LATEST PROJECT - Truck Drawers/Sleeping Platform

cwood

I had thought of it and ruled it out. But you are making me think again. How stable is it extended out? I want to extend as far as only leaving 1.5 feet in. Are the rollers loose enough in the tracks that it would droop in that case?

dyogim

Explorer
I had thought of it and ruled it out. But you are making me think again. How stable is it extended out? I want to extend as far as only leaving 1.5 feet in. Are the rollers loose enough in the tracks that it would droop in that case?

I only used 4 rollers on each side and they were spread out about 16" apart. Depending how many rollers you use and how you frame it up, you can make it really stable.

I figured if the rollers and rails can hold up the garage door panels, they should be able to withstand a load while being rolled. For a weight test, I had nine 5 gallon water jugs filled and it worked really well. The hard part was pulling the weight.

cwood

I only used 4 rollers on each side and they were spread out about 16" apart. Depending how many rollers you use and how you frame it up, you can make it really stable.

I figured if the rollers and rails can hold up the garage door panels, they should be able to withstand a load while being rolled. For a weight test, I had nine 5 gallon water jugs filled and it worked really well. The hard part was pulling the weight.

Looking at my own garage doors there is a fair amount of slop between the rollers and the rails, not laterally but in the weight bearing directions in your configuration. Is this the case? The other concern is rattle noise when going over bumps. The closer tolerance of the bearing setup might limit this more.

Last edited:

dyogim

Explorer
Looking at my own garage doors there is a fair amount of slop between the rollers and the rails, not laterally but in the weight bearing directions in your configuration. Is this the case? The other concern is rattle noise when going over bumps. The closer tolerance of the bearing setup might limit this more.

Yes there is a fair amount of slop. Definitely not as tight as a heavy duty drawer slider. Because of that there is noise going over bumps. I'm looking at redesigning my platform to be setup for storage. Rather than sleeping. i plan on figuring out a way to minimize the slop with the rails and be able to pull the full length of the platform all the way out. I'll post up once I get it started.

rcksqrl

OP- what kind of weight have your bearing slider drawers handled? Love the concept and am planning on using it for a sliding spare tire tray if strong enough.......... Think it should be fine if I make the frame out of metal.

Thanks In advance

Sent from magic wish granting phone

abrugger12

Framing for storage etc

roadtripcrazed is there any available photos to see how you framed the storage areas and filled in the gaps around the wheel wells. Basically Ive got the plans down for the main carcass but just looking to see if you could provide some insight on how the rest of the top level was framed in. Incredible build again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz