Using fridges in high bear populated areas

cruisertoy

Explorer
that vid looks like a yeti cooler from the shape and latches.

http://www.yeticoolers.com/

Interestingly enough the Engel and Yeti of that style are almost identical. If you talk to Engel they saiy Yeti knocked them off and vice versa. I own the Engel and an Engel fridge. I'm not sure the either seal if going to stop a bear from smelling the food inside. There will be food scent all over that cooler given its use.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
what about if its stached in my slide in camper and unseen? they HAVE to know theres food in the camper...

how big is a bear box? I have a 63qt fridge..

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I asked this exact question about a year ago here on ExPo, got lots of responses, but in the end, no one was really sure about. I'm headed to Yosemite in 2 weeks, I'll be using a cooler stuffed into the bear locker, and NOT our ARB fridge for this trip. Yogi is too strong to jeopardize my family or gear over.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
RE: putting a fridge in a bear box

You could put your Engel or ARB fridge in the bear box and just leave it off overnight. Depending on the weather of course. When I sleep in the rig with the fridge I turn it off so it does not wake me up with it's power cycle. I should mention that it's in a insulated bag so it helps keep it at the same temp.

Another thing you could do is stash it in the bear box with a portable battery. I've powered MT35 off one of those portable battery jump packs overnight with no problem.

xtatik

Explorer
The seals on fridges or Pelican cases and the weatherstrip on your vehicle (combined) make no difference with a bears sense of smell. The best you can prepare is to cover the fridge/chest and disguise it. This usually works well in campsites/campgrounds as you can expect someone (other campers) nearby won't have taken these measures. Bears are opportunists, and want to expend the least amount of calories in order to be fed. If someone else leaves their food storage visibly exposed, you'll be fine. When a bear walks into a campsite their noses become overwhelmed with opportunity, it then becomes the eyes that sort the easiest meal.
With backcountry bears it's a different ballgame. The best measure then is to always leave somenone to guard the vehicle. A human presence is usually enough to keep a backcountry bear away.

bftank

Explorer
we just got back from doing some minivan camping up on grand mesa in colorado. we made sure everything that could have smelled like food was put back in the van, grill, cooler, everything. no bear cages there.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
You could put your Engel or ARB fridge in the bear box and just leave it off overnight. Depending on the weather of course. When I sleep in the rig with the fridge I turn it off so it does not wake me up with it's power cycle. I should mention that it's in a insulated bag so it helps keep it at the same temp.

Another thing you could do is stash it in the bear box with a portable battery. I've powered MT35 off one of those portable battery jump packs overnight with no problem.

That doent work in the Sierras during the day when you are most likey out hiking or fishing and away from the rig all day, and buying external power sources.... Couple bags of ice is about $5. I think that's a win, at least for my family.

HB 4X4

Adventurer
That doent work in the Sierras during the day when you are most likey out hiking or fishing and away from the rig all day, and buying external power sources.... Couple bags of ice is about $5. I think that's a win, at least for my family.

Also, since the new ARB's have the drain hole I bet you would be fine loading it up with ice to keep it in the bear box.

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Or 30minutes before you want to put it in the bear box set it to the coldest setting. That should buy you some additional time.

-Sam

Cabrito

I come in Peace

Yeah,
Definitely not the total solution, but for me it might work. I carry one of the jump packs in all my vehicles, so it's not an additional cost. I'm not sure about powering a fridge all day either. I've done it once but not more than a day.
For me the jump pack is a component of my recovery gear since I don't have dual batteries. They are really nice accessories with lots of potential uses.

So far I've never had any issues with fridge in the car. Spent a week in Yosemite and just left it in and on for the week.

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
What if you disguised the smell of food coming from the fridge with something like Febreze?

So far i've been pretty lucky with no bears snooping around my rig but the power pack with fridge inside the bear box is a good idea.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Anyone been to Nelder Grove? We're heading up later today. I don't know if there are bear boxes at that location. We will likely hoist it up a tree if need be.

freeze

Adventurer
Having some food go bad is far better than losing a door or worse.

-Sam

I believe that food going bad is worse for attracting bears. Couple perimeter cables attached to a bear banger. :D

• [*]Hang your food in a tree at least 300' away from camp in a tree or 10' up
    [*]Hang your garbage at least 300' away from camp in a tree or 10' up
    [*]Don't bring food into your tent
    [*]Change your clothes from cooking to sleeping and leave it in your Toyota
    [*]If you are leaving food in your Toyota, make sure they are sealed in both zip locks, the fridge and or a drybag.
    [*]Carry bear spray with you and make sure you know how to use it! :D
    [*]Try to not wear good smelling perfume or deodorant
    [*]Keep your dogs on a leash at camp as they can provoke and attract bears

[*]Clean your wounds and blisters

[*]Camp 100' away from your fire pit/cooking area

[*]Clean your dishes 100' away from your c
    amping area downwind[/I]
- CT4WD.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member