I joined the Cult

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I readjusted the trailer brakes last night and took a test drive and all of the weird rotational squeaks were gone, stopping is smooth and quiet. I also tested backing up the trailer now that I've added in two LED 18 watt floodlights on the back and visibility is much improved.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
photo from my recent trip
7065262641_6d93711bb9_z.jpg

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Great pics Jim...God willing, hope to make out summer to be lucky enough to meet the "due west" crowd...always enjoy the updates!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Pretty spots, Jim.
Wonder if a PW & huge teardrop could make it through?
Maybe we could meet Pat out there...

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Pretty spots, Jim.
Wonder if a PW & huge teardrop could make it through?
Maybe we could meet Pat out there...

PW?

There are some videos of guys with big old Landcruisers pulling lifted pop up trailers into the Maze through the Z turn to the Dollhouse rocks. We are thinking of going back to the Maze next year in April

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I would be up for that if there is room!!!! How is the coupler working out sir?

Maybe we could move the Maze trip discussion out of my trailer thread.

The new coupler has not seen any offroad action. It seems to work fine and is quiet. It is more of a pain to align and hitch up but I knew that going into the purchase

teotwaki

Excelsior!
My trailer received quite a bit of TLC in the last couple of days. :elkgrin:

I've had trouble with the RTT's zipper and after looking at do-it-yourself solutions I found that the Mombasa RTT ADVENTURE II (3 MAN RTT9010) tent cover is exactly the same as Camping Labs. Camping Labs unceremoniously went out of business so I ordered a new Mombasa cover from TRDParts4U and installed it with no trouble at all. The new zipper is almost effortless to close and open. I will need to try to blow out accumulated dust in the zipper during and after trips to see if that helps the zipper to stay happy.

Next I removed the memory foam mattress and took off and washed the cover. In the process I found that roughly 1/4 of the foam mattress is a glued on piece and you want to be careful about bending on that glued joint. I also re-taped the top of the bolt heads that poke above the floor of the tent on the inside. The manufacturer did not elect to use round head allen bolts but instead used packing tape to smooth out the profile. This keeps the mattress cover's fabric from tearing but eventually the tape wears out. Someday I will replace the bolts.

While I had the mattress out I replaced one of the two D rings that I installed on the bottom of the tent floor due to corrosion on the ring. I use the rings to tie down the hinged portion when winds might push underneath and start to fold the tent. I'll have to post a picture of the install.

After fixing everything up the trailer received a long-needed wash and then was covered with a tarp for now as I won't have a chance to use it until November. I also remembered to plug in the AC so that the battery tender could top off the nosebox batteries.

To do some of this I had to hitch the trailer up to move it onto the street and got some more hands-on practice with the new Max Coupler hitch assembly. Thanks to Bob Brown of Aspen Trails Trailers for the deal. I learned a few of the tricks that make hitching up go a little more smoothly such as keeping a can of silicone spray handy. It helps everything slide together more easily since it is all such a tight fit.

This is what happened to my Lock-N-Roll during the Maze district Expedition http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2013/08/utahs-maze-district-with-my-expedition.html
NKN_3864-1.jpg

NKN_3862-1.jpg

NKN_3860-1.jpg

The big pin on the right was loose enough to rotate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles