The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Installed some L-track, mostly for use when showering.

9o8c.jpg

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Lifting Panel Trim

I had noticed that the soft-wall was getting pinched between the lifting panels creating small wear areas. I wasn't really sure what to do about it, except to be more careful with folding in the pop-top fabric.

GCecchetto noticed the same thing happening when he started using his refurbished camper with the new lifting panels and new pop-top fabric. (Link to his post)

el chubasco noted his solution:

I had the same experience with the new FWC lift panels rubbing my sideliner. I installed some 1/4" trim lock around all the edges (one sided barb is enough). No problems since and I think it gives them a "finished" appearance.

Sure thing, I picked up the trim lok from Grainger for about $26. One roll was sufficient, and I have an old 1998 FWC ranger which is close to a modern Eagle so you may want two packages.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/TRIM-LOK-INC-Vinyl-Edge-Trim-10C951

Here is a cell phone picture I took when I was installing it...not the best so if you want more, just let me know. It is tough to get onto the panel, but the key is persistance. Once on the panel it has never wanted to come off.

View attachment 181140

I went ahead with el chubasco's solution, but I ordered a similar product from McMaster Carr. I was hoping the stuff I ordered would not take as much "persistence" to get on, but did it ever. I ordered #24175K45 from McMaster, but I recommend trying to find something easier to install.

Anyway, it is on now and hopefully it stops the wear and chafing that was happening in that area.

Here is a poor photo, it was wet and raining and I was eager to get inside. Still a poor photo, sorry.

qyzx.jpg

If this works I would recommend anybody with the new composite lifting panels to do something similar, if they are having wear problems.

Edit: Okay, here is a better photo. :)

yj1a.jpg

Last edited:

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Hadley you and el chubasco are awesome. I noticed the wear on mine too and chalked it up to the way things go with a FWC. I will be ordering the product from McMaster when I get home. Thank you once again!

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Hadley you and el chubasco are awesome. I noticed the wear on mine too and chalked it up to the way things go with a FWC. I will be ordering the product from McMaster when I get home. Thank you once again!

No problem, the original credit goes to el chubasco.

Hopefully this takes care of the problem.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Bottle Jack

I ordered a Norco bottle jack to replace the factory screw jack. I figured with the added weight on the rear it would not hurt to have a burlier jack.

I went with the 3-ton Norco, as it looked like it will fit in the stock mount. ....

It fits!

Nice and snug in the stock location.

vlrf.jpg

The quality of the Norco (made in Japan) is so much better than the regular bottle jack you buy from Amazon. I am very happy with it. And the customer service was good from Jack-X-Change, I highly recommend ordering from them.

Last edited:

westyss

Explorer
Thats the back door so its either for a small deck like object, where you could put a bike or something, maybe even a shelf for cooking on once at camp, or a location to mount a tarp from there to the ground for wind protection. (something I am considering) but the size is a bit deceiving??...........

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Sorry guys, but I had to leave my computer in town. So the descriptive photos of the little hooks under the door will have to wait till tomorrow.

I am enjoying hearing what all they could also be used for. :ylsmoke: Keep the ideas coming.

Last edited:

RickNV

Observer
those are hooks to catch you if you fall out of your camper- they catch your belt and keep you from landing on your head !!!
excited to see....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne