The TARDIS - A Four Wheel Camper Build

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Outside Wall Steps

I would like to have steps not only on the rear wall, but also a couple on the sides. (A rig over on Wander the West has steps on the side walls, makes sense to me.) This would make it easier to access a cargo box and also make strapping boats down easier.

This is what I have found, they are mast steps for use on a sailboat, and are made from a composite material. I like the way they lock closed when folded, and they look like they will make a nice handhold or place to hang something from.

The only thing I do not like about them is that you can't rotate your foot from one side to the other while standing on them. But I think it is an okay trade off.

Thoughts, ideas?

www.maststep.com

mssmall.jpg

Last edited:

RR1

Explorer
Thanks.

I am working on a small lightweight sink/counter top. I do not need a fridge. I like to have a stove that I can use outside...

I have been looking at both the Flip Pac and the FWC, as I recently sold my rig, and going to build up a new adventure truck. Kinda leaning towards the FWC, since I do backcountry skiing. I found a wrecked late model Tacoma. The rear has been smashed, perfect candidate for a flat bed/camper. Flat bed would have tool boxes with either a FWC, or a Flip Pac bolted to the top of the tool boxes.

Thinking of doing a small collapsible table that hinges to the side of the inner camper wall, keep it folded up whole hauling gear. Deployed while in camp mode. I do currently have two 24X48" portable tables that work great for cooking on outside the vehicle. Small enough to fit across the front of the bed of the truck, they take up very little room when stowed. I bought them at ACE.

Cosco-Molded-Folding-Table-HSL_i_H39397.jpg

Last edited:

Overland Hadley

on a journey
The rear has been smashed, perfect candidate for a flat bed/camper. Flat bed would have tool boxes with either a FWC, or a Flip Pac bolted to the top of the tool boxes.

FWC makes flat bed models for the overseas market. Best way to go in my opinion. Talk to Stan at FWC, and be sure to keep us up to date if you build a flat bed FWC!

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
That's a very good point !
The photo I saw of a flatbed version (in Oz) had the door on the side, also.

FWC makes flat bed models for the overseas market. Best way to go in my opinion. Talk to Stan at FWC, and be sure to keep us up to date if you build a flat bed FWC!

tnt

Observer
Will you be able to close or remove your tailgate while the camper is attached? In the open position, you can not access the mechanism to raise and lower the spare tire. You can probably make something with a swivel in it to get around this, but should be aware of it before you find out the hard way.

eugene

Explorer
Will you be able to close or remove your tailgate while the camper is attached? In the open position, you can not access the mechanism to raise and lower the spare tire. You can probably make something with a swivel in it to get around this, but should be aware of it before you find out the hard way.

Where is the spare winch crank if the camper blocks it, mine is in the bumper. Two of the three sections of the handle work it when the tailgate it up but if the gate is down you add the third to get the handle out past the tailgate.

joelweb

That is why they make screens.:ylsmoke:

Fair enough, but given the mounting placement of the gas struts, it doesn't look easy to mount screens over the big side wing openings. They would most likely have to be on the little sliding windows. I'm sure you could put something up, but that thing wouldn't be as practical as it looks for camping in my country. Head to a dryer place and I'm sure it would be great...

kcowyo

ExPo Original

Good point. Don't know about the new body-style Tacomas like Overland Hadley's, but I wouldn't be able to access the hole to thread the crank through to drop the spare tire, if I left my tailgate on and in the 'open position'...

I couldn't remove the tailgate without raising the rear of the camper several inches. It's been a long time since I've had my tailgate on, but IIRC, I think I need about a 45* angle to install or remove the tailgate. Not much of an issue I guess if you have the jack stands attached to the camper full-time, but if one doesn't travel with their jackstands attached (like me), this could be a small problem if you have a flat and need your spare tire.

I do like the idea of leaving the tailgate on & down (can't close mine with the camper on) as a platform to carry water and/or gas cans outside of the camper, rather than hanging them off the rear wall or stored up on the roof. I've struggled for years with a solution for carrying an extra fuel can with a FWC. I've taken to storing it inside the camper but I don't really like doing it. That said, I've yet to have an issue or any leaks with the Scepter fuel can stored inside while bouncing around on rough trails in places like Death Valley and the Maze in Utah.

:coffee:

RR1

Explorer
Fair enough, but given the mounting placement of the gas struts, it doesn't look easy to mount screens over the big side wing openings. They would most likely have to be on the little sliding windows. I'm sure you could put something up, but that thing wouldn't be as practical as it looks for camping in my country. Head to a dryer place and I'm sure it would be great...

I like the big doors to get gear in and out, most likely only screen the back opening. Wouldn't sleep with the side doors open anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles