Pickuptrucks.com picks best HD trucks for 2011

haven

Expedition Leader
In an extensive article (14 web pages), Pickuptrucks.com tests the heavy duty pickups available in 2011.

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/2010-hd-truck-specs-and-testing-approach.html

The winners:

2500 SRW gas: 2011 Ford F-250 with 6.2-liter V-8
2500 SRW diesel: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
3500 DRW diesel: 2011 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD

The scoring included performance tests, fuel economy measurements, and subjective judgments. In several tests, the difference between vehicles was small. You may come to a different conclusion based on the importance you give to different aspects of the test.

The diesel tests were conducted before Ford boosted their 6.7L diesel's power output ratings. The reviewers said even if the 2500 Ford diesel had improved its results in the performance categories, the Chevy 2500 diesel had the advantage in other categories. So the winner of this category would still be the Chevy.

The results in the 3500 diesel category were closer. If tested again, Ford's increase in hp and torque may give it the win in some performance categories. It looks to me that this might be enough to give Ford the overall victory in this class. But the results would still be close.

haven

Expedition Leader
It's not easy deciding if a gas or diesel powered truck will be more economical.

In the fuel economy tests that included running with and without a 10,000 lb trailer, the 2500 trucks with gasoline engines averaged about 12 mpg. The 2500 diesels averaged about 16 mpg. That's a substantial difference.

Diesel fuel costs more per gallon than unleaded regular. All diesels in the test require the injection of diesel emissions fluid (DEF) and periodic injections of extra diesel to burn out the particulate filter as part of emissions control. So the cost per mile driven is not so different between gas and diesel engines.

However, if the extra torque of the diesel allowed you to tow heavier loads, that could mean fewer trips and/or fewer man-hours to complete a job.

And then there's the fact that the diesel trucks cost $15,000 more than their gas engine counterparts, as configured for this test. That means extra financing costs.

Decisions, decisions!

milo12

Adventurer
Yes I agree.

Having owned both big block gassers and diesels for many years I never thought I would recommend a gas over a diesel. The problem is the current 2008+ diesels with all the emissions equipment are a huge reliability problem and can not be driven off road reliably. They soot up with too much slow driving. That coupled with the fact that the mileage has come down significantly due to the emissions equipment lead me to recommend a gas motor. Basically the current state of diesel emissions equipment is where gas motors were in the late 70's. For those of you that don't remember, stay away, they where unreliable pieces of junk. Once it was all worked out the gas cars became reliable and efficient.

I have a 2008 Dodge Cummins. Mysteriously all the emissions stuff fell off and it is as reliable as a rock and gets 20 mpg off road. That is an 50% improvement in mileage over stock.

Last edited:
D

DEEZLPWR

i will stick with my 01 cummins and not deal with all that new emissions crap. soon the cat will be moving to the litterbox along with the muffler.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
i will stick with my 01 cummins and not deal with all that new emissions crap. soon the cat will be moving to the litterbox along with the muffler.
'98.5-'02 24v Cummins didn't require a cat in all 50 states. It came with a resonator and a muffler. No muffler will drone you to death under load. There are straight-through muffler designs that'll work well for you and preserve the peace in the neighborhood.

Albin

Adventurer
'98.5-'02 24v Cummins didn't require a cat in all 50 states. It came with a resonator and a muffler. No muffler will drone you to death under load. There are straight-through muffler designs that'll work well for you and preserve the peace in the neighborhood.

My kitty is in the garage and my muffler is now in an '03 7.3 from '06 6.0 PSD. I love the sound of my exhaust, no drone, but quiet unless I put my foot in it.

$45 each to get rid of the exhaust (permanently) and to install a "test pipe" where the kitty used to be. Best mod I did to my PSD.

Al

D

DEEZLPWR

didnt know that, ill have to look under the kilt and see what he has there. No cat, even better!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Some of the dealers up here in Canada are offering the diesel at no extra cost! I don't know how they can do that but if they are selling a diesel for a gasser price, I think it is a safe bet one should take the diesel. All things being equal, I bet they are just knocking the $7000 or so diesel upcharge off retail. Sounds like a good deal but you could probably get $7k off with some average negotiating skills anyway.

My 12 valve is straight piped (came that way) and as soon as a couple of other priorities are tended to, I will be putting a free flowing muffler on it. The resonance on hills on the highway is nasty. Not bad in town though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94