pic... Maybe just part out one of the westy units... as they are very compact/light. and fit it to a folding table unit. Can you run a coleman propane burner inside the camper? My finch is going to be our Skijoring base in the winter(2 sled dogs and 2 people) so space is limited any thoughts on extra sleeping bed area around couch level?thx

waynemaple

Observer
Not unless we make it! You can order the sink and fabricate the rest or pay the shipping cost. Maybe a question the van folks can answer? I was using the pic for reference mostly. The unit is self contained and light when empty with two handles it is easy to move. Would easily fit under a canopy outside the FWC.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Not unless we make it! You can order the sink and fabricate the rest or pay the shipping cost. Maybe a question the van folks can answer? I was using the pic for reference mostly. The unit is self contained and light when empty with two handles it is easy to move. Would easily fit under a canopy outside the FWC.

I looked through GoWesty and could not find anything similar.

It looks like a great little unit, granted the cost is quite high for a kitchen setup.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I could put a wood stove in the camper.

attachment.php

A schooner I sailed had one, it worked okay, but we made sure to cook a lot on cold nights.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I could put a wood stove in the camper.

Yeah, and you could burn your banjo too if it got really cold... what kind of hillbilly crap is that?

No heat shield underneath, so the counter top will likely deform sooner or later and how much wasted counter space will the emitting heat cause? Plus there is a furnace vent mounted to the cabinet face just under it...? Looks to me like it was one of those cute custom ideas the owner had in the planning stage that should have been left on the drawing board...

:smilies27

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Yeah, and you could burn your banjo too if it got really cold... what kind of hillbilly crap is that?

No heat shield underneath, so the counter top will likely deform sooner or later and how much wasted counter space will the emitting heat cause? Plus there is a furnace vent mounted to the cabinet face just under it...? Looks to me like it was one of those cute custom ideas the owner had in the planning stage that should have been left on the drawing board...

:smilies27

The banjo kept us warm for many nights....

I have never seen one mounted on a counter top. They are meant to be mounted on the wall.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Water Tank

Here is the water tank I will be using. It will keep the 100 pounds (11-tank, 89-water) stored low and forward in the truck.

Front Runner Footwell Water Tank (Link)
1922.jpg

Water will be used in the camper via a couple smaller water bladders. I have used the Dromedary water bladders made by MSR for a few years now. From canoe trips, to Death Valley, to the high mountains they have worked very good and have never leaked. MSR Link

I know it will not be as convenient as a big water tank in the camper, but I feel the trade off of added storage space and better weight distribution is best for my camper setup.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles