The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

takesiteasy

Adventurer
"I hate to say it, but the 725 lbs. Eagle weight is to low. That doesn’t allow for any options. I let customers know that a standard outfitted Eagle (seven options - extended cabover, jack brackets, fridge, furnace, power vent, screen door, battery system) might weigh about 820 - 850 lbs.

Nate, it would be great if you could hit a truck scale on your way home and let us know what your rig with the new camper weighs. I am contemplating the purchase of a Finch shell rather than Eagle partly due to weight concerns and am very curious about this issue.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have a 2010 Tacoma Extra cab TRD, ARB bull bar and a 9000 Warn winch, Old Man Emu suspension and I was closing in on purchasing my Eagle. At a gross vehicle weight of 1360 lbs. (probably less) my Tacoma was apparently not up to the task. This is one of the clincher emails I got from the Canadian dealer for FWC.
"I hate to say it, but the 725 lbs. Eagle weight is to low. That doesn’t allow for any options. I let customers know that a standard outfitted Eagle (seven options - extended cabover, jack brackets, fridge, furnace, power vent, screen door, battery system) might weigh about 820 - 850 lbs.
I should note that the bed bars and box mat add some weight as well as the options noted. The extended cabover is standard now but the listed weights on the webpage do not include it in the base weight.
Most customers decide they want the unit even if it is a bit overweight and add airbags to make the truck ride level."

With myself my wife two cattle dogs and gear I am over the GVW by 200lbs. Even at the max weight one should consider a few things to keep safety in mind like bigger brakes.
I am totally bummed, I could see my life being a lot better in the FWC but now I am back looking at roof top tents and a trailer. How do you guys manage with what seems like a camper that is geared toward the Tacoma size and rated trucks?
This is one of the threads that have inspired me over the past year while saving and planning for the big day, but the big day looks like a long ways away.
Good luck on your FWC I await the continuation of this thread AFTER you have it on your truck.
Bill

Yes, the weight for the camper is without options. You can get a list of the option weights from FWC, but it would be nice if it was online. Maybe on the new website, along with several other basic and necessary things?

Those options listed are heavy items; fridge, furnace, battery. Just those three things will weigh well over 100 pounds. That is why I went with a shell model. Somewhere in this thread I listed all the things that would be nice to have in a camper but I am not doing strictly based on their weight. For a full camper, with all the nice things to have, you will want a 1 ton truck.

Also think about the weight of your current rig. The ARB and winch are heavy, the main reason I do not have them. But also remember that a RTT weighs about 100 pounds, and if you mount it on a topper that is more weight added. My topper was about 300 pounds!

One last thing, my rig is mostly for solo travel. And going solo helps keep the weight down.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Nate, it would be great if you could hit a truck scale on your way home and let us know what your rig with the new camper weighs. I am contemplating the purchase of a Finch shell rather than Eagle partly due to weight concerns and am very curious about this issue.

I will weight the truck empty, and then again after I get the camper on. Only thing is that this first weighing will be at two different scales. At some point this spring I will get it weighed at the same scale.

I also thought about going with a Finch because it is a little lighter, but I do not think it is much lighter. In the end the extra length in the Eagle allowed me to have a couch and ''dinette'' style seating, and I can also sleep with the top down in it.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
The long awaited mystery camper is officially on the road !

Only a couple days to go Mr. Overland Hadley and your camper will arrive.

:)

Let's hope the weather is good and the camper doesn't get too dirty on the way out there.

:(

Here is a teaser photo of your new backpack

:)

Enjoy your weekend.

Attachments

• overland hadley.jpg
    overland hadley.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 84

NothingClever

Explorer
I have a 2010 Tacoma Extra cab TRD, ARB bull bar and a 9000 Warn winch, Old Man Emu suspension and I was closing in on purchasing my Eagle. At a gross vehicle weight of 1360 lbs. (probably less) my Tacoma was apparently not up to the task.

I replaced my leaf pack (Alcan), added air bags and re-geared (4.88) my 2002 Toyota Tacoma.

No regrets. Great driving manners in ALL conditions. Might not easily fly down the highway at 80mph anymore but it'll handle tough trails and mountain passes without breaking a sweat.

Best of luck!

DSC01056.jpg

IMGP1487.jpg

Valkraider

My Raven order is in. :)

2008 Chevy crew cab 1500 2wd

Dinette configuration
No fridge
No hot water
No porta potty

Mechanical jacks
Aluminum jack brackets
Side awning
Side awning light
Rear awning
2 fans (possibly upgraded to 6600s)
Aux battery system + second battery
Screen door
Wired for solar some day
Furnace
Rear Wall AC
Silver-Spur interior & Exterior

Gonna have to drive 650 miles to Wisconsin to pick it up. :)

Gonna have to make two payments and the juice is flowing long before it is even on my truck. :(

My estimated weight of the whole shebang is hovering around 1000lbs.

Truck payload is 1900lbs. I plan on adding Roadmaster Active Suspension leaf spring assists, upgrading my tires to E rated(unless they are already E - I haven't bothered checking yet).
I shouldn't need much more for truck upgrades. I will see how the brakes do and watch the transmission temps.

--
"Officer, I know I was going faster than 55mph, but I wasn't going to be on the road an hour." -Steven Wright

Posted from my iPhone using the "Tapatalk" app.

Boggie

I have a friend with an Eagle on his Tacoma 4 door with airbags. The only thing he thinks is lacking is braking power. Has anyone tried to modify a new generation Tacoma with beefier brakes? Anyone point me to a link that explains the process please? NothingClever, nice photos and getting a Tacoma to haul a FWC legally and safely has got to be possible.
Thanks for weighing in about weight all.
Bill

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I have a friend with an Eagle on his Tacoma 4 door with airbags. The only thing he thinks is lacking is braking power. Has anyone tried to modify a new generation Tacoma with beefier brakes? Anyone point me to a link that explains the process please? NothingClever, nice photos and getting a Tacoma to haul a FWC legally and safely has got to be possible.
Thanks for weighing in about weight all.
Bill

I have never felt my brakes were lacking, and my 07 Tacoma has rear drum brakes. It may have to do with my driving style, slow and steady. I have had my Tacoma loaded up much heavier than the camper will be, and out of interest I tested the brakes, I could tell the truck was heavier but the brakes were still strong. Just my opinion.

Jeff Wanamog here on ExPo has upgraded his brakes. And I think he comes from a racing background, or he is at least is well versed in go fast cars.

Boggie

Overland Hadley
Nobody is going to question you with regards to research regarding FWC campers, this thread is testimony to that.I am pretty sure that not too many Taco owners hauling Eagles have modified their brakes either, most but bags on, leaf spring kits, shocks and struts to handle the load I just wanted so see what you thought of the weight issues associated with FWC. My 2010 has anti lock brakes and the experience driving with them is very different than my old 1999 Taco.
Thanks for your opinion.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Overland Hadley
Nobody is going to question you with regards to research regarding FWC campers, this thread is testimony to that.I am pretty sure that not too many Taco owners hauling Eagles have modified their brakes either, most but bags on, leaf spring kits, shocks and struts to handle the load I just wanted so see what you thought of the weight issues associated with FWC. My 2010 has anti lock brakes and the experience driving with them is very different than my old 1999 Taco.
Thanks for your opinion.

I hope Jeff chimes in (or you can PM him) because I know he has worked with his brakes.

I know that because of my driving style the stock brakes work for me. If you drive faster than a grandma with the camper on I am sure upgraded brakes would be nice. So would a supercharger! But I come from a background of small cars and Subarus, and I feel confident in my Tacoma.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne