First attempt at a trailer

fingas

Observer
Looks clean now load it up and go camping somewhere.

Took it to Hidden Falls this past weekend. It sure was nice not to have everything in the back of the FJ on the way there. It tows beautifully but could definitely use some shocks which is on the list of things to do this weekend.

List:

fab shock mounts
mount shocks
build rack for RTT
buy RTT
Install RTT
Fab mounts and skids for water tank above axle
Start building slide out kitchen
and the list goes on

I am going to take full advantage of the current weather and get as much fabbing done as possible.

fingas

Observer
Just a suggestion:
You may want to hit that one again just to be safe. Looks like a cold weld, sort of sits on top rather than penetrating into the base metal. Grind flush (maybe even grind a "V' in the joint) and run a new bead so you won't have any issues on the trail.

I took a look at it when i got home last night and I think part of why it looks a little off here is that the edge you see right above the weld bead is actually 1/2" closer to the camera than the weld bead is. In this picture, due to angle, you don't see the whole bead just the portion that is touching the frame portion. My camera took the final plunge this past weekend (dropped it down an obstacle) but i will try to get better pictures later.

F3X

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4RrDeUKcH4&feature=related"]YouTube - Mig Welding Technique Taught by Old Timer[/ame]

Since you are learning welding (as are most of us) this guy has some good info and tips about welding. Your stuff looks better than most on a first time project. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

fingas

Observer
I hadn't had time to do much to the trailer recently but finally got the rack built and the tent mounted
145.jpg

Then this morning i changed the door from dropping down to swinging to the side and built stabilizers for the rear
147.jpg

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
That swing out door looks like the perfect place to put a drop down table for a kitchen. Maybe even cut a hole in the table top for a drop in sink.

Just thinking out loud!

Nice build BTY!

fingas

Observer
That swing out door looks like the perfect place to put a drop down table for a kitchen. Maybe even cut a hole in the table top for a drop in sink.

Just thinking out loud!

Nice build BTY!

I have a couple of ideas for that area. I already carry folding tables so i was going to mount cup/spice/plate/utensil holders on the tailgate and put the folding table either under it or off to the side. Probably going to mount a paper towel holder on the door as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior