Our new SMB...

CSG

Explorer
Congratulations, great van! I think SMB must be one of the best solutions for people who want to get off the road a bit and to more remote places with a rig they can design themselves. Not too many options out there compete with a well-designed SMB for one or two people.

BTW, it's great your wife is so into it and not from namby-pamby land!

shawn_nj

Observer
Wow, congrats on the ultimate van setup! Does that aluminess rear bumper obstruct the rear doors from opening all the way? Been eyeing one up, but being I use my van as a hauler I can't limit the rear doors. Thanks in advance for any info on them!

tomesd

Observer
The swing arms on the bumper swing out ~120 degrees and allow the van doors to open almost as far. It doesn't restrict anything for our uses.

Last edited:

tomesd

Observer
Thanks! Ran errands in it today and at very place there were 3 or 4 people walking around it and asking tons of question- it definitely draws attention. I'm kinda glad I added all the security and tracking stuff just in case.

Adventurerider

Adventurer
Tomesd,

Who made the nets in the rear, (great Idea, tell your wife she came up with a good one!!!) and when you finally settled on a design how long did it take to get your van? So how long once they started working on it to delivery?

I'm really interested in your net Idea, that may work out great for what we are trying to achieve, so any extra info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Many happy miles and adventures to come,

Advrider!!!

tomesd

Observer
Tomesd,

Who made the nets in the rear, (great Idea, tell your wife she came up with a good one!!!) and when you finally settled on a design how long did it take to get your van? So how long once they started working on it to delivery?

I'm really interested in your net Idea, that may work out great for what we are trying to achieve, so any extra info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Many happy miles and adventures to come,

Advrider!!!

The nets are made by a company called "Raingler". We are extremely happy with how they turned out- so much so that I've called them with plans for additional netting in other areas of our SMB. They make cargo netting for jeeps mostly but can do custom stuff obviously. Very high quality and well made.

It took SMB west 14 weeks total from start to finish. They were supposed to start 4/13 but they actually started around the second week of may. The delivery date evolved into 8/2 and we took possession 8/3 in Vegas. We couldn't be happier with the way it turned out though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles