2011 F150 engine choices

haven

Expedition Leader
Pickuptrucks.com has a good description of the four engine choices available for the F150 light duty pickup. There are two V6s and two V8s in the options list for 2011. All will be paired with the same six speed automatic trans.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/0...duty-engines-for-2011-f150-pickup-trucks.html

Most intriguing is the direct injected 3.5L turbo V6, which produces more hp and torque than the 5.0L V8. Expect 400 hp and 400 lb-ft from this engine. The 6.2L V8 produces less than 10% more power than the turbo V6.

The V6's torque peak is reached low in the rpm range. The turbo V6 and 6.2L V8 have the same tow rating! Ford decided to cancel its 4.4L V8 diesel project because of the power and fuel economy of this gas V6.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm very optimistic about the EcoBoost V6. The estimated power sounds great, I hope the economy is 'up there' too.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
In lieu of a downsized diesel,the Ecoboost V6 sounds promising. Hopefully,Ford will beef up the block sufficiently to handle the engine power and the loads that it will be subjected to. They're pumping out some good products these days. All without a dime of "stimulus" money.

dragogt

Adventurer
Lincoln MKT with Ecoboost V6 test drive, and purchase...

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19575

If by wheezy you mean sluggish, it's far from that..355HP/350tq...the fuel mileage isn't really a concern, the overall driveability is...and I will keep you updated!
Apparantly the torque is all in at 1500 rpm and is flat until 5000.
Reading around on the net gives it a 0-60 in the 6-6.5 second range and 14.5 at 95 in the quarter...which ain't too shabby IMO for it.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Wow, that ecoboost v6 sounds like a gamechanger. Can't wait to see more about it. When will it come out?

haven

Expedition Leader
Ford announced the dyno numbers for the EcoBoost direct injected turbocharged 3.5L V6 for the 2011 F150: 365 HP, 420 lb-ft of torque.

Important for truck use, the EcoBoost V6 has 90% or more of its torque available from 1700 rpm to 5000 rpm. That means 375 ft-lbs or more across the usable rev range.

Pickuptrucks.com says the V6 has more power and torque than any V8 currently offered by any manufacturer in a half-ton pickup. The only exception is the Raptor, which has a 6.2L V8 tuned to produce 411 hp and 434 lb-ft.

Another interesting stat is that the F150 with EcoBoost V6 has the same tow rating as the 6.2L F150, 11,300 lbs.

Silverado

Adventurer
Good ol' Ford trucks just got better...now if only they could get rid of the bloated brick styling of the F150s

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Bring It

I love those quoted power numbers Haven. I'm looking forward to the MPG numbers too. :victory:

Here is something to consider: my first diesel pickup, a 1993 Dodge/Cummins, made only 400 lb-ft and 160 HP. The EcoBoost V6 should drive much better with similar low-end torque and much more HP!

Last edited:

bdbecker

Adventurer
Better than the 90s melted jellybean styling

Hey now, go easy, I love my melted jelly bean!

IMG_5438cropped.jpg

I am dissapointed that the diesel didn't make it into the lineup, but that EcoBoost is pretty impressive. Call me old fashioned, but I'd probably opt for the 5.0 V8. There's just something about twin turbos that scares the crap out of me down the road. I know they've done great things to improve reliablity over the years, but a good ole low compression, naturally aspirated V8 is hard to beat for reliability in my mind. Still, kudos to Ford for bringing it to the table.

emoddriver

all good, except the resale for current truck owners w/ the 5.4 -now obsolete and thirsty...

As for resale on my '97 Ill likely drive my thirsty (10mpg towing the racecar) 5.4 engine into the ground if I dont rebuild/refresh. Hopefully ill have an option to fit one of these new fancy turbo engines in after they prove their reliability!

-Mark

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
The only concern is long term durability of a twin turbo truck motor.
Otherwise, that's an exciting motor

I'll take the 6.2 Raptor but a FX4 w/ the TTV6 sounds good, at least in theory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior