The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Some good ideas guys.

Not sure if I am going to go as basic as cardboard, it did give me a good laugh though. Always good to remember the simple solutions.

I am interested in the corrugated plastic but am having a hard time finding the good stuff at a reasonable price when shipped. I would like to use a material that will not compress under the weight of kneeling on it. Any body know of a good source? I think a corrugated sandwich with a Reflectix core would work good.

Here is another marine solution. HyperVent

I have used the same product, without the backing, in building energy efficient homes. It is good stuff, I think it would work great in a boat bunk. Just not sure it is my ideal solution for the FWC.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Bed Slat System

Also still considering the Neptune Slat System.

Afbeelding%20008.jpg

It is just a basic wood slat bed support, with some fancy little connections that allow it to be rolled or folded.

I especially like the adjustable headrest.

1.jpg

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
On this last trip to Montana I had one jerry can (with 20L of fuel) mounted on the rear jerry can holder. It was there the whole time, as the extra five gallons gave me the range that I wanted for the areas that I was exploring. This meant that I had the full weight on during the slightly grueling two day trip out and back on a rough (4Lo) Forest Service road. So the mounting brackets were properly tested.

They stayed solid. (Thankfully)

All the same, I wanted to take them off and check the mounting beams and make sure everything looked okay. So I removed the AT brackets and looked everything over. It all looked good and I saw no stress points. So I remounted them and feel confident they are up to the job.

I will keep you updated if there is ever a failure.

Thanks to Ted/Magellan over on WTW for this idea.

gallery_2_113_38123.jpg

Here is the write up on the rear mounted jerry can holder. Link

And the Adventure Trailers aluminum jerry can holder. Link (This thing is great, very impressed with this item.)

261925315_eRxEG-M.jpg

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Overland,

Ill be camping over the Thanksgiving Holiday back home on the central coast. Going to try the Home Depot aluminum bubble insulation under the bed to see how that does with condensation. Let you know how it goes. I think the next best/cheapest option would be that plastic cardboard. I would figure you could find it at a crafts store.

The clothes line looks great! I like. Will defiantly be stealing that one. :ylsmoke:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
^^ Yup, sign shop. Although I think a double walled polycarbonate panel should have more crush resistance than the typical coroplast sheet. Either way a tile size would be cheaper to ship.

Shipping is brutal.

Bad part of living in the middle of nowhere, everything needs to be shipped, unless I take a day to go to the cities. And I try to avoid that.

btw what’s the skinny on the plastic drive on truck levellers I’m seeing now vs the old school squares of plywood that I’m still using? Is it the weight savings, rot resistance, day glo feature or …?

All three! Plus they fit together so they create a solid stack, which is nice for a jack base.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
AT Awning

This looks to be a promising candidate for an awning.

Closer. I just tested another pre-production unit last week. It is a nice size: 92" wide x 188" long. There are a few changes still to be be made. It is anticipated to become available in the Spring as it will be sewn in Asia by NEMO and the lead time can be a a few months for overseas mfg. The final design will be compatible with the Habitat zipper attachments well as have webbing loops to attach to a conventional roof rack.
View attachment 131943
View attachment 131944
View attachment 131945
View attachment 131946

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I went through and got caught up on editing informational posts into post #1 of this thread. At 1000+ posts I am trying to keep the main information handy.

Please feel free to ask questions. If you do not want to wait for my reply take a look at these links to see if there is info that can help.

Want just the facts, and none of the chat? See links at the bottom of this post.

Interior Measurements - Lighting - Step - Storage and Furniture - Outside Wall Steps - Heater - Heater v2 - Water Tank - Stereo System - Roof Lifter Gas Springs - Teak Floor - Interior Blueprint - Water Pump - Cabinetry - Underside Insulation - Battery Bank, or Lack There Of - Trash Can - Rear Mounted Jerry Can - Water Tanks v2 - Shower - Lighting, Part II - SMEV sink - Lagun Table - Outside Light - Cabover Storage - Froli Sleep Systems - SMEV Hob - Weather Station - Aluminum V. Fiberglass - Storage Containers v2 - FWC V. FlipPac - Bigger Bird - Eagle Interior Blueprint - Cabover Length - Toilet System - Galley Faucet - Lift Panel Storage - Exterior Trash Storage - Flooring v2 - Exterior Camper Lights - Grey Water Bucket - 360 of the FWC shell model interior - Water Filter - Lightweight Load Bars -

FWC Purchased - Fuel Economy - Tacoma (Gen2) Suspension - Weight - Options List

Blue Performance cabin bags - Door Handrail - 120v Power (Gen2 Tacoma) - Fantastic Fan - Hitch Step - Interior Dome Light - Tung Oil - Rear Bike Rack - Under Cabinet Motion Sensor LEDs - Vinyl Lettering - Christened - Aluminum Yakima Bars - Water Tank - Heater Mount - Fabric Treatment - Interior LED's - GoLight - USB Outlet - Master 12v Switch - Rear Flood Lights - Chart Table Light - Propane Regulator - Electrical Panel - 12v Power - Door Holder - Door Awning - Paper Towel Holders - L Track - FWC v ATC - New Stereo - Propane Systems - Under Mattress Air Circulation System - Bed Slat System - Clothes Line - AT Awning -

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Cab-Over Chart Light

I have been searching for some kind of small light to have at the front of the cabover area.

I wish I had thought of having the camper wired for a couple of lights on the ceiling at the very front of the camper. Not sure if the factory would have done this, as I have not seen a FWC with lights up there, but I do not see why not. As it is, there is no way that I am tearing into the headliner to pull some wires, so I need to come up with another solution.

I have been looking for a small chart/map light that could plug into the 12v outlets I have at the front of the cabover. I was not having a lot of luck finding a quality light, so I ordered a cheap one thinking I would change it over to LED. I did, but it was still a cheap light and I could not stand the feel of the thing. So it went into the bin of leftover parts from the camper.

Then I came across the Luna LED Light from Goal Zero.
14101.jpg

I must admit that I only know two things about Goal Zero, they advertise in Overland Journal and they have a nice website. It does look like they make quality stuff.

Anyway, going to give one of these paired with a USB 12v outlet converter a try. :)

Amazon Link for Stick Light
Amazon link for USB 12v outlet converter

RickNV

Observer
Tardis, Snap on has some interesting stuff you might make use of. You might consider some rechargeable led flashlights that are like hockey pucks (i have seen them somewhere) that have magnetic bases that could attach to different places inside your camper.

KALED.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior