Auxiliary Cell Phone Antennas

sargeek

Adventurer
Does anyone have experience using a auxiliary cell phone antenna such as this? Would it be worth the $30.00 investment?

304202.jpg

or

301101.jpg

fire931

Adventurer
i run a full booster on my truck.. which also uses an exterior antenna. never used just an antenna though so can't comment on that.

sargeek

Adventurer
I'm thinking about getting a booster, but I thought I would try an antenna first!

Reviews on either products would be helpful.

fire931

Adventurer
currently i have been running the wilson electronics booster hooked to a phone cradle for my blackberry. it works great. i get signal in places that NO ONE else gets it regardless of the carriers. i can be sitting somewhere and only have 1-2 bars of signal, pop the phone in the cradle and will jump to full signal.

what phone and service do you have?

dzzz

Do the wilson antennas work without a booster? I've found that Wilson products are very specific in how they intend the items to work.
So you have a phone with an antenna connection?

98roamer

Explorer
I did some testing last month in Big South Fork Nation River and Recreation Area while I was camping, with the Wilson 30amp booster and the Laird Phantom TRAB806/17103P Multi-band antenna. I was able to increase a -110 to -95 or better for the signal strength. That would be no bars to one or two depending on phone manufactor. I was using it with Sprint and AT&T air cards. Thanks to work for providing all the equipment and the time off.

I would highly recommend the Wilson equipment, just do your research because it can add up quicly.

My basic setup is around $550. I've never been without a signal, if that's important, but also shows that I haven't been really far enough out in the woods.

BorntoVenture

Adventurer
Ahh, a thread that involves part of my everyday job! An antenna alone is not going to do very much at all. I have a box of 50-something different antennas and none of them would boost true signal more than .08-.40 dB.

Boosters on the other hand are worth their weight in gold around this area. I've had many different demo units and tried several brands and Wilson has come out on top. These are links to the two kits we use now:

http://www.repeaterstore.com/products/Wilson-841295-Wilson-841295-Ambulance-and-RV-Repeater-Kit

http://www.repeaterstore.com/products/Wilson-841233-Wilson-841233-Mini-SignalBoost-RV-Kit

I have no affiliation or have ever dealt with the company above, I just found the products there since Wilson's site is being re-worked.

sargeek

Adventurer
I have Verizon service, with a LG Phone. I though my phone had an antenna port on the back, and I was looking for an auxiliary antenna to connect it to. I am working an event in a couple of weeks, and cell phone coverage is weak due to the terrain. I considering investing in an antenna for less the $50 to see how it works. However, since my phone does not have an antenna port, I am SOL.

In the next couple of months I will be upgrading to a DROID 2. It appears that the phone does not have an antenna port either, so eventually I will spring for a Wilson adapter.

fire931

Adventurer
i have a booster system sitting in my office not being used.. feel free to make me an offer on it if you'd like. :D

sargeek

Adventurer
Thanks for the tempting offer. I'm a bit poor this year, the era of "Hope and Change" has turned into the year of "change and hope" - its horrible not being able to feed my habbit.

CJCA

Adventurer
Does anyone have experience using a auxiliary cell phone antenna such as this? Would it be worth the $30.00 investment?

304202.jpg

or

301101.jpg

I have and use both of the above antennas. They can make a very weak, spotty signal turn into a usable one. But there needs to be some signal there. Neither will pull in a signal if the standard phone antenna doesn't sense a signal to begin with. From reading the other posts, it sounds like a signal booster is in my future.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Does Wilson make a unit that does not require the phone to be a cradle? I'd love to have something that boosted the signal but I was still able to have the phone in my hand.

sargeek

Adventurer
I think if the phone has an external antenna jack, then you do not need a cradle. If the phone does not have a antenna jack, then you use the phone with a cradle, and then have to use a headset of sorts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles