haven

Expedition Leader
Now we've got the prices for Ford's F150 engine options

3.6L V6 standard
5.0L V8 add $1000
EcoBoost V6 add $1750 over standard
6.2L V8 add $2995 over standard

So the EcoBoost V6 provides almost as much power as the 6.2L V8,
is more fuel efficient, and costs $1245 less.

bronconut

Observer
Should be later this fall ( I'm a Ford tech, 20+ years ) The new Explorer will also have the option of the 260+ HP Ecoboost 4 cylinder:Wow1: The times they are a changing I never thought I'd see another Ford gas motor with a turbo.

Silverado

Adventurer
Should be later this fall ( I'm a Ford tech, 20+ years ) The new Explorer will also have the option of the 260+ HP Ecoboost 4 cylinder:Wow1: The times they are a changing I never thought I'd see another Ford gas motor with a turbo.

I bet you hated seeing the SVO mustangs and Turbocoupe Thunderbirds in your service bay!

Layonnn

Adventurer
the HP and TQ numbers for the ecoboost V6 are very good.

I wonder what kind of mileage they are expecting to get with a 4dr F-150.

While the power looks to be close to that of a diesel, i doubt the mileage will be close to what they could have got with a diesel :(

dragogt

Adventurer

Ya but can you really call it an Explorer when its going from body on Frame to Unibody construction....

Rockcrawler

Adventurer
I have the ecoboost motor in my Flex, tuned to 350 hp and 350 ft/lbs. I am averaging about 20 mpg. It will get better than that on long highway runs, even with AZ's 75 mph speed limit. Great motor so far with power wherever you need it. I was looking for a Diesel SUV since I am used to the low end torque of the TDI Jetta and CTD Ram and this was the closest I could come in a vehicle that met all of our other parameters.

haven

Expedition Leader
So how does Ford convince skeptical V8 fans to buy the F-150 with EcoBoost V6? It runs the engine through a bunch of durability challenges, including the Baja 1000 later this year.

Ecoboost-baja-test.jpg

Ford should just put the EcoBoost engine in the Raptor chassis. That would be a very attractive package. Maybe we'll learn more at SEMA.

Read about Ford's plans here
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/0...to-prove-its-new-ecoboost-v-6-is-durable.html

A Ford video about the "EcoBoost Torture Test" is here
http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/2011/experiencef150/
The first chapter, showing dyno tests, is available now.
Additional videos about dragging logs around a lumber yard, and towing
a heavy trailer for 24 hours on a test track, will be available soon.

18seeds

Explorer
Did they change anything on the body?

Like the horrible chrome tail light trim?

Just called a local dealer and they said they should have it on the lot in January.

FreeManDan

Adventurer
Fords website wouldn't let me build and price my own :( if the price is right I would reconsider my plans to perches a v6 taco around summer 2011, I could go for more truck for the money...

haven

Expedition Leader
Ford invited auto journalists to drive 2011 F150s with the four new engines last week. The embargo on articles just lifted, so several web sites now have reports on how the new turbo V6 feels from behind the wheel.

Among the interesting tidbits, I read that the 3.5L turbo V6 in the F150 is quite a bit different than the turbo V6 motor Ford puts in the Edge crossover. Most important, the truck motor has variable valve timing on both intake and exhaust, while the engine in the crossover is variable on intake only. The extra control allows improved torque production across the rev range.

Pickuptrucks.com has a graph showing the zero to 60 times they recorded while at the press introduction. The 3.5L turbo V6 was fastest, besting the 6.2L V8. This was not a controlled test, since the tires, transmission and rear end gearing may not have been optimal for quick acceleration. But it's an indication that Ford has something good going on with the turbo V6.

Despite these results, Pickuptrucks.com says the 6.2L V8 is the better choice if you regularly tow heavy loads. And they predict that the MPG of the turbo V6 won't be a lot better than the V8 when towing.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/0...011-ford-f-150-62-v-8-and-summary-part-3.html

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Even if they are correct about the MPG:

If the V6 towing MPG isn’t much better (but still better?) and the unladen MPG is substantially better than the V8 that would be good enough for me.

snip....

Despite these results, Pickuptrucks.com says the 6.2L V8 is the better choice if you regularly tow heavy loads. And they predict that the MPG of the turbo V6 won't be a lot better than the V8 when towing.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/0...011-ford-f-150-62-v-8-and-summary-part-3.html

FreeManDan

Adventurer
RE: yeah!

I would like to see tests at high altitudes. My guess is the v6 turbo will compensate better
I must say, the only time I have ever felt my nissan frontier was under powered was this past summer when I maxed out passenger capacity and bed space and drove to Colorado. I got good mileage at altitude due to the mass airflow sensor telling the EFI to lean it out, but going 40 in a 60 up a steep grade was frustrating. While I was there I thought how much more performance and passanger room I could get on a trip like that with a forced induction f150. I'm exited...:sombrero:

haven

Expedition Leader
Ford entered two F150 Raptor pickups with Ecoboost V6 engines in this year's Baja 1000. Both suffered a variety of failures, none related to the engine. Mechanical issues included wheel bearing failure, driveshaft support bearing failure, shock failure, spindle failure, and a holed radiator.

One Raptor officially finished the race in 38 hours, 20 minutes. I expect we'll see commercials bragging about this shortly. The other truck was a few miles from the finish line when the time limit set by the organizers expired.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles