Martin Canyon/Smiley Rock Trail Rehab

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I am looking forward to this event and the Friday night camping.....it will be good to show some positive 4wd work in the world.

1leglance

Great to have all the extra help possible, good to see you guys again also

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I have a sneaking suspicion that the FS will be overwhelmed by the large group of good folks!

I'm pretty sure the turnout will be much higher than anticipated - I've seen at least four forums with the info posted, and at least a few from each one planning to attend.

1leglance

great news mark...
but a please going out to everyone...in the past I have seen events like this where there seems to be a good showing but then folks start quietly opting out thinking there will be plenty of help and when the morning comes hardly anyone shows up

looking forward to a great time

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Thanks Lance - indeed, we will need everyone to get this done in a timely manner.

The hill climb is nearly solid volcanic rock/rubble, and it's going to take a lot of labor to rehab it. The top soil has been stripped off it, so it will be a big undertaking to loosen what's there and re-seed it.

We'll also be installing U channel barricades to keep people out. Think of a T post driver on steroids and you get an idea on how those go in.

tmac

Adventurer
Mark, do you have a rough guess on the amount of people coming? I ask because if I camp at Potato Patch I will need to come in reverse of the prefered travel direction. With not much room , if any to turn around in
Martin Canyon I/we my need to come in from the Jerome side. Also how long do you think it will take for your group to get to work area from your meeting spot?

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Tmac,

I really don't have any idea on time - we need to do paper work for everyone at the Safeway. All volunteers must sign the FS agreement so they are protected by FS Workers Comp in case of injury. We'll try to be heading out at 09:30 as planned, and it takes 30 to 45 minutes to get into the tank from Chino. We may also be removing a boulder from the trail on the way up. If not then, on the way down for sure.

Coming down shouldn't be an issue as far as turning around at the stock tank.

It would be best if everyone met us at the Safeway with the exception of you or those with you. It's important that the trail be posted as closed for the day, and that the sign be removed at the end of the day. I'm sure some folks will be going thru after the clean up, so that shouldn't be a problem.

You will have to sign the paperwork when we meet up with you.

Mark

toddz69

Explorer
but a please going out to everyone...in the past I have seen events like this where there seems to be a good showing but then folks start quietly opting out thinking there will be plenty of help and when the morning comes hardly anyone shows up

Guys like me - except I'm not quietly opting out because I think there'll be plenty of help :). I have to be in LA that weekend so unfortunately I won't make it.

Todd Z.

angusdevil

Adventurer
Hey Mark, any specific tools you would like to see us bring aside from shovels, rakes, picks? Would hate to see everyone show up with a bunch of shovels and nothing else. :p

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
We'll be digging water bars and re-seeding the hillside, so all the typical hand tools will be needed - shovels, rakes, digging bars, picks, or mattocks would all be useful. The soil is gonna be hard as a brick...

I'll bring a chain saw, don't anticipate needing it, but felling a tree may be one of the only ways to block the trail.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
I'll be bringing trash bags - not a lot of trash on the trail, but we'll get it all if possible.

Other than that, just need some strong backs and legs! I've been into the chiropractor 3 times recently, so I'm not feeling my normal strength. With plenty of help, it won't matter!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94