I joined the Cult

teotwaki

Excelsior!
First test fitting looks okay. Have a few fitment issues to iron out.

Upright position.

IMG_3487-1.jpg

Tilted down.

IMG_3489-1.jpg

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I've wanted to have a bottle opener mounted to the exterior of the trailer for those wild nights where I drink beer after beer and can't be trusted to not lose a handheld bottle opener. (I jest!) I just so happened to have completed a 10 mile race today and received this nifty finisher's "medal" that can be a wall mountable opener! Now I have to figure what spot of honor this keepsake will occupy on the outside of the trailer. :beer: :friday:

IMG_3774-1.jpg

IMG_3773-1.jpg

JPShooter

Adventurer
I just purchased a "plain jane" opener for my trailer and plan to mount it with Rivnuts. Seems simple enough.

Weld Mount looks interesting but it's pricey.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I just took the trailer out for 5 days last week in Nevada's high desert mountains. http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2017/04/a-2017-desert-renewal.html

It is hard to believe I've had the trailer for almost 7 years now! Everything hung together really well and it was great to have the hot water heater and shower tent along. I also brought along just about every toy I had for this trip so the trailer cargo box was full and a fair amount of the more expensive gear went into the truck.

NKN_3920-1.jpg

NKN_4005-1.jpg

NKN_3960-1.jpg

More notes:

The RTT's rain fly is getting pretty worn so I'll have to order one up somewhere and hope for a good deal.
I had some high winds one night that forced me to remove the wire rods that hold out the tent window fly's and rain fly because the rain fly is getting frayed.
The new spare tire holder has been really solid and it is nice that I can pull it off when not needed.
I rarely need the capacity of dual batteries in the nose box so I may switch to one battery when it is time to pull the originals.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I just took the trailer out for 5 days last week in Nevada's high desert mountains. http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2017/04/a-2017-desert-renewal.html

It is hard to believe I've had the trailer for almost 7 years now! Everything hung together really well and it was great to have the hot water heater and shower tent along. I also brought along just about every toy I had for this trip so the trailer cargo box was full and a fair amount of the more expensive gear went into the truck.

NKN_3920-1.jpg

NKN_4005-1.jpg

NKN_3960-1.jpg

More notes:

The RTT's rain fly is getting pretty worn so I'll have to order one up somewhere and hope for a good deal.
I had some high winds one night that forced me to remove the wire rods that hold out the tent window fly's and rain fly because the rain fly is getting frayed.
The new spare tire holder has been really solid and it is nice that I can pull it off when not needed.
I rarely need the capacity of dual batteries in the nose box so I may switch to one battery when it is time to pull the originals.

Dual batteries are hard to give up, unless you go the li-ion route....thanks, always love the trip reports Jim!

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Dual batteries are hard to give up, unless you go the li-ion route....thanks, always love the trip reports Jim!

You are welcome!

For all of the weight of the dual batteries I generally run some LED floods for the kitchen or the LEDs in the tent. Not very high current demands so the extra 39 pounds is not critical. The 7+ year old Optima Blue tops from the defunct Colorado plant just won't die so I'm in no rush to replace them. :sombrero:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
When I built my blog I dumped Image Shack as an image host. When I post threads here I link back to the pictures posted at my blog so in that changeover this thread lost a lot of the early photos. I will be updating my blog's account of the trailer and will go back through this thread to fix the broken image links that illustrated the build.

The direct link to the blog post is: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2014/02/my-expedition-vehicle-trailer.html

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The latest update to the trailer's tailgate

I resurrected and finished a trailer upgrade from 2011 that has somehow been passed over time and again. The original tailgate on the trailer was designed without a flat surface to pull cargo across. It was a pain to always have cargo boxes bump across and catch on the tailgate frame. A flat surface would also be great to act as a table for a stove, pelican box or other activities.

image2-5-1.jpeg

I was given a new piece of aluminum diamond plate by a member of the Expedition Portal who I met at the 2011 March Mojave Rendevous. All I needed was to cut the aluminum to size, provide slots for the cable anchors and screw it down to the tailgate.

Final results
image1-5-1.jpeg

It was so much easier sliding the cargo boxes back into the trailer!

More details on the blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2014/02/my-expedition-vehicle-trailer.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles