What radio

Tacovendor

Explorer
Being a CB, VHF guy, what would be a good ham radio for my project truck?
Knowing that I will need a HAM license, I would like to have one that has a remote head unit. Thanks fo rant input.:sombrero:

cletaco

Observer
Really any remote head from Icom or Yaesu will be good. I happen to prefer Icoms, but that is just because I prefer the looks of Icom radios.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
wow I am suprised. everyone used to recommend Galaxy 10 mtr radios. Personally I was always in love with the president HR2510. I always loved mine but the finals went out and I just have not gotten it fixed yet.

damaged110

Observer
0208.jpg

this is the one i run in the cruiser. it has a small faceplate and does not get in the way of anything like the larger face plate ones do. it is dual band and you can program it with a pc.

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
I like the Kenwood TM-V71A. I like the control layout and approach better than the comparable Yaesu's, and the buttons are illuminated (Yaesu's are not) which makes for easier operation at night.

One other unique aspect is the mic connects to the base unit, not the removable faceplate. That can either be really great or really bad depending on your installation strategy. My base unit is under the driver's seat, and I put a remote mic jack in the center console between the seat so either the driver or the passenger can easily reach the mic.

tm-v71s-v71.jpg

PhulesAU

Explorer
Icom 208H x2 mike attached to radio body. very small and light, good velcro will hold just fine. seperated head is about the size of 2 boxes of wood matches and wieghs just a bit more.

Last edited:

cruiserlarry

One Crazy FJ
Kenwood TM-D710A - best mobile radio I've used since I sold my TM-742 tri-bander....and APRS is awesome on the trails...:smiley_drive:

rambrush

Adventurer
I have only had the one radio and its a Icom 706MKIIG but if you are only going for a tech then its over kill your needs.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Just a note about the 208H. I have this model and like it fine. And although it is a dual bander its a single band display. But compact it is with a relatively large LED readout.

xtatik

Explorer
I have only had the one radio and its a Icom 706MKIIG but if you are only going for a tech then its over kill your needs.

I'd take your suggestion over any of the aforementioned....even if I had no intentions of upgrading beyond the Tech license.
If this were a forum for guys that just putted around in the cities, then I'd suggest a little 2m FM radio.

Last edited:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
The Icom 706 is indeed a nice radio. It also runs about $1,000, so quite a bit more than your typical 2m FM rig.

You may be able to find a good deal on a used model.

gary in ohio

Explorer
The Icom 706 is indeed a nice radio. It also runs about $1,000, so quite a bit more than your typical 2m FM rig.

You may be able to find a good deal on a used model.

The 706 is no longer in production and most dealers are sold out. If you can find them new there are $800-$900 new You can find them used in the 500-$800 range. The Icom 7000 is the replacement and is simillar size/feature radio with a color monitor.

I have 3 706's. One in my truck, one setup in a portable kit and a spare that gets moved around and loaned out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles